Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
AikenSwirl
The Kraken's Wolf

Acceptable or Not: Cosplaying Original Characters?

I'm a very avid fan of my friend's webcomic called Joules! She has this thing going for a long time and I know it's totally okay for me to cosplay it!

But, at the same instance, I'm making my own novel that I've been working on for several years (around four). It's got a variety of characters, including humans and aliens.

I was recently contacted on my Tumblr asking if I was playing on cosplaying two of them.

Avogadro Tian:

And Pitch Darkness:

And I've heard lots of bad things about cosplaying original characters. I'm just curious if it's a bad idea and what you think of that.

I just really love some of my characters and their entire story and i just um.

I dunno.

Opinions?
AikenSwirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Well you are on a form that encourages it. If do it well, no one should have problem with it.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 15% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

You won't be recognized and you won't have the easy "in" with people that a shared fandom provides. And if you let people know that you're cosplaying your OC right off the bat, you'll be faced with a cooler welcome because a lot of them will be waiting for you to start telling them how cool your character is and how they're the best person ever and so tortured and nobody understands them et cetera et cetera.

It's fine to do, it's absolutely fine, but those are the downsides. If you're cosplaying for the sake of meeting people and making new friends, it's going to adversely affect those things. If you're doing it for the sake of the character and the pleasure of making the costume, however, that's no problem at all.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenSwirl View Post
And I've heard lots of bad things about cosplaying original characters. I'm just curious if it's a bad idea and what you think of that.

I just really love some of my characters and their entire story and i just um.

I dunno.

Opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
You won't be recognized and you won't have the easy "in" with people that a shared fandom provides. And if you let people know that you're cosplaying your OC right off the bat, you'll be faced with a cooler welcome because a lot of them will be waiting for you to start telling them how cool your character is and how they're the best person ever and so tortured and nobody understands them et cetera et cetera.
First, only cosplay a characters you will like. If people can cosplay statues and the WOW avatars then you can cosplay your characters. Their are negative side to all aspects of cosplay, just realize what they are and try not to repeat them. I agree with what Mangochutney says. The same thing can happen with RPGs and MMORPGs or meeting a special guest at a con. Follow this simple rule: when talking about yourself or character, keep it to 2-3minutes tops.

Sometimes this doesn't work because the other half of the conversation will ask questions. What I like to do is ask, in my best GM voice (also good for small children and husbands), "Are you sure you want to do that?"
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Amanita

Yeah, definitely come up with a "short and sweet" explanation, that doesn't involve dumping your character's entire life story onto curious folk. If they ask for more info, that's cool.
But a short and simple explanation will go over better than the dreaded info dump.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Animemom89

When I first did my oc. I actually had a lot of people taking pictures of me. Everyone called me cute. I only had two people asked what anime I was from. And just for fun entered in a cosplay show. I actually got a lot of cheers for my costume. I say you just have to make something that will wow people. Also if the con have a page show it in advance so people already have a feel to it.
Animemom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

As long as you don't obnoxiously go on and on about your character, most people will accept it. You'll always have elitists who think OC's shouldn't be cosplayed, but they'll be assholes to everyone no matter what their cosplay is.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
Naraba Cosplay

I'm planning on doing original characters too! Some people are going to be poops about it because they're, well, poops. Cosplay is to have fun and has amazing opportunities to spread stuff like that, being your novels/web comics! The people worth listening too appreciate any effort put into a costume, and I personally appreciate seeing OCs (maybe because I'm biased!). True people might not know who you're cosplaying as but as long as your having fun and you reach even one new, potential fan it's worth it gl!
Naraba Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote