Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Casabasa412

Question Best brand of body paint

Hey. I'm new at cosplaying, even though I've been going to zombie walks and costume parties/ contests for years. Well this will be the first comic con I attend coming up this year. I just want to know what brand of body paint is smudge proof waterproof and sweat proof. I need it to be a subtle muted olive green color. Thanks ahead of time guys
Casabasa412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

Snazaroo. The price is great and it's honestly a really great quality. The thing about body paint is that it will rub off. Snazaroo on the other hand does less than other ones like Ben Nye or PAX.
When you buy body paint, PLEASE BUY A SEAL SPRAY OR DUST YOURSELF WITH BABY POWDER.
Also, the link does not directly take you to an olive color. It's not like there's every color so most people mix colors together to make their desired ones.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If it MUST NOT COME OFF AT ALL during the day, you're best going with an alcohol-activated makeup. That stuff requires being mixed with rubbing alcohol to put on, and won't come off without alcohol either. MOST of the time, a good body paint with a sealer will do the trick- alcohol-activated is quite expensive and takes ages to get off for the extreme lasting power.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Casabasa412

Thank you i would Buy the snazaroo but i need a butt load of it. I need my arms legs face and back covered.... I'm mostly worried about it rubbing off of my hands.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If you need a large area covered, a lot of people also do bodysuits/stockings in the needed colour (bought as-is or airbrushed). It saves a ton of time and won't rub off anywhere.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
detenten

I have used 2 kinds of body paint for my Twilek.

Mehron Paradise. Smells great, gentle on skin, stays on well (no need for extra sealing spray, etc.), inexpensive -- $10 will cover your whole body, plus some. It's water based so a shower will remove it, but you can also sweat it off a bit so touchups will be necessary.

Temptu Dura Pro. This is an alcohol based makeup that I sponged on. It stays on through thick and thin. I wore it for 2 days. You could probably go swimming in it. Day 2 it sweated off a bit and needed minimal touchups. Much more expensive (for full body [like, skin-baring swimsuit full body] I'd say ~8oz., which is ~$60). You also need a fifth of 90%+ alcohol to remove the stuff-- or A LOT of baby/vegetable oil and baby wipes. Overall, though, I loved the product.

Both products come in a wide variety of brilliant colors.
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
detenten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casabasa412 View Post
Thank you i would Buy the snazaroo but i need a butt load of it. I need my arms legs face and back covered.... I'm mostly worried about it rubbing off of my hands.
Having tried this... don't even bother painting the palms of your hands. It will come off. Even alcohol based paint wore off in an hour or two.
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I would still paint it and if you have an handler make them carry/pay for stuff. lol

But body stocking are a way to go depending on the costume design.

Love Temptu Dura Pro and us straight up Mineral oil you can get at the drugstore to removes it. It literally melts the stuff off.

Another one I like after trying Ben Nye Kryolan and Mehron water activated makeup is Wolfe FX.

Their Hydrocolor is also water activated but it's wax based product meaning it last on the skin longer and doesn't lift why applying it.

Also always set your body paint with a barrier spray/setting spray. Most theatrical brands make one or Skindinavia/Urban Decay.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
detenten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Love Temptu Dura Pro and us straight up Mineral oil you can get at the drugstore to removes it. It literally melts the stuff off.
Duly noted. We almost passed out using the grain alcohol to wash off, lol!!!
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

It also has the added bonus of making your skin baby soft. lol

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Casabasa412

and an added bonus is not almost passing out while removing it? hahaha ^_^ thanks for all the tips. i don't care about the palms as much as i do the top of my hands. oh, and i can make my bf handle the money, though i have to hold broomsticks anyway all day so the palms won't matter at all
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Emrys

Seconding Snazaroo. I find that it will rub off in the first 45 minutes or so, but after that it only comes off with pressure and force - I wore the turquoise blue paint with an all-white cosplay, and the only transfer was from wet drips while reapplying it a few hours later.

Also tights for your arms and legs will save you so much time applying the bodypaint. The largest size of child-sized tights are the perfect size/length for most adult arms. With the added benefit that you can paint on your zombie wounds and puss and whatever and it will be the same each time.

Edit: Found my old review of Snazaroo if you wanted more info: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=236911

Last edited by Emrys : 05-13-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added review link
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
detenten

Quote:
Originally Posted by detenten View Post

Mehron Paradise. Smells great, gentle on skin, stays on well (no need for extra sealing spray, etc.), inexpensive -- $10 will cover your whole body, plus some. It's water based so a shower will remove it, but you can also sweat it off a bit so touchups will be necessary.
I want to recant my statement about no need for sealing spray. AT LEAST layer of hairspray is pretty necessary or you'll get a light layer of dusty color pigment on things you touch. Sealing the makeup made a big difference.