Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmik View Post
I like to believe this is a cosplay curse. You see things and you just want to cosplay it from first sight =A=

I'm planning to cosplay Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, and I have never played the Bioshock games before. I have watched walkthroughs and read up on a lot of details tho, but I can really only afford one hobby which, for me, is cosplaying, so I do what I can.
I'm the same, with the same series too. Lately I've been a tempted to cosplay a Little Sister. I own the first game but haven't gotten very far into yet (the game makes me dizzy so I can't play for long periods of time). However, I'll try to atleast finish the first game before actually doing it.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I made and cosplayed Happy (fairy tails) before actually watching the series. I was commissioned to make a stuffed toy of him and fell in love with the design (I mean, its blue cat with wings! How cute is that!).

I ended up watching the first 5 eps. and thinking the show was too kiddish; so, I stopped. I still love the character but the anime isn't for me.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
KatyCruel

I personally like to know the character at least a little bit just because I like to be able to act in character, but that's just a personal preference. Also, knowing the character a little bit better allows you to pose better because you kinda just KNOW what poses they'd do. =p (But I don't have anything against people cosplaying things they don't know. I just don't like to do it myself)

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Phase View Post
haha I plan on cosplaying some characters I don't know too well. For some, I really don't like the show they're in OR them. I just like their outfits.
This is so me. I cosplayed Euphemia because i loved her dress...xD even now I'm not to fond of Black Butler but I'm doing a Ranmao and Ciel cosplays because of their outfits. I do cosplay ppl I do know but if someone I don't know or I'm afraid to venture into their show/game I just read their bios and character descriptions. It's how I judge on H-Game cosplays and many others.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
luckikitten
Nutella Dipper

I have characters that I want to cosplay, yet as of now, I know little to nothing about many of them. Right now, I'm trying to catch up on the series and read up about the chracter online so that I have an idea of what they're about and how they act. I usually pick costumes that I think I can pull off, but in the process of making the costume, I grow curious about the character and want to know more about them. But I do understand how some see a character and simply want to cosplay them for the looks, yet not be in character.

Animazement 2014:

Friday: Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Saturday: Machi (Hunter x Hunter)
Sunday: Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony; Friendship Is Magic)
luckikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
But I do understand! For example, I haven't played Touhou. I'd like to but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've watched videos of it, looked at fanart and read up on the characters and decided already that I'd like to cosplay Cirno without playing the game yet. Heck, I'd even buy some merch of her despite not playing the game because she's that cute. I find that for Touhou this is actually a pretty common thing, since the games are pretty hard and niche and it has a bunch of fandom stuff behind it.
I do plan to play the game before cosplaying her though but it didn't stop me making her a plan already!
I'm actually a huge touhou fan and I can send you the link to get Emobdiment of the Scarlet Devil the game she's from. Even if you play the games it's hard to actaully get to the character you want to cosplay sometimes. I'm being Sakuya but I have yet to get to her because i keep dying on Patchouli.

Thanks for the tip Suntory, I bet I can rent the game from my local video store.
Drag Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Need dress, wig and braids
Bahamat - Fantasy 4: I need wig, and to make the wings
The Best Costume Ever - It's a surprise: All I need is the wig!
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
Akahime
Red Princess

Never played Final Fantasy Type-0, but I have made and cosplayed Cater, a character from that series. When my friend was asking around to see if anyone wanted to make a FFType-0 group, I checked it out because I remember about the game being made (and I do like the FF series). I looked at the characters and story and fell in love with it way before it was even finished. I may not have played the game yet, but I'm already in love with it. And when I saw Cater's designs and her wonderful weapon, I knew I would already like her. So that's how I decided to join the group and be their Cater.

I also cosplayed Chie from Persona 4 way before I even played it. I seen my brother played it a lot though and pretty much loved Chie's character. I have played the game and now just waiting to find more time to finish it. LOL

So go and cosplay whomever you want, or whatever reason you may have. Rather it is the design, personality, or because you lost a bet. Hahaha, whatever. As long when you're cosplaying them and there is respect towards the character and the series, then I see nothing wrong with cosplaying something you may know very little to nothing of.

As for the Touhou conversation, I love Touhou even though I seen mostly the arts and my brother playing the games (he has them downloaded somewhere to see what they were about and he has fell in love with the series because it's his type of games, hahaha). I'm already planning one of the Touhou bosses cosplay and even tempted to play the game where she is in (even though it's all in Japanese). I'm horrible at those kinds of game though. ; w;
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

I cosplayed Vriska from Homestuck without knowing little to anything about her character at the time! I mainly did it on a whim for two friends that were cosplaying Dave and John, but I since fell in love with the series and her character.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

For me, cosplay is mostly about representing something I love. It's about meeting other fans and getting excited about something you both really enjoy. If I'm gonna pour lots of money, time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears into a costume, I want to care about it. I've done some costumes from lesser known series, and it's a blast meeting other fans that are so stoked to see you cosplaying from it!

