Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Akune-chan
 
Posts: n/a
Attention Everyone! This Is Really Important And The Word Must Be Spread!

I am not really quite sure where to put this since it doesn't fit into any of the other categories.
It seems that there are an increasing number of vicious people out there that are targeting females of the cosplaying community.

I'll start from the beginning.

On April 27th, 2013, I was contacted on my Facebook cosplay page (Akunei's Madness) by someone by the name of "Grace E. Quinn." This person claimed to be a painter from Michigan who likes to paint realism and people and she "works" at the Queens Gallary in Ann Abor, Michigan. She told me that she wanted to paint me in cosplay and out of cosplay and that I will be paid for my participation.

Here is an actual screenshot from Facebook of the messages she sent me.

Seems harmless right?
Naturally, I was humbled and honored actually believing that there was someone out there that wanted to paint me so without thinking I messaged her back asking if she wanted to paint me out of cosplay or in cosplay.


At this point, it was too good to be true! Design clothes? For me? Really?!
Being naive, we exchanged skype ids where the conversation continued.

She discussed with me her payments and how much she was willing to pay me for being her "model."
[Screenshots from Skype]

Seems reasonable. After all, artists do need a blank canvas...

But things started to get weird.
I informed her about my hesitation and my confusion to how she could possibly paint someone without seeing the whole person at once and she told me this.


At this point it was growing evident to me that something was deadly wrong. A painter would never try so hard to get a certain person to do something for them. People would respect your decision and your unwilligness to do something. Also, I had plenty of cosplay photos that she could choose from to paint in my FB page's gallery.
Once again I reinforced my unwillingess to pose for the non-cosplay but I said was still interested in the cosplay painting.

This was the response.


What? Are you trying to bribe me with money now? What the giant...?

Again I said, no I am not interested, but thank you for your offer.

"Grace" again attempts to reassure my "fears" by telling me that everything will be alright and she actually gave me links to "her" website as well as many different photos of "her artwork."
She also sends me this.


Um..No, thank you.
At this point, I wanted nothing to do with this person since I realized that if something was too good to be true, then it was too good to be true.
After sending her a polite message that I was not the cosplayer/model that she was looking for, I blocked Grace from my Cosplay page and Skype in order to protect my privacy and safety since I had no idea who this person was and this person was obviously not "Grace E. Quinn."

To make matters worse, this person then targeted my friend, Yuukihime who found out who this person really was trying to do. According to Yuuki, it seems that our little "Grace" person was not "the painter that wanted to paint cosplayers."

News flash, "Grace" is actually male.
He has been targeting female cosplayers by offering to paint them in cosplay and out of cosplay, however, the females would have to strip their clothing in order for him to "get your body shape right."

If you do not agree to work with him,"Grace" insults you and if you agree and then ask how he will pay he will threaten to ruin you name on Model Mayhem (some modeling FB page) if you back out. (I don't know all of the details but apparently Yuuki had to take some legal charges against this person for harassment and slander.)


Well...then. I am not one to go out and slander a person's name, however I am unsure to who this person really is! When you go to the Facebook account, there are no friends listed and there aren't any profile photos or any photos added of this person other than the one that you see in the screen shots.

What I am trying to say is, if you suddenly have someone you do not know offers to paint you, please be extremely careful and weary. Us, cosplayers have to stick together and help the community stay honest and true and we need to protect one another from people that are out to get us.

I hope that this information spreads quickly so no cosplayers fall for this crap again.
(Funny, this reminds me of the Cosplay Interviews that were claiming to be linked to Coscom.]

And too the real Grace E. Quinn (if you do exist), some jackass is slandering your name and using your paintings.


Last edited by Akune-chan : 05-02-2013 at 06:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Boreotheria
n00b
 
Boreotheria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 385
Good catch, sounds like just the next iteration of the "interview" scam where they coerce a girl into stripping during a video chat and then blackmail her with the video.
__________________
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Kuro Akui Ryuu
I bleed for you...
 
Kuro Akui Ryuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 818
Yeah, Im a painter and you never push anyone to pose for you like that, and if one is really a painter you'd ask for someone to pose for you in person and if not ask permission to use one of your photos and thats it, you have to back off and respect the person whom you want to paint. Damn this guy for making it seem like us painters are a bunch of perverts.

After reading the first message I knew it was all fake and the name is really fake too, "Grace E. Quinn"? Dead give away. NEVER believe anyone is who they say they are online. If you cant really trust a person in person, what makes you think you can trust one online?

To all the girls out there, be REALLY careful and always assume the worst of the person trying to contact you for something cosplay related like that.
__________________
"The amount of pills I'm taking counteracts the booze I'm drinking
And this vanity I'm breaking, lets me live my life like this"


AX 2014 Cosplays:
Lady HUNK (Resident Evil)
Raven (Teen Titans)
Winter Soldier (Captain America 2)
The Great Fairy (Legend of Zelda)
Kuro Akui Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Akune-chan
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro Akui Ryuu View Post
Yeah, Im a painter and you never push anyone to pose for you like that, and if one is really a painter you'd ask for someone to pose for you in person and if not ask permission to use one of your photos and thats it, you have to back off and respect the person whom you want to paint. Damn this guy for making it seem like us painters are a bunch of perverts.

After reading the first message I knew it was all fake and the name is really fake too, "Grace E. Quinn"? Dead give away. NEVER believe anyone is who they say they are online. If you cant really trust a person in person, what makes you think you can trust one online?

To all the girls out there, be REALLY careful and always assume the worst of the person trying to contact you for something cosplay related like that.
I know that it seemed foolish for me for believing him, however their are so many strange names nowadays...-shrugs- I just wanted to get the word out before more people get hurt like my friend Yuuki.

And I agree with everything you say. =]
  Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny
 
Noize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 609
Sounds like he was trying to force you to let him paint you, which is something no one has control of but you. This is creepy and I'm so sorry this happened to you and your friend. Thank you for informing this.
__________________
Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]
Okita Souji [Hakuouki]
Levi [Shingeki no Kyojin]
Guo Jia [Dynasty Warrior 8]
Fem!Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]


Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Military Akira [Togainu no Chi]


Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,028
This person has been talked about here before. But yeah, it's important to be aware of this internet creep.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Akune-chan
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
Good catch, sounds like just the next iteration of the "interview" scam where they coerce a girl into stripping during a video chat and then blackmail her with the video.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Sounds like he was trying to force you to let him paint you, which is something no one has control of but you. This is creepy and I'm so sorry this happened to you and your friend. Thank you for informing this.
Thankfully nothing happened to us that would ruin our reputations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
This person has been talked about here before. But yeah, it's important to be aware of this internet creep.
Has he really?
I didn't know that.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Amanita
Registered User
 
Amanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,376
Yeah, when they started going on about how you would have to remove clothes, that was my "red flag moment". Because a real artist would respect the comfort level of their models- if it's so essential to do nudity, they would be up front about that and say they were looking for a nude model. Otherwise, they would respect your comfort level, and what you felt comfortable showing.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
There was an official notice and what not on the front page. I believe admin also had an entire thread about it. Just a heads up in case the thread is locked.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Akune-chan
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Yeah, when they started going on about how you would have to remove clothes, that was my "red flag moment". Because a real artist would respect the comfort level of their models- if it's so essential to do nudity, they would be up front about that and say they were looking for a nude model. Otherwise, they would respect your comfort level, and what you felt comfortable showing.
It was mine as well but I just tilted my head since in a way it made sense but once they started pushing it I was like, "enough is enough."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
There was an official notice and what not on the front page. I believe admin also had an entire thread about it. Just a heads up in case the thread is locked.
I knew about the one that claimed to be interviewers with Coscom, if there was another one after that I did not notice it.
Also, there was no mention of Cosplay.com from the messages sent, nor was there an interview mentioned either.
I merely made this thread in order to give cosplayers the heads up to the fact that this person (if its the same person) is up to new tricks or there are other people now trying to do this as well. ^^;
  Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer
 
FlashBlitzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 67
Thank you for raising the awareness of scams like this.

As a photo / video person, you can rest assured that a professional will never ask to see your "body type" on skype. (I quit skyping a few years ago after seeing a few security flaws and now put tape over my laptop camera as well as disabling mic and cam through control panel.) I know- paranoid....

However, I am interested in this story for research I've been doing.
There is an inherent danger to both models and photographers who meet up through social networking sites. I am collecting stories from both models and photogs who wind up in dangerous situations. My research will hopefully save lives and keep people from taking advantage of others using anonymity or false identities online.

If someone legit asks to hire you as a model, they should also request a public pre-shoot meeting in person and discuss details like payment and expectations at that point. It's very important to see who your dealing with and know a little about them. It should be ok for both parties to have an assistant / friend present as witness.

I do hire models from time to time, however, I refuse to shoot people I have never met or talked to in person before the shoot. It's a trust thing both ways.

Great post! This is incredibly important to be aware of.
FlashBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #12
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator
 
Michi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 21,127
Yeah, this has been happening for a while. I got the same thing a few years back, but it was on MSN of all things if I remember correctly. Probably the same guy. Sheesh.
__________________
日本語も出来ます。

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
Chikyeux
Yeux hoo~
 
Chikyeux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
i just received a message from this person on Skype, but they found me through the site Interpals. we talked on skype and they INSISTED that we do the first session tonight ( its 2:02 am and i have classes tomorrow ) they DO NOT have an actual picture of themselves on the site, however they do on their skype. I had a weird feeling about them so i did a little research on their name and i found this. I would feel bad if she was actually someone who wanted to paint people. I blocked them on interpals and skype just in case.
__________________
Cosplays
Alois Trancy: 99%
CONLIST: ????
Chikyeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Akune-chan
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBlitzen View Post
Thank you for raising the awareness of scams like this.

As a photo / video person, you can rest assured that a professional will never ask to see your "body type" on skype. (I quit skyping a few years ago after seeing a few security flaws and now put tape over my laptop camera as well as disabling mic and cam through control panel.) I know- paranoid....

However, I am interested in this story for research I've been doing.
There is an inherent danger to both models and photographers who meet up through social networking sites. I am collecting stories from both models and photogs who wind up in dangerous situations. My research will hopefully save lives and keep people from taking advantage of others using anonymity or false identities online.

If someone legit asks to hire you as a model, they should also request a public pre-shoot meeting in person and discuss details like payment and expectations at that point. It's very important to see who your dealing with and know a little about them. It should be ok for both parties to have an assistant / friend present as witness.

I do hire models from time to time, however, I refuse to shoot people I have never met or talked to in person before the shoot. It's a trust thing both ways.

Great post! This is incredibly important to be aware of.
Thank so much for the tips and for the facts!
Now I know how to react if an actual painter/photographer wants to have a session with me.
=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Yeah, this has been happening for a while. I got the same thing a few years back, but it was on MSN of all things if I remember correctly. Probably the same guy. Sheesh.
Ah man. ; 3 ;' That really sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikyeux View Post
i just received a message from this person on Skype, but they found me through the site Interpals. we talked on skype and they INSISTED that we do the first session tonight ( its 2:02 am and i have classes tomorrow ) they DO NOT have an actual picture of themselves on the site, however they do on their skype. I had a weird feeling about them so i did a little research on their name and i found this. I would feel bad if she was actually someone who wanted to paint people. I blocked them on interpals and skype just in case.
^This is the main reason why I wanted to get the word out so fast!
I am so thankful that you blocked this person. She is definitely not "Grace" since my friend tried to do a session with her/him and it wasn't professional at all. :[ They also were pressing me to do a session with them telling me that "they are picky with who they want to paint" and that I had the "face they wanted to paint."

I would really feel bad if I am wrong about her, however there are too many red flags that point otherwise.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
evaunit01berser
Banned
 
evaunit01berser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,343
same style, a different approach.

akune, you are not wrong. Do a little google search and you will find a lot of girls that fell for a scheme for a session that was allegedly "private" and is now posted on amatuer fap sites.

Seriously, any mention of "taking off clothes" should be an instant push of that red hang up button.
__________________
Looking for a room at the convention? Can't find one? We can find you one!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZUE6M Q#gid=0
evaunit01berser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.