Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

I was just wondering has anyone tried this program? If so what were your results? Do you have a suggestion on a certain diet to use during it?

I just bought it at Marshalls for really cheap and it seems like a decent program. I originally wanted to do something like P90X or Insanity, but both of those programs are really expensive and the workouts are too long. What I really like about this one is the workouts are only 20 min and it is only a 30 day exercise plan so I feel like I won't wuss out of doing it. ^^

I guess I should say I didn't really buy this to lose weight; I am pretty happy with the size I'm at. Nor am I out of shape, I attend yoga and dance classes reguarly. I just wanted to get a kickstart on some toning since most of my workouts are more cardio then strength.
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

I am very interested in hearing about this workout too. I also want to just tone and not lose weight. The only problem is it sounds too good to be true, which is why I haven't tried it yet. Please keep us updated if it worked for you ^_^ Good luck!

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
I am very interested in hearing about this workout too. I also want to just tone and not lose weight. The only problem is it sounds too good to be true, which is why I haven't tried it yet. Please keep us updated if it worked for you ^_^ Good luck!
'Toning' is losing bodyfat. So you would be losing weight.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

Alright, so I did follow the 30 Day Shred program for a while back in the day. It is a decent workout, little equipment required, and very low cost (you just need to buy the DVD).

Pros:
Short duration, high intensity
Three different workouts included

Cons:
Basically amounts to cardio due to low weight/high rep scheme
Following the the program as prescribed (30 days straight every day) is unbalanced and hard on the body

I did experience some results, but the practice of doing the exact same workout every day (three levels, each level for 10 days straight) doesn't give the body time to recover between workouts. Did I lose weight? Yes. But after the first 10 days or so, I changed my approach, and began cycling the three workouts so I wasn't stressing the exact same muscles every day, but it was still hard on the body, and while some discomfort is expected while starting an exercise program, not giving yourself time to recover is a recipe for injury and discouragement.

As for diet, my DVD had an insert that said there was a diet on Jillian's website for me to follow free with purchase, however, when I checked the website, I found no such thing. Instead, I used http://caloriecount.about.com to track and reduce my calorie intake.

Would I use this workout? Yes, but only mixed in with other workouts to allow my body to recover between workout. That said, I can highly reccomend Beachbody workouts (like P90X and Insanity) as they (or at least the ones I have done) are designed to incorporate all of the aspects of fitness (Cardiovascular Training, Strength Training, and Flexibility Training) as well as prescribing a diet to go with, which makes them more balanced, and although you'll get sore, you are also given time and stretching to help your body recover from it. If you don't want to work out for an hour a day, and because your goal is building strength/improving your figure, I highly reccomend the first program I tried (and still go back to from time to time as I LOVE it!) ChaLEAN Extreme - it focuses on strength training (as gaining muscle is key in "toning" the body) as well as some cardio and flexibility. It's good for weight loss, but if you're happy with your size, you can just eat maintenance calories and lift. In my first month, I lost my back cleavage, and life was immediately better. There are countless other Beachbody workouts, but that's my favourite, and the one I saw the best results on for overall weight loss and body composition. If you're interested, I still have my results pictures, which I won't post here (due to bikini + flab, especially in the befores ) but if you want to see them, hit me up via PM and I can link you

Yes, Beachbody programs are expensive, but that's because they offer so much more than a "workout DVD." One word of caution, I made the mistake of ordering my first program from e-bay because it was cheaper and came with a set of resistance bands (double score!). When I got it, it was immediately apparent that it was cheaper because it was counterfit, and did not have the proper manuals/guides/diet book. Every other time, I have swallowed the expense and bought it directly from Beachbody, which has been uniformly worth it.

Sorry for the giant post, and good luck in finding a workout program! If you go with 30 Day Shred, you may see results, but not to the same degree as you would with a proper strength training program (high weight low reps vs low weight high reps). Happy lifting!
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

So you would say it is better to not do the workout everyday or just mix and match the workouts daily? I still plan on continuing my yoga and dance classes so maybe just skipping some of the days is the best option for me?

I just did some looking in to that program you mentioned, and it does sound nice! And the price isn't as steep as say P90X is but I will still need to save for it. You said these are less then an hour? Realistically, I can only do 30 min and maybe some 45 min workouts daily because of my job and being a full time student (I will sadly take summer classes as well).

I do plan on giving 30 Day Shred a shot just because I already have it but I will definitely save and try the ChaLEAN one, it sounds like it gives better results!
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdancemagic View Post
So you would say it is better to not do the workout everyday or just mix and match the workouts daily? I still plan on continuing my yoga and dance classes so maybe just skipping some of the days is the best option for me?
Yep, that should work out well! As I mentioned, it's just using the exact same muscle groups day after day that delays recovery. If you just do it on the days you're not doing something else (alternating with yoga and dance, adding a rest day once a week) you should be golden! Probably sore, but still golden

Quote:
I just did some looking in to that program you mentioned, and it does sound nice! And the price isn't as steep as say P90X is but I will still need to save for it. You said these are less then an hour? Realistically, I can only do 30 min and maybe some 45 min workouts daily because of my job and being a full time student (I will sadly take summer classes as well).
You've got it! The way the program breaks down is there are three different "phases" which each last a month. For each phase there are three weight lifting circuits (to work on different parts of the body over the week), so your average week will look like (weekdays for reference, you can switch to whatever fits your schedule):

Monday - Weightlifting Circuit 1 (33-45 min depending on phase)
Tuesday - Rest Day
Wednesday - Weightlifting Circuit 2 (33-35 min depending on phase)
Thursday - Burn Intervals (cardio/endurance 45 min) and Ab Burner (11 min) (later replaced with Extreme Abs, 16 min)
Friday - Weightlifting Circuit 3 (38-45 min depending on phase)
Saturday - Burn it off (cardio - 26 min) and Recharge (stretching - 20 min)
Sunday - Rest Day

That's the optimal schedule, no more than 56 min in any one day, but there's no reason you can't move Ab Burner to Tuesday to make your Thursday only 45 min. Oh, and I totally understand tight schedules, I have a full time job and two part time jobs, the key is finding a spot in your day to squeeze it in and GOING FOR IT! That's what I love about home workouts, I don't need to get dressed, pack a bag, go to the gym, change, work out, shower, change, get on with my day - it's just get up, work out, shower, carry on

Quote:
I do plan on giving 30 Day Shred a shot just because I already have it but I will definitely save and try the ChaLEAN one, it sounds like it gives better results!
Enjoy! I did love working out with Jillian, she's really motivating, and makes you want to dig deep and PUSH IT!

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'm finishing up with this program on Sunday. I will have done about 25 days of it also interspersed with weight lifting 3x weekly and extra cardio. I saw such good results from other people that I figured it couldn't hurt.

I found this program super easy. I imagine it would be even easier if you were using the three-pound dumbbells they use in the video (I was using 12's and 20's for it). Some of the lunges are difficult in the sense that I have bad knees, but I'm not sure how good this program is if you're already in shape. I can't see any results from it, but others seem to do pretty well, so YMMV. 45 days of P90x also didn't do anything for me.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I really liked 30 Day Shred, but I'm doing another one of her videos now, Ripped in 30, and I like it a lot better. However, I definitely think it starts out tougher. If I hadn't just finished 30 Day Shred before I started Ripped in 30, I wouldn't be enjoying it as much.

I've gone through 30 Day Shred twice now. I have never done it 30 days in a row. I made a rule that I would never take more than 2 days off in a row, trying to never do more than 1. I'd usually go through the video 3-5 times a week. I definitely saw results anyway. I don't necessarily have a lot of body mass to lose, so I didn't see much actual weight loss versus just inches lost because I was just replacing fat with muscle. Inches lost is super important and awesome though, so I was pretty happy. I'd probably have lost more weight if I was doing more cardio on the side. Either way, I definitely see muscle definition, especially in my arms & legs, and I feel better in general.

I'm at the start of week 2 of Ripped in 30. I'm trying to be better and do more like 4-5 days a week. I like it better because it's 4 levels across 7 days each, so you're advancing quicker than 30 Day Shred's 10 days each. It also just feels more balanced, and it's newer, so it reflects her new ideas/methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
I found this program super easy.
...With 12 and 20 pound weights? And P90x did nothing for you? I don't think this program is really for you to begin with, hahaha. Man, I just feel cool when I go through it all with 5 pound weights in each hand and get through feeling good about my body.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote