Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
TwistedFayt

VERY Poofy/Large Hoop Skirt?

Hi!

I'm going to be dressed as my tactician character in the Bride class dress for Fanime 2013 this year but I've stumbled upon a problem. So far, I've only been able to find petticoats and hoop skirts that give a poof about this big at most:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...id-d51tivn.jpg

but my cosplay looks like this:

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Bride?file=Bride.jpg

So my question is,

Is it possible to make a hoop skirt/petticoat this large or, if anyone has seen one pre-made somewhere, could they recommend me to it? Worst comes to worse, I'll have to either make it myself or have it commissioned but I'd prefer to buy one pre-made.

EDIT

Oh and also, would it be possible to layer two or more hoop skirts/petticoats to get that size? o.O
TwistedFayt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

A hoop skirt won't layer, but you can put petticoats over it. However, the problem with a lot of pre-made hoop skirts is that they are not very strong and will collapse under too much weight - someone in another thread unfortunately ran into this with only one layer of only a moderately heavy fabric !

I would make it myself or commission it. It looks like kind of a weird shape - there's a lot of volume on the hips and still in the butt area. The screen-shot of the actual game looks like it's flatter ?

I'd probably go with an elliptical crinoline with extra ruffles or pads on the hips or more of a pannier system (like this or this depending on how I wanted the game art to come alive.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
twiterpert
Fiend or Foe?

On thing to consider is that you are wearing this to a con, not a photoshoot. While you may prefer to have a super-massive hoop for aesthetic reasons, keep in mind that there will be people all around you. A larger hoop is easy to bump into, even if you are considerate of how large it is. The biggest thing is people stepping on the hem - I know I don't watch my feet when I walk, so even if I see there's a massive costume in front of me, I might not realize the hem extends some four feet behind. I doubt you want footprints and torn seams all over.

Have you worn a hoop before? Most bridal stores will carry large, sturdy ones. Visit a store to confirm they carry some then see if you can try them on. It'll help you get a feel for the size you can handle. As mentioned, petticoats can be layered to give a hoop more fluff, but cheap hoops (like those from lightinthebox and such) will buckle under too much weight. Bridal store hoops tend to be much sturdier, but can run over $100.
twiterpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

If it makes you feel better, you can get a roll of strong hoop steel for $20 - just make sure it's this kind (the "hoop wire" with the two things of steel).

Although that stuff is really tough - you're going to need bolt cutters to cut it unless you want to hate yourself (I tried using just aviation shears and it required basically stomping on them to get it to cut).

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote