Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
jasiones

Dressing up as alexstraza as a guy?

I was joking around with some people about dressing up as alexstraza the life binder for blizzcon in November. I has a lot of people encouraging me, which piqued my interest. This will be my first time cosplaying and I'm seriously thinking of doing this. Because of the revealing nature of the costume I can either stay true to its form and put a comedic spin on it. Or I can take a similar style but change it up to be more suitable for a guy. Thoughts? Opinions?

http://imgur.com/9Fza6h9
jasiones is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

My own personal preference would be to do the male version. These are dragons after all, and can probably take their pick from a variety of appearances!

If you want to keep it female and don't go comedic, you could always make other minor changes. For example, adding a color-and-style-matched corset below the brassiere, and leggings under the thigh armor would expose less skin, thereby requiring less shaving. Bonus: the costume would be less chilly!

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Reilala

I'd say just do it how it looks and wear a skin color body suit that matches her skin color-looks a touch red in the picture but might just be the lighting. The body suit should let you hide the padding and the breast forms or whatever you end up using. Really depends how good you are with the padding and making the armor. I have seen some really fantastic stuff done with padding when people get to use a body suit to hide it.
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'd consider your budget, skills, and expectations.

Made well, that's a pretty expensive costume that requires a lot of skill to make - and if you want to pull off looking like a girl that's even more skill and cost.

If you're okay with a lower-quality costume then there are compromises you can make. It depends on what you want to do and what level of quality you're happy with.

Personally, I would suggest not doing an armor costume for your first costume unless you're already skilled in pattern-making from another hobby. It's usually a good idea to learn basic technical skills before trying to jump right into complicated pattern-making. It would be like trying to learn to drive by throwing you in a manual transmission and saying you need to drive up a hill with multiple stop signs. You would hate driving and life in general and probably give up because screw that.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Personally, I would suggest not doing an armor costume for your first costume unless you're already skilled in pattern-making from another hobby. It's usually a good idea to learn basic technical skills before trying to jump right into complicated pattern-making.
This is pretty good advice! Armor is very difficult if you're hoping to make it look good. You could always commission it from an experienced cosplay armorer - no shame in that as long as you don't claim it's your own work - but that's liable to run many hundreds of dollars.

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
jasiones

hmmm...I'm a perfectionist when I create something..but being a first time cosplayer I'm not too sure if I will have the knowledge. I have time, as the Con isnt till november so there's definitely time for some trial and error. I'll browse around the forums and youtube for tutorials and suggestions. start off with small stuff. worse comes to worse I'll just get a T shirt that says my guild name
jasiones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Kelley
Devil of Details

There are plenty of full costumes from WoW that would be decently easy and still recognisable, too.

If you want to give armor a shot using cardboard or even construction paper to work out the patterns will be an inexpensive way to do trial-and-error. Craft foam is also inexpensive as a final material - Wonderflex or Worbla are like $80 per big sheet (I'd guess you'd end up needing 4-6 sheets for that, but you'd use your cardboard pieces to see how much you need more accurately).

You could also use leather - but that will bring a different set of challenges and you'll still have to have the painting skill at the end of it all. The final paint makes a huge difference - I've seen armor re-painted and it's impressive how a piece can go from looking bad to good with just that.

I would start by deciding how much money you want to sink into this.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Reilala

For that outfit, craft foam reinforced with with glue would probably do the trick as the graphics are cartoony. I would be more concerned with getting the shape/body figure and makeup right. Just start early if you decide to do it. Should be doable by November even if it's your first time. There really isn't much complexity to the armor save for getting the headpiece to connect to the wig. And there are plenty of tutorials for foam armor scattered about.
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

Yeah, pulling off "looking like a girl" will be a big challenge and unless you already have a passable figure there's really no cheap/easy way to do you. Most guys would need a corset and hip padding for that costume and something for breasts and something so you don't have crotch bulge - though you could modify the armor to just go over them. And you'd want a bodysuit to go over all that - and you have to affix the body suit to the breast "plate" if it's showing over the armor or you'll get that weird uniboob look.

If the hip/breast padding is enough you might be able to do without a corset - but you'll just have to try it and see.

I think it's good to talk cost because I find a lot of people are really overwhelmed by it their first time. I did some estimates for a friend of her material costs and we managed to get it down to about ~$250 - but that's still a shock to a lot of people who have never done a costume before.

With craft foam, it would be pretty cheap - but you'd still have to consider the cost of wig, fabric for a body-suit, any body paint/makeup, and whatever shaping things you need.

I'd kind of wonder about the armor bikini bottom. I'm not sure I'd want to trust craft foam to that - you'd probably want to reinforce it with something like vinyl - or just make it out of something like vinyl, paint to match, and make details in craft foam.

Doable by November if you have the time, yes. I know that I personally work ridiculously slow so I know I'm pushing it asking myself to make two costumes by September. I'd guess someone who isn't such a sloth would have an easier time with that aspect. :P

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I would love to try a female version of Nozdormu.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote