Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

Cosplaying from something you may not know that well

I wanna cosplay Claptrap fro Boarderlands. The thing is I haven't played the games, just watched a few minutes of my friend play it. Claptrap was the main thing I liked, I sat there for about an hour watching the main menu with the robot being a dork.
I would look up everything on the character, but I'm not really motivated to play the games.
Should I go through with this?
Drag Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Need dress, wig and braids
Princess Daisy - Mario: Haven't even started
Bahamut - Final Fantasy 4: I need wig, and to make the wings
The Best Costume Ever - It's a surprise: All I need is the wig!
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Suuki
Sakura Chan

I did the same with Bulma and Videl from DBZ. Even though I only say the first 7 episodes of Dragonball, part of the Sayan Saga and parts of the sayaman saga. I really liked the characters, so I did it. I may never even end up finishing DBZ.

Same with Volcaloid. I knew near nothing about the music, and I cosplayed Rin Kagamine. But now that I know more, I know I would never cosplay her again. (I just don't like the music)

Heck, I am even planning on cosplaying Saria from TLOZ: Ocarina of Time. A game I grew up with, but now can't remember much things about the game. I have replayed it, but I only got as far as the fire temple and read the manga for it. But I love the series and the character.

I say go for it. I would look up tons of information on them though, so you don't look lame in front of other fans. Know your stuff.. and you should be good to go. The cosplaying experience may even get you more into watching/playing the thing you are cosplaying from.

That is actually what happened when I cosplayed Sakura Kasugano from Street Fighter.. I had gone to the arcade a lot and feel in love with her. Cosplaying her, got me more into the series and I learned a lot more about her while doing it.. Street Fighter is now my favorite fighting series. (:
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

Thanks, what you said was really uplifting.
I guess I better get to work, I want to have the outfit done by the end of may
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'd never read homestuck and had no plans to read it, but I lost a bet to a friend and had to cosplay Equius. I did as much research to make sure I did justice to the character and looked good, etc. Apparently I did well.

I still have no interest in reading homestuck but people keep making me cosplay it now. @___@ Once you're in, you don't get out...
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Musouka_Ningyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Once you're in, you don't get out...
We're like the mafia, but with more body paint.
(You make a perfect Equius, I have to say~)

I've never personally cosplayed anything that I'm not familiar with, since I cosplay for a love of the character and/or series, but everyone cosplays for different reasons. If anyone has a problem with you cosplaying something you aren't familiar with but just liked the design of, then they have bigger issues. (sometimes people will be disappointed that they can't talk about the series with a cosplayer who isn't familiar with it, but people should hopefully not actually get -upset-, since, as I said, everyone cosplays for different reasons)

If you want to do it, then do it, for the challenge, because you like the design, you like the construction, whatever drew you to it. You might want to read up a bit on it beforehand just to get a frame of reference and to do it justice (and get ideas -- I know that I often choose materials and techniques and an overall feel of a cosplay based on the world the costume originated from, the character wearing it, how I imagine it would function within that world, etc.), but if you don't want to get into the series and just want to cosplay it because you liked the design, then go for it.

...though, I have to admit that I pretty much only wanted to play Eternal Sonata so I could have an excuse to cosplay from it, haha. I think that once I play it through, I'll like the game, so it isn't something totally out there that I don't think I'll like. I also wish that I could get into things like Vocaloid and Trinity Blood because of the designs, but I don't like to cosplay things that I don't like, so I'm not actually going to cosplay from them.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
AnimeAndMusical

Hm, sort of...

When I made my Prussia cosplay I hadn't finished watching Hetalia yet. Due to the nature of the show it's possible to watch only the episodes you are interested in while ignoring other less relevant episodes, which I sometimes did (I still haven't completely finished the series). That being said, I carefully researched a lot of background information too (history, various alternate universes, fan theories, etc) before I started the cosplay.

I also cosplayed Zwei from Pandora Hearts before the series finished (the manga is on-going). I did make sure that I had a good understanding of what was known about the character and the series in general at the time and still keep up to date with the story.

Also, like many people I haven't watched EVERY episode of Pokemon (I'm also woefully not up-to-date with the anime), but I still cosplayed Pikachu.

In other words my policy is: have as good an understanding of the series and character as you feel you need, have time for and want for the situation you will be in.

Last edited by AnimeAndMusical : 04-30-2013 at 04:39 AM.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Hera_

My first cosplay was Cinderella from Once Upon a Time. I had never seen an episode. In fact, I cosplayed it twice before I even watched!
Alice - Alice: Madness Returns (Oz Comic Con Melbourne)
C.C. - Code Geass (AVCon Adelaide)
Sansa Stark - Game of Thrones (Supanova Adelaide, Armageddon Melbourne)
Upcoming Cosplays
Jane - Daria (unknown convention)
Hera_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

I don't think it's a big deal. If you want to be able to have good pictures taken and make sense in a photoshoot you'll need to read up on the character and all that, yeah.

Personally, I need to be at least slightly emotionally invested in the character/idea of making the costume or I'm not going to want to do it. I think it comes down to how I, personally work and how others might work and what we're working with. I don't have a lot of money to work with but my costumes are pretty expensive - and to be able to say, "yeah, I'm spending $350 to be the Hero of Time" I have to at least kind of like that dude or screw that I could buy a whole lot of cheesecake and soda with that money.

If I was able to make costumes that cost $100 or less I feel like I'd be more okay with doing random ones that I don't care as much about - or when I get a "real job" and $100 becomes relatively like $500 when it comes to portion of a paycheck it might be different. I totally understand people wanting to make a costume just for the technical challenge of it, but I don't have the money to throw at that right now because there are so many characters I really, really like that I would rather be making a costume of and can't afford all of them.

Just examine yourself and your priorities. If you want to do it, can afford to do it, and there's not something you'd rather be doing, why not ?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
I'd never read homestuck and had no plans to read it, but I lost a bet to a friend and had to cosplay Equius. I did as much research to make sure I did justice to the character and looked good, etc. Apparently I did well.

I still have no interest in reading homestuck but people keep making me cosplay it now. @___@ Once you're in, you don't get out...
I know that feel all to well. I just told my friend that I will only cosplay the kids and I have complete freedom of how to act.

Investment was somethign I hadn't really thought about. Money and time are both important factors right now
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Moon_Phase

haha I plan on cosplaying some characters I don't know too well. For some, I really don't like the show they're in OR them. I just like their outfits. XD I usually try to cosplay characters I know so I can get more into them. Do what you want though.

Next Cosplays Planned (In order)

Neko (K)
Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
Moon_Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Padmik
mikky

I like to believe this is a cosplay curse. You see things and you just want to cosplay it from first sight =A=

I'm planning to cosplay Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, and I have never played the Bioshock games before. I have watched walkthroughs and read up on a lot of details tho, but I can really only afford one hobby which, for me, is cosplaying, so I do what I can.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2014 Conventions
Shatterdome ATL, AWA
2014 Cosplays
Allison Argent (3x23) - Teen Wolf 100%
Mako Mori - Pacific Rim 100%
Honekoneko (kigu) - PaSwG 90%
Levi (ACWNR) - SnK/AoT 15%
Hibari Kyoya (jumpsuit) - KHR! 5%
Rilakkuma (kigu) 80%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Personally I think it's better to have first hand knowledge of the source you're cosplaying from, if only because people will assume you're a fan and it's a bit awkward to start a conversation with somebody about it and find out they're not a fan... for me, cosplaying is mostly about showing appreciation for something you love.

But I do understand! For example, I haven't played Touhou. I'd like to but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've watched videos of it, looked at fanart and read up on the characters and decided already that I'd like to cosplay Cirno without playing the game yet. Heck, I'd even buy some merch of her despite not playing the game because she's that cute. I find that for Touhou this is actually a pretty common thing, since the games are pretty hard and niche and it has a bunch of fandom stuff behind it.
I do plan to play the game before cosplaying her though but it didn't stop me making her a plan already!

Though I usually have a good feeling with seeing characters I want to cosplay and then watching the series for them, enjoying it a lot and loving the actual character as much as their design. It happened with Madoka and Asuka, and they are also my two favourite anime characters and Madoka Magica and Evangelion are my two favourite anime. Great how things work out, right? I think I might have some special sense on spotting perfect characters.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi

Last edited by ToroSonyCat : 05-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I think its probably better to know what you're cosplaying so that if people approach you and want to fangasm a little, you can do it with them, but its not really a big deal if you don't. You can always get away with reading a wiki about them and then say "I'm sorry, I'm really behind because I've been so busy with school so I don't know that much.." or something like that.

This has happened to me a few times before (with Homestuck too, nonetheless) and currently my friend is trying to convince me to be Saber in their Fate/Zero group. I looked it up and it actually seems like a really cool series, so I may get into it yet.

Anime Expo & Otakon

★Shizuma (Strawberry Panic!) - 50% complete
★Saber EXTRA - 85% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

The only reason I can really find for needing to have an in-depth understanding of the character, game, and any references that might be made is for the benefit of your interactions with others. Sometimes people are disappointed when they see people cosplaying characters from the game and then they approach them, and the cosplayer has little knowledge of the content surrounding the character.

Knowing the character well is good for the purposes of posing and getting into character, but just knowing that single character can potentially make interactions with other people kind of awkward.

There is no official rule stating that you can only cosplay a character if you are super familiar with the series though. I have done this actually with Captain Jack Sparrow. I started getting the costume together after the 4th movie came out, I had only a very basic understanding of who Jack Sparrow was. I still cosplayed Jack Sparrow at last year's Otakon, and it was kind of awkward because people expected me to be in character and I wasn't. This wasn't the worst experience ever but it wasn't really an ideal situation either. So since then I have learned a lot about all of the movies, Jack Sparrow himself, and Jack Sparrow impersonating. So it really is all up to you how much you want to get into the game and understand what goes on around your character.
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Well giving you like the character at least playing the start of borderlands 2 is really a must. It is basically carried by Claptrap.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote