Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
kairatera

What type of merch do you usually buy at cons?

I've always wanted to be a vendor and was wondering what the most popular items are.
Typically, I enjoy seeing homemade things such as hats, amigarumi, and I've even bought some chain-mail items!
But, what do YOU like?
kairatera is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Curucar

Tshirts. And the occasional comission from an artist, but you can never go wrong with tshirts. (I came to the horrible realisation that half of my wardrobe was bought at cons...)
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
kairatera

I know what you mean! Same here~
kairatera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

DEpends. Usually just anything that has to do with my favorite stuff. I do buy art though. This last con I was too busy and poor to buy much, but I bought pokemon stuff for my POkemon cosplay and another item for another cosplay, But yea, other then art, stuff for cosplay lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Akaito (Vocaloid [Maybe])
-Link (Zelda OOT [Maybe])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

I heard many people buy those expensive Nendroids or such but I'm too poor for that lol.
Usually I stay away from figurines and go for the small accessories that can be used for cosplay. Otherwise, doujinshis. Never go wrong with doujinshis.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Shirayuki~Chan

I usually never buy from the dealers room, because I find everything to be wayyyy overpriced(and I'm cheap), but I do buy from the artist alley! Usually buttons, but I want to get some nice prints eventually~

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

I actually don't buy many things at cons, unless it is something super amazing and fantastic I found in the artists alley. I just find things to be waaaay too expensive. One thing that really made me realize this is at Con Nooga this year I really wanted the 10th Doctor's sonic screwdriver so I wondered around the dealers room and when I finally found one it was $50! I was floored, so I looked it up on my phone and on amazon I found the same one for $20. So yeah I tend to just stay away from that part of cons unless I am wondering around while my friends shop. ^^

All of this plus most of my money has usually already been spent on my cosplay, getting to the con and food; so I usually don't have any extra for cool gear from the dealers room.
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Plushies, keychains and cellphone charms, cute accessories for lolita, and art prints. Since I have so many t-shirts I try to avoid buying them but I break that rule when I see a really awesome one.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

Oddly enough I usually end up buying swords or weapons from the con, just because they're surprisingly cheap at the one I go to and a lot of the other vendors around them tend to sell their stuff for a more expensive price. Decoratively speaking-- they are gorgeous pieces, though their steel isn't intended obviously to be handled in live combat since they're probably not of any quality steel.

I also try to steer away from the food they sell as well and try to bring my own stuff, since you pretty much buy the exotic label and packaging more than you are for the food itself.

I like wandering the dealers room, but swords always seem like the only practical thing for me to buy, since I can find use for them by hanging them up as decoration in my room when they're not in use. Or I can use them for photo shoots. The thing about buttons is that I don't use them. T-shirts I won't wear them. And manga/DVDs/neodroids don't real appeal to my fancy.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Usually nothing. I don't really find anything I really want, or that I actually use to merit the cost of buying said item. The only thing I've bought so far was a shoulder bag for carrying stuff in and then an art drawing of a character I wanted to cosplay in the future. It makes a good reference shot and the outfit was gorgeous.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I don't buy much, but what I do purchase is generally something for an upcoming cosplay. I also (try to) collect figures of characters I cosplay.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Plushies, buttons, manga, artbooks and keychains if they tickle my fancy.^-^
In progress:
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Rin Matsuoka - 75%|
| Yuu Kashima - 70%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
Soporose

Sometimes plushies and figures depending on the price. But I really go crazy in the artist alleys. Prints, buttons, artbooks~ unf unf unf I buy 'em all >:3

Cosplays in progress
• Fem!Eren (Attack on Titan)
Soporose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
Hera_

I don't buy a lot. I usually get stuff for my partner (anything related to games he plays) or Doctor Who stuff for me. At my last convention I got a Doctor Who teapot, TARDIS and Dalek salt and pepper shaker and a pocket watch. Depends on the convention and how much money I have I guess
Alice - Alice: Madness Returns (Oz Comic Con Melbourne)
C.C. - Code Geass (AVCon Adelaide)
Sansa Stark - Game of Thrones (Supanova Adelaide, Armageddon Melbourne)
Upcoming Cosplays
Jane - Daria (unknown convention)
Hera_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
foxy
Professional Catgirl :)

As a comic artist myself, I always like to see any comics and graphic novels that folks are self producing in the artists alley, as well as prints.

I normally look for one plushie and one figurine that stand out. I do buy a fair few figures of characters I've cosplayed or will cosplay.
I've run out of wall space entirely for any more wall scrolls or posters at the moment!

Then, catching up whichever manga series I'm reading (though that's very few and far between at the moment).

If the con has folks selling loligoth and general goth wear then I've got to try very hard not to go crazy and overspend!
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote