Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Angrias
rawr!

Bustier, Bodysuits & Boobs

So, while the reason I'm asking is for a specific costume I think this is probably a general topic cosplayers may have a lot of experience with.

I am putting together a Black Canary costume (Justice League Unlimited) and I'm trying to find a good solution for the sweetheart neckline, strapless bodysuit / bustier thing she is wearing. The best luck I've had in searches for something to purchase is in the 'shapewear' category. Which would be nice, since I think I might benefit from some more 'animated' proportions.

But I have a strapless bodysuit and the support is not very good, plus it leaves my breasts looking... not so attractive. Any suggestions? I am even considering getting something with small straps but I'd love some ideas for support + amazing looking cleavage, patterns, retail products (preferably under $50).

Reference Pic: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs26/f/20...by_els3bas.jpg

River Song (Western Version) - Doctor Who
Arrietty - Secret World of Arrietty
Global Dynamics Scientist - Eureka
Yin - Darker Than Black
Pokemon Gijinka

2012 Convention Schedule
Phoenix Comicon :: Anime Expo :: Saboten
Angrias is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I'm pretty sure the only thing to give anyone the proper support and structure is boning. Look at bunny suits, for example. They are strapless, but they lift and support. There are a couple bunny suit tutorials on deviantArt if you want some ideas on how to make them. As for items under $50, I've got nothing, sorry!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Angrias
rawr!

Good idea, I hadn't thought of Bunny Suits. I will check it out. I've also found Simplicity 2067, which is a pretty nice pattern, I imagine it would just need slight modification to work. I just don't have a lot of experience sewing boning so I thought I'd try a commercial method first.

Thanks!

Yin - Darker Than Black
Pokemon Gijinka

2012 Convention Schedule
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

ya.... just straps wont do anything helpful, you really need the boning or a corset.
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

Yep, bunny suit as a base would be good - then you could cover it in a stretch material with minimal seams if you'd like to look less seam....y. ;P

If there's a shapewear that's strong enough to stay on on its own on you, you might be able to get away with sewing the costume to that.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Penlowe

I have handled a real bunny suit, they are heavy duty! (granted, the ones from the 60's Playboy Clubs were meant for girls to cocktail waitress in for 30-40 hours a week- real work wear not just costume). They were completely tailored with LOTS of boning and built in cup support/ padding (to give as much cleavage as possible). You couldn't fold it at all, only lay it flat. It had a heavy buckram inner facing that held all the boning, a cotton lining for comfort and a rather heavy polyester satin (like a bridal satin) outer shell.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Angrias
rawr!

@animenerd Yeah, I think you're right. After reading many reviews and some tutorials since last night most of them seem to be saying the same thing.

@Kelley Agreed, I have considered wearing shapewear under anyway, just to smooth out some of the, albeit natural, folds / curves. Also, thank you for some of your other contributions to bustier / corset threads before this. I read several yesterday and you offered some really useful ideas. I can't remember if it was one of your comments or just a reply you made to someone else who mention it - but I will definitely try contouring with make-up. I'm going to get some bronzer or a brownish color this weekend and test it out to see what will give the right illusion.

@Penlowe Holy cow. Some of the handmade bunny suits I saw on deviantart were similar, or at least match the description. Couldn't fold them, some of them even looked like they'd stand up on their own. Not sure I need -that- much support, but I don't want to be a victim of gravity.

Thank you everyone - I will let you know what I come up with. In the mean time I did find some useful links to similar costume pieces I may consider (thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested):

http://www.amazon.com/Strapless-Ling.../dp/B000A40632

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Rey-Shapewe...wear+strapless

Yin - Darker Than Black
Pokemon Gijinka

2012 Convention Schedule