For some people, just liking the outfit is enough, and that's okay! I'm not gonna tell anyone else what to do when it comes to cosplay, because it's YOUR time and money you're spending. But it's still kinda sad to be like "[Character name]! Awesome! I love that show." and get the response, "Oh, I don't watch it..." However, if you're totally okay with that, then whatever! You can be like "I don't watch it, but man do I love these character designs." Right?

That all said, I've totally borrowed costumes from stuff I know nothing about for the fun of it. But again, I couldn't sit down and make something if I didn't have something invested in the series or character. If I see a design I like, I'll try out the show/game/whatever first. That's just how I like to do things myself.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #25
Inuki1

I just cosplayed a Smoker from L4D. I have never played a L4D game before in my life. Even if I wanted to, I doubt my computer could handle it (terrible graphics card and there is no space on my HD at the moment). The outfit was put together in less than 5 hours and on a budget of about $10.

I do a lot of heavy makeup/gore related cosplays and whenever I asked for suggestions and quite a few people over time suggested I cosplay a Smoker. I had looked at the L4D Character Designs, and I have actually played TF2 (but my computer can barely handle it) and Portal, so I know what the Valve games look like and play like.

I wound up finally putting together a Smoker cosplay, and so last-minute, because my friend told me the day of about a Valve-themed event. I actually went on to win the Valve-themed cosplay contest at the event.

So what did I do to prepare? With my limited time I was still able to google official reference pictures, fanart, and youtube video of the gameplay. Between official reference pictures and videos people put online, you can usually put together something pretty accurate. A lot of people put up "Gameplay" videos where they play through the entire game, so you can watch all the cut scenes and script/narrative without having to actually play yourself.

At the time I missed out on a few details, I used white contacts instead of yellow for Smoker's eyes (an easy detail to miss out) and I wasn't aware that Smoker makes coughing sounds. But let's face it, most zombies are pretty similar and it isn't too difficult to act the part. Obviously those little details weren't that important, because I still managed to win the contest- but in the future, they will be useful for a more accurate portrayal for when I cosplay Smoker again.

Do I ever plan to play L4D? I dunno. Maybe.

Another example, that's a bit different would be Rail Tracer from Baccano. My friend knows I love gorey stuff, and suggested I cosplay Rail Tracer. I was instantly into the character based on the description, and sat down and watched the whole anime (was only about 13 eps with a couple eps OVA).

When it came to cosplaying the character, I was able to take meticulous screen captures in order to get the patterning of things and other little details exactly the way I wanted. Did I have to watch the whole anime to learn those things? Nope.

But as some of the other commenters have noted here, when interacting with other cosplayers from the same series at our group photoshoot, it did become important to know lots of little things about how the characters interacted with each other.

At the very least you should understand your character's personality and how they might be likely to pose, carry themself, and common facial expressions. Conveying their personality is as important as the costume itself for photos. But none of that makes you required to watch the entire series/play the entire game. I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with cosplaying something you think looks cool without being a raving fan of the series they are from.

I know people who cosplay fanart loosely based on stuff, or just random artworks that have no anime/game/manga. If people can do that, I don't see why it'd be a problem to cosplay something without being into the original source material.
Inuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #26
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

^ your computer can't run l4d2? My pc from over a decade would be able to, the source engine is extremely easy to run.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #27
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

This also happened to me when I cosplayed as the Ninth Doctor from Doctor Who. I only watched maybe a couple of scenes at most whenever I felt like having the TV on. It was more a realization a good month or two before a con that I had a leather jacket similar to his so I went with it. It's actually because of cosplaying him that I got more into Doctor Who in the first place.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
BlooShine

Maybe four years ago I would have been against this because I've known people that do it for pure attention, but since maturing I don't care. Haha.

Personally, I feel like I need to play/watch/read whatever it is before I cosplay it. I'll make the plans and pick the character, but I won't cosplay it until I'm finished with whatever that thing is. Reading the wiki and watching videos isn't enough for me because I cosplay things I have a big interest in, unless it's casual/easy like a gijinka from something.

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #29
enik01

It isn't a big deal as long as you're having fun. Just make sure it's the correct character.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

I've done it a few times. I cosplayed Rikku from FFX-2 without playing the game. Like, at all. I just dug their costumes.
Same thing with Rydia from FF4. I played up to the part where you get Rydia in your team, but then I got lost in a cave, forgot where I was going, and stopped playing the game. I know. Lame.