Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 09-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
mirandapike

I need some help with Perona's Skirt (One Piece)

Perona is going to be my first cosplay that I will make myself but I have no idea how to make her skirt I already picked up the fabric and everything I will need but i'm not sure where to start Can anyone help me?
mirandapike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Pendoroseti
Horohoro Dourui

Timeskip Perona?
Pendoroseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
mirandapike

Ah sorry I forgot to specify haha Pre-Timeskip
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Pendoroseti
Horohoro Dourui

Do you have a sewing machine?

You should draft the pattern using junk fabric or "muslin" though if you have anything extra laying around it shouldn't be necessary to go out and get test fabric.

It helped me a lot in my current project to get a yard or two of fabric, starting from other similar clothing I have then working backwards from their patterns and eventually adjusting it to my satisfaction.

I would make sure that the fabric can be layered enough times (or just thick enough) that it can't easily be shone though by a camera flash and isn't transparent revealing colors underneath.

The edges should be hemmed if you worry about frayed edges and want it to look more professional. All that is is to roll an edge under press or pin it down to stay and sew it down whether by basic running stitch, zigzag, whether by sewing machine or a Serger. All methods can work. You may take shortcuts on this particular piece by using a steam iron and a fabric heat bonding adhesive like stitch witchery or any other iron on adhesive, just read the instructions before using it and you should be fine, basically make sure you have damp cloth layers protecting the ironing board and the iron from being ruined by the adhesive.

See these examples on this site http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2638899/, http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3206045/, http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3116858/
Credit to the respective cosplayers.

Of course I've never made a skirt myself but I'm trying to advance my techniques having moved into my third cosplay and actual first where I'm starting from scratch rather than thrifting the most important parts, I don't mind trying to help you in this stage to the best I can. Also, Perona is awesome.

Last edited by Pendoroseti : 09-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Pendoroseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
mirandapike

Thanks so much for the help! I can't wait to cosplay her ^_^