Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
Amanita

As far as the Star Wars characters I suggested go, those are just the live action versions. They also appeared in animated form in the Clone Wars cartoons, both the 2d animated shorts, and the 3d series.

Here's the 3D version:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...araUnduli2.png

And here's the 2D version, greatly simplified and more "cartoony".
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...riss_cw_st.jpg
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
bubbleteaXD

bump
bubbleteaXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
eebee

If she likes comics, there's always Dust from the X-men! It would be fun to find a cool way to represent the dust; maybe light fabric scarves like people who cosplay benders from Avatar use.

You could also do some fun headdress type stuff with Diva Plavalaguna from The Fifth Element. I've seen cosplays of her with a much looser/less fitted costume as well, and it's always looked pretty good regardless.

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Red (with Subject Unknown)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)

Last edited by eebee : 04-29-2013 at 05:24 PM.
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleteaXD View Post
I understand what you're trying to say. But she asked for my help since she's nervous and doesn't have time and i really want to find something that she can be okay with and not offend people. I just want some starting ideas and from there, yeah. Before, we had a conversation about wearing wigs and turns out that was a no-no since it would be considered her hair and from there i got stumped of what cosplays she can do...Yep. I already have a list but the characters are from old animes so im wondering if any of the new ones have characters that can be work out, like magi. ^^
She wouldn't have to wear a wig - she could just wear a hijab or scarf in the colour of the character's hair or simply a coordinating colour. You could do that for almost any character. she doesn't need to be limited to ones that already are covered - you can be creative and make anything work ! And like I said, for showing skin, you can modify the costume, that's something people do all the time because they're not comfortable.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
MitsukaiEievui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
She wouldn't have to wear a wig - she could just wear a hijab or scarf in the colour of the character's hair or simply a coordinating colour. You could do that for almost any character. she doesn't need to be limited to ones that already are covered - you can be creative and make anything work ! And like I said, for showing skin, you can modify the costume, that's something people do all the time because they're not comfortable.
This. I live in an Islamic country and I've seen a few people cosplaying with hijab replacing the wigs. Of course the hijab's colour matches with the wig.

They look absolutely stunning!
If you're wondering about the characters, they're Hatsune Miku and Chii from Chobits.
Also a lolita co-ord~
MitsukaiEievui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
kuro-nee
Instant noodles eater

As a Muslim (but not wearing a hijab) I can point out that basic parts that can be shown would be the face and palms. There are several characters (but not a lot since most anime characters have loads of leg showing).

Skin colour is not that much of an issue. Tell them to F-off if they do. The hijab, if your friend is ok, use colour coordinated ones. Here some of my friends use wigs not of their original hair colour. Technically she is already covering her hair.

Clothes can be made to be looser towards her liking. If the character is wearing a short skirt, she may try wearing a "Winter" version with a coat and long socks. At the same time, she needs to be comfortable with what she wears.

As for the characters, some over the top of my head:
1) Pang Tong from Dynasty Warriors (Male char)
2) Carmen Sandeigo from Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego (Female)
Can't think of anymore thanks!

Feel free to PM me if you and your friend have any other questions!
kuro-nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

There was a Japanese webcomic that was much like Hetalia called Afghanis-tan. I haven't read that much of it but the main character is a Muslim woman.

Edit: I just thought of gijinka. With that you can design it however you want.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)

Last edited by Shana05 : 04-30-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Boreotheria
n00b

Oh dear. Afghanis-tan.

It's... really adorable. Maybe too adorable. It's basically like Hetalia but the characters are all little girl personifications of Middle Eastern countries (and America). The heroine is Afuganisu-tan, a rather shy and picked-on girl who wears a pink hijab-and-abaya type ensemble with ... a bandaid-shaped barrette? Or just a perpetual cartoon head wound? She has big green eyes which were allegedly inspired by Sharbat Gula.

The comic has been criticized for depicting serious international incidents as cutesy playground scuffles. I have no idea if someone culturally closer to the countries depicted would find it offensive. Hetalia has the same problems, of course, made worse by the fact that people who don't have any sensitivity or knowledge of the real history cosplay the characters and run around saluting like Nazis. Erm.*

So it's an idea that could be done really well, but nobody would blame your friend if she felt like it would be too obvious or too ethnically confining, or if she just ran screaming in the other direction. Afghanis-tan is available on Mangafox and is a short read.

*If the shoe fits, wear it. If you have the knowledge and the sensitivity, I'm not talking about you.

Last edited by Boreotheria : 04-30-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
Dalibar
Obey Your Master

Maybe you could modify Lamiroir or Iris from Phoenix Wright, Ema from Garnet Cradle, Mammon from Reborn, One of the tree sisters from 07 Ghost, Eresh from Suikoden, Zelda from The Legend of Zelda.
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Dragon Ball has several:

King Chappa (fav)
Pomput
Nam
Killa
Upa and Bora
Pintar
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #26
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

The God Tier outfits in the webcomic Homestuck also all have hoods + the characters are aracial.

With some you may have to lenthen the sleeves though.
So as far as human females go, there are Rose Lalonde, Jade Harley, Jane Crocker and Roxy Lalonde.
In progress:
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Rin Matsuoka - 75%|
| Yuu Kashima - 70%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #27
Kelley
Devil of Details

A modified "true form" Midna could be cool - the character is supposed to be based on middle/eastern design in contrast to the archetypal "Western" princess, Zelda.

It could be made to be a dress with the designs on it instead of a top and slit skirt. The hood could be there with a red/orange head-scarf under it.

That's one example of how to turn a costume that looks skimpy into something covered while keeping the character recognisable. Midna wouldn't lose a lot if the blue parts became a looser blue fabric (you could even do a blue fabric in the skirt instead of all black - to create the same color variation as the split) - you'd still have the patterns and the over-all idea.

I feel like you could even take one of the queens of skimpy costumes - Yoko from Gurren Lagann and make it fully covered and still recognisable. You could turn her shorts into pants and do pink from the thigh or knee down - still just as pants and have the fire-y boots sticking out of them. The bikini top could turn into a black turtle neck with some fire coming up from the bottom to mid-chest or something. Red head-covering with the little pin she wears. I'm pretty sure that anyone who can recognise Yoko would be able to recognise that.

I think that would be really cool and creative. I think that for almost any character you could do that. Being recognised is never about being totally accurate - it's about carrying over enough important iconic elements to get the message across. That's why it's no big deal when people lengthen a skirt and why gender-bent costumes can still be recognised if you do them right.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #28
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro-nee View Post
As a Muslim (but not wearing a hijab) I can point out that basic parts that can be shown would be the face and palms. There are several characters (but not a lot since most anime characters have loads of leg showing).

Skin colour is not that much of an issue. Tell them to F-off if they do. The hijab, if your friend is ok, use colour coordinated ones. Here some of my friends use wigs not of their original hair colour. Technically she is already covering her hair.

Clothes can be made to be looser towards her liking. If the character is wearing a short skirt, she may try wearing a "Winter" version with a coat and long socks. At the same time, she needs to be comfortable with what she wears.

As for the characters, some over the top of my head:
1) Pang Tong from Dynasty Warriors (Male char)
2) Carmen Sandeigo from Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego (Female)
Can't think of anymore thanks!

Feel free to PM me if you and your friend have any other questions!

What about dance tights in your skin tone? Are those acceptable? A lot of cosplayers use them these days when they're uncomfortable with showing their actual skin or legs or to adhere to convention rules. You could also probably make a skin matching bodysuit.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #29
bubbleteaXD

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE EVERYONE! ITS VERY HELPFUL ^u^
bubbleteaXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
emmisu
King of Toast

There's also Helba Mistral and Aura from various .HACK games

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote