Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

Amy from Soul Calibur IV?

Her jacket/blouse is killing me..

I mean it's crazy to me.

All of the circled areas are stumping me. I don't know what to do about the corset-like loops the cording goes through. I also have not the slightest idea how to do the splitting without making it completely uneven and sloppy. The faux fur as well, i've never dealt with fur.. Where do you even buy faux fur and how do I apply it to the costume?
Thanks a bunch!

I'm also doing a Temari cosplay and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to use as a henge to make it fold open and shut? Thank you~

Facebook

Last edited by Lidaea : 04-30-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Lidaea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

The "loops" are basically just cording laced up like a shoe, through grommets (or "eyelets"). You can buy grommets, and grommet setting kits at most sewing stores.

The kits look like this typically, with different sized grommets
http://content.vcommerce.com/product...pg?-1082938144

For fur I like distinctivefabric.com as the quality is really nice. They also have an etsy where they sell partial yards.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

1) Yes, the "corset-like loops" are just eyelets. They don't appear to be structural, just decorative.

2) There's no reason to think the division will be sloppy and uneven! There are two pieces of the garment that are sewn together here. The front-most is the red rose-decor strip with the narrow grey edges; the second piece is closer to the arm, and straight up grey. Sew the two together for the length of the corset, just past the waist. Below that, the two pieces will remain separate. The eyelets and the stiff structure of this garment indicate that it will have to be both interfaced and lined, and that will take care of the raw edges.

3) Faux fur is a fabric just like any other, it just has a nap (that is, fibers that stick out perpendicular to the weave of the fabric, and will lie smoothly in one direction). You have to be slightly more careful in cutting it, but it sews much like any other material. Put right sides together or tuck raw edges under and sew, by machine or by hand.

4) I'm not quite sure what you are asking for the last question re: Temari...?

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

Thank you both!

Syagria:
1) Okay, so then the eyelets can really wait until the end if I really wanted them?

2) Oh wow, you're right, I didn't even notice that there were two separate pieces to the splitting, I just thought it was all one piece! Thank you, that makes much more sense! (:

3) Alright then, that sounds simple enough. For some reason I imagined the fur coming in a cylinder-like shape.

4) As a reference

Obviously I can't just use a normal screw as it wouldn't hold on both sides.. What i'm saying is, I don't know what to use as a double-ended screw-thing that holds the pieces of wood together so that the fan can open and close. (this whole explanation I gave about the fan seems a bit thrown together because I truly know nothing about crafting, i'm completely new.)

Facebook

Last edited by Lidaea : 05-01-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Lidaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Ojy

A tip for sewing furs: Before you cut your fur, comb a part in it where you intend to cut. This way you will end up with the least odd length hairs. Then, brush downward along where you will be sewing, sew the piece to whatever you are sewing it to, and then go along with a pin or something and pluck the sewn down hairs out of the seam. This will keep it from having the odd look where part of the hair is pinned down, and will work to blend the seams.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Yeah, eyelets tend to be one of the latter steps of constructing a garment. Eyelets/grommets have to pass through all layers of the garment (outer shell, interfacing, liner, sometimes seam allowance, too), which means that they have to be put in after the construction of any interior seams - once a grommet, eyelet, or buttonhole is put in, there's no way to turn the garment fully inside out again!

For the Temari fan, it depends on what type of screw you get. I think the type of screw you have in mind is one that has a flat head and comes to a point. This is a wood screw, and yeah, it won't work here. What you need is a machine screw. Machine screws don't come to a point; their ends are flat, and are finished by adding some type of nut to the end. You will need to drill holes through the slats of the fan. The holes must be slightly bigger than the size of the screw, since if they are too close in size, you won't be able to open and close the fan (with a wood screw, the threads of the screw grabbing the wood would prevent you from opening and closing the fan).

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote