Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
sillymyway

Conventions, Cosplay, Hotels, and Transportation

So travelling to conventions is always a fun time. Long car rides, roommates, sometimes even the occasional airplane trip.
How do you guys manage hotels, transportation, cosplays and conventions? What are some room rules you guys have? And how far is too far to walk from a convention to the hotel? How do you arrange rest time from walking-around-the-convention-in-your-craft-foam-armor-cosplay time? Any crazy plane stories?

Rules that I like to have around in the hotel room are no drugs, coitus, or any tom foolery towards other's possessions. I always got permission if I had to move someone's stuff to get to mine, because for all I know there could be some ultra fragile prop in his/her bag.
AnimeNEXT
TooManyGames
New York Comic Convention

.:2014 Cosplays:.
Ricken (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
gijinka! Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Nagisa Hazuki (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Ravio ( LOZ: A Link Between Worlds)
Charlie Vergier (Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure)

sillymyway cosplay
sillymyway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

I use spreadsheets in Excel to keep track of everything, and I do a TON of research. I ask people on the forums, I look at Google maps, I look at Yelp, I make envelopes for all the money for the con, I do a lot of research!

Fortunately, the only time I had a hotel room for a con was with my Bf, and it was a two person hotel room so no worries about sharing.

Animegacon 2014
Otakon Vegas 2015

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

My group is pretty small (currently 3 people, with a friend who occasionally stays with us). We're all very close (in my case, one is my brother), so sharing a room is a breeze. Bro books the hotels (AAA member yes), and we all keep it tidy (as much as can be expected).

Generally we prefer being in the hotel of the event (if the event is held in one), or within a block or two. We prefer to spend a little more on a hotel if we deem the location worth it. (Once tried to save money by staying at a motel 8 blocks away...never again.) This gives a lot of freedom to pop back to the room to rest, refresh, eat, etc. If there are several hotel options, online reviews can be incredibly helpful. If we have excellent experiences in a hotel, we become rather loyal in the following years.

As for room rules, they're all unspoken and they basically boil down to not being a douchecanoe. I'm the only one who drinks alcohol, so I bring my own and I am responsible with it (I get so peeved watching drunks stumbling around cons). We don't stay up terribly late (old), and we don't like strangers in the room. We all help make each others' costumes, so we don't have to worry about them getting damaged by mishandling.

Lastly, transportation depends on what we're bringing. We have a few costumes with enormous props, so we sit down to plan what we're bringing and how we'll get it there. Often it means bringing two cars. I prefer one, partly because of parking costs, but also because it's fun to chat about the con on the way there. :3

As mentioned before, spreadsheets are amazing to keep track of hotel and cosplay plans.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Discuss things before the con.

Our cardinal rule is the person who booked the room is god. If s/he tells you not to do something, don't fucking do it. You take that person seriously. They were nice enough to put down their credit card for the reservation, which means they will be held responsible for what happens in the room.

In my group, we have little "jobs" for the con. Everyone has their own responsibility, like one person books the room, one person buys alcohol on a single run, two people fill up containers with ice for the alcohol, etc. And we work on a buddy system, because some people just should not be trusted with a key card. (I have a friend who sucks at answering her phone at the best of times. She never picks up at a convention, or she lets the battery die. Nothing is worse than needing to go back to the hotel room, and not being able to contact the person with the key. We now make only the most compulsive phone checkers be key holders)

I also like staying about a block or two from the con at most. I'm not a huge fan of staying within the same hotel if it's in a hotel. I like being able to pop back to the room whenever I want without wasting too much time, but I also like being a bit removed from the center of the chaos.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 04-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post

Our cardinal rule is the person who booked the room is god. If s/he tells you not to do something, don't fucking do it. You take that person seriously. They were nice enough to put down their credit card for the reservation, which means they will be held responsible for what happens in the room.

In my group, we have little "jobs" for the con. Everyone has their own responsibility, like one person books the room, one person buys alcohol on a single run, two people fill up containers with ice for the alcohol, etc. And we work on a buddy system, because some people just should not be trusted with a key card. (I have a friend who sucks at answering her phone at the best of times. She never picks up at a convention, or she lets the battery die. Nothing is worse than needing to go back to the hotel room, and not being able to contact the person with the key. We now make only the most compulsive phone checkers be key holders)
THIS. WORD FOR WORD.

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Ohayocon 2015

Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Goddess Purple Heart (Hyperdimention Neptunia)- 70%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 90%
Poison Ivy (Batman)- 0%
Ashe the Frost Archer (League of Legends)- 90%

Last edited by Michi : 05-05-2013 at 02:32 AM. Reason: fixing broken quote tag
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
kittymutt
Belgium Waffles

How do you guys manage hotels, transportation, cosplays and conventions?
-For traveling, since I am able to drive and have my own car, there isn't trouble that way. For knowing where to go and such, I usually print out directions to and from the hotel/conventions just in case my GPS on my phone fails. I also print out my badge and hotel receipt. I tend to keep these all in a folder together.

When transporting cosplays, I prefer a garment bag over a suitcase. There's less chance it'll get wrinkly that way, and since most hotel rooms have closets, I can easily hang it up right when I come in. It also helps keep the room less cluttered. For more larger cosplays and props, I'm not sure, as I haven't had any sort of cosplay like that.

What are some room rules you guys have?
-Most of it is common sense stuff. Behave, pick up after yourself, don't make a mess, and be kind and courteous to hotel staff. Since I also tend to have minors in my room, no drinking is allowed in my room.

And how far is too far to walk from a convention to the hotel?
-If it's across a highway, then no walking. I don't want anyone to get hit by a car.

How do you arrange rest time from walking-around-the-convention-in-your-craft-foam-armor-cosplay time? Any crazy plane stories?
-When I want to rest, I usually head to my hotel room. I also find going somewhere to eat or outside but still near the con also helps. Basically, get away from the most dense part of the convention.

As for plane rides, I'm afraid I've only attended local conventions currently.
kittymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
belligerent
Viking Metal

My typical room rules:

1. Don't touch me while I'm sleeping or I'll break your face with a duvet cover in the fanciest way possible.
2. If you are under 21, if I catch you even thinking about making eyes at my booze, I will hit you over the head with a harpsichord until I have baroquen your ass.
3. Do not tell me you suddenly cannot pay me for the room. I have run people over with tricycles for much less; do not try me. Do not be the person I run over with a tandem tricycle.
4. Do not bring people back to the room unless they are people we all know or all the people in the room are cool with it.
a. if you bring people back to the room, you are not having an impromptu room party.
b. you are also not bringing people back to the room to have sex or I will dropkick you and your intended partner(s) into a lake of burning skittles.
5. If you are the kind of person who barfs everywhere when you are really drunk, do not be in the room really drunk. If you ruin something, you are paying for the damages with your soul. My cat only gets away with it because he's cute and you are not that cute, honey.
6. Be respectful of others.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Wow, looking at this thread, people are more organized for a weekend con then I was for several months of travel.

There is some good advice here, one I would add, is know how you are getting to and from the airport in advance (if you are flying of course, I say this as having worked in the industry you wouldn't believe how many people get to an airport only to realize they have no way to get where they want to be), also know how the public transport works wherever your going (unless you are going to simply taxi it).

Last edited by Suntory_Times : 04-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
sillymyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa Gohan View Post
I use spreadsheets in Excel to keep track of everything, and I do a TON of research.
I never thought of using an excel spread sheet! That must be incredibly helpful.
AnimeNEXT
TooManyGames

sillymyway cosplay
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post

I also like staying about a block or two from the con at most. I'm not a huge fan of staying within the same hotel if it's in a hotel. I like being able to pop back to the room whenever I want without wasting too much time, but I also like being a bit removed from the center of the chaos.
OH MY GOD YES. THIS. THIS SO MUCH.

The person who plans everything, put thier credit card ON THE LINE for EVERYTHING needs to be treated EXTREMELY WELL. it is unbelievably stressful to be the one in charge of all of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
My typical room rules:

1. Don't touch me while I'm sleeping or I'll break your face with a duvet cover in the fanciest way possible.
You win the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymyway View Post
I never thought of using an excel spread sheet! That must be incredibly helpful.
I would be willing to share my spreadsheets with you. I have a good one for Anime Expo planning that might work for you. I'm still fixing it up to be even better now.

I'm a whiz when it comes to spreadsheets, my job is all spreadsheets.

Animegacon 2014
Otakon Vegas 2015

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Last edited by Michi : 05-05-2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: merging a triple post
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
why_00
Emileigh

Being older really helps with all of this. I attended conventions in my teens and it was extremely hectic when trying to plan any of this. not only were there restrictions on being able to get a hotel room, or even stay in one. transport also heavily depended on who was nice enough to give me a ride.

Now, I just book my own room and drive myself there. If my boyfriend wants to come we usually split the costs of everything down the middle. However I always plan to have enough money to cover all the expenses on my own, shit happens and I don't trust people enough with financial matters to hope that they were as responsible with their money as I am. Plus when they come through I usually have a ton of money after the con to spend on new cosplays.

For transportation I usually just take my own car. That might change if I decide to bring a large prop or something as my boyfriend has a larger vehicle. But my little car gets better gas mileage if we want to do any running around during the convention.

I like to take a look at the convention schedule and plan my time according to that. I imagine that something like a spreadsheet would be helpful, but i never have the patience to do something like that. Basically my boyfriend and I just mark all the things we want to go do and see, we plan when we want to eat each day, and then I then see what times I have to get in and out of a costume from there.

I've never gone to a convention with any other actual cosplayer since all my close friends aren't into that, but if I did I imagine I would want to set a lot more ground rules for the room. With just my boyfriend and I it's usually really relaxed. He knows what I like or dislike and has seen me work on my costumes enough to know what things he can touch or not.
Tumblr

Upcoming cosplays:
- Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Finished!
- Raven - Teen Titans - Finished!
- Dragon Kid - Tiger & Bunny - In progress - to be finished sometime next year
- Crysta - Ferngully - To be decided
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
GirlFromTexas
Rori Z

Hrm... smallest con group I've been with is 3, largest was 15. How I typically do this is as follows, note all the planning is done on Google Docs AND we get to cons on Thursdays usually because some of us do artist alleys:

Step 1: I ask my friends who's willing to split payment for the room. At the same time I ask my mother if she knows the owners of any hotels within 2 blocks of the con.

Step 2: Usually my mother does know someone who owns a hotel or a condo or a vacation house near the con. She's been in the rental business for almost two decades, and she's well known for managing fancy resorts. If she does know someone, she's got us some rooms on for discount, so we have a nice package to split up.

Step 3: About four weeks to the con, we all decide who's bring what. Each person is in charge of a snack item, and we figure out who's driving what and whom. We also do a final call for any last minute roommates. The people who join last minute are typically our "con wenches" and get saddled with the more expensive snack, bottle soda/water or the more uncomfortable seating position. Everyone also shows the cash they have ready for the room and we put it all in an envelope that I keep.

Step 4: We meet the night before we head out and load up the cars. Then we all stay over at someone's house together and make sure out costumes are all set and what not. Then in the morning we load the costumes and make sure the wigs and props are placed in a way that they don't get messed up.

Step 5: After we set out, we have meet up points. Basically, we have 3 meet up points along the road. You need to stop at these points no matter how far ahead you area, and we all have to wait for everyone to get there before moving on. This is to make sure we all stay together and get there at the same time since everyone's stuff in spread out through all the cars. We ALWAYS have a meet up point outside of any bigger cities we have cons in. If we don't have enough people who have gone through the city and the traffic before, we make sure to avoid highways at all cost, even if it costs us half an hour. We tend to leave really early in the morning, so it doesn't matter much. Because, after all, who sleeps the night before a con right?

Step 6: We park the cars at the hotel and do a speed unload. After everything's in the room, we go through the rules and make sure everything is in the spot we decided on. We typically have enough people to get a group discount. So on Friday we make sure we all go together to get our passes then go back to the hotel and prepare our costumes and stuff.

Rules while we're at the con:

1. I'm typically the Den Mother like figure, so the rule is listen to me. I'm also the loudest so I tend to have an easier time getting everyone's attention. (Thank you JROTC)

2. Most times we have suites since there are so many of us. In those cases we have a designated pass out room, where people can sleep whenever they want, and then we have an awake room. I make sure that the people who want to sleep have ear muffs or plugs or something so we don't have to be deathly quiet.

3. The rule is no alcohol in the hotel room. Sometimes we have our younger cousins with us, and I myself am not of drinking age, nor do I even drink. Another rule relating to this is no open drink containers at all. I make everyone get bottled drinks or bring plastic bottles to put their drinks in. Why? Because we have a few professional cosplayers who come with us and I've had the misfortune of someone spilling soda on a costume. I also basically say "No food outside of THIS area", which is typically the kitchen and table like area next to it. Everyone knows to keep their costumes out of there, and everyone is typically cool with it.

4. Keep it all packed. For the most part, we make it a rule of thumb to NEVER completely unpack. If you get undressed, put your stuff back in the suitcase. If you change costumes, hang the costume up in the closet where we put it. We do this to keep things neat and make it easier to clean on Sunday.

5. We have a designated charging area. I bring a couple of outlet islands, and we have a corner of the room set for charging cameras, phones and laptops. This is to keep the floor clear of tripping hazards and to keep all the electronics on one area so everything's safe from being dropped.

6. The door is to be locked at all times. I'm not going to lie, cons can attract creeps sometimes. I've had friends have people come into their hotel rooms while changing or relaxing. Sometimes it's an accident, sometimes it's a pervert trying to get a peek. Other times it's a thief looking for an easy grab. Either way, security is my number one concern. If we're in a questionable hotel or we get a warning that someone's doing something stupid at the hotel, I'll set up a livesteam of our room to a private event so I can keep a recording in case anything happens. I'll make sure everyone knows what's going on as well.

7. We have one meet up time every day, usually in the morning. And if needed in the afternoon before the big events of the evening kick off.

8. Buddy up! We actually make sure our buddies are set up to a month before the con. One buddy always has the hotel key. Like with other posters here we make sure that person is anal about their phone. We also make sure they actually have pockets in their costume.

So that's kind of a run down of our rules. I know they seem really confusing and detailed, but it works for the most part since a lot of us are cosplayers or artists so we all know how badly things can go wrong in hotel rooms.
GirlFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

I started going to cons in college. I already had groups of friends that loved cons so we just stuck together. Even now, out of college, I can still count on specific parts of my old friends to join in. Being the most organized I usually hound everyone right before the end of the year. So around December I start preparing for the following years cons.

We decide who is getting hotel, rides, who is coming. Usually it's left to me to book the hotel because I am always alert for it. Rides are left to another person. I always go for a hotel near the con, less than a block or two away for convenience. This means I book the hotel within minutes of hotels going up. The good thing about having the same batch of friends come to cons with you every year is that you develop a system. You already know who is getting the beds and who is sleeping on the ground.

The only plans I make for during cons are gatherings. Honestly, I really am not a panel person. So I plan out my gatherings for the years cosplays and maybe my one annual panel I go to every year. I tend to cosplay for a majority of the day. I wake up early around 6am, mostly because I am on an adrenaline rush from being overly excited, I take out my cosplay things and usually iron all the cloth pieces and brush my wig. Around 7am I start getting dressed for the day and around 8am I am off to scavenge for breakfast.

All costs for hotel are split evenly, usually I cover all of the deposit and if anyone breaks anything they are paying for it out of their pocket. We usually go out to eat when we're hungry so nothing is shared other than the room.

Another great thing about going with people you know already is you already have established unspoken rules for the room. The only real rule we tend to change every year is who holds the room keys and to always have your phone on sound in case someone needs it. We assign people to keys and everyone else who borrows it must return it or stay in the room for the night.
Korra New Blue Outfit..Progress 100%
Secret Cosplay 2........Progress 0%
Korra Green Outfit.......Progress 0%

Conventions for 2015:
NorCal Winter (unofficial), Sac Anime Winter, AOD, Fanime

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
sillymyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_00 View Post
Being older really helps with all of this. I attended conventions in my teens and it was extremely hectic when trying to plan any of this. not only were there restrictions on being able to get a hotel room, or even stay in one. transport also heavily depended on who was nice enough to give me a ride.
Man do I know this well. I'm the youngest of the group so natural I have to be dependent on older ones in the group. They still make it enjoyable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa Gohan View Post
I would be willing to share my spreadsheets with you. I have a good one for Anime Expo planning that might work for you. I'm still fixing it up to be even better now.

I'm a whiz when it comes to spreadsheets, my job is all spreadsheets.
Oh yes, please! I don't go to Anime Expo, but I do go to Otakon, which is kinda close I guess? A spreed sheet is just what I need to help remember everything. xD
AnimeNEXT
TooManyGames

sillymyway cosplay
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymyway View Post
Oh yes, please! I don't go to Anime Expo, but I do go to Otakon, which is kinda close I guess? A spreed sheet is just what I need to help remember everything. xD
Sure! e-mail AVCosplaychess@gmail.com and I'll email them to you and explain it. I think switching it to otakon will not be a big issue because they are both huge cons. Which version of Excel do you have?

I'm on the west coast so Anime Expo is the big con for me. However, Otakon is having a small on in Vegas, which I am going to attend. Can't wait!

Animegacon 2014
Otakon Vegas 2015

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie