Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 05-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
rainbowxfishy

dyeing things black, help

so im thinking of dyeing some clothes i have black help?
rainbowxfishy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

What are the clothes made of. Some fabrics wont dye. Threads wont always dye, as they tend to be synthetic so the stitching might stay the original color. Black dye can also go rather gray instead of a true black, depending on base color.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

Just buy a dye made for the type of fibre you have. Polyesters might not take the dye significantly. Even other fabrics might not, especially of you can't get the water hot enough. I had some silk velvet (yes, backing AND pile was 100% silk) wouldn't go black, thankfully I was happy with eggplant.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

1) We need more information to help you. What are your clothes made of? Cotton? Polyester? Rayon? Wool? A blend? There are different types of dyes meant for different types of fabrics, and these dyes are used in different ways. If you use the wrong type of dye, the color won't take, it won't come out right, or the process may damage your clothes.

2) If you want to go black, you'll need to use a higher quantity of dye than you normally would for other colors. Black is very intense so you have to saturate the hell out of the fabric. (Also, not all dyes are made equal.)

3) There are different types of blacks: red based, green based, blue based, etc. This under-color will show through to some extent.

4) If the clothes you start with are different colors (say, white shirt and blue pants), they will NOT dye to the exact same matching black. If you can get them both dark enough, the difference may end up being really subtle and not a big deal. On the other hand, it may be very noticeable if you can't get the color to saturate enough. Your final outcome will not look like a matched uniform, if that's what you're hoping for.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Penlowe

Black is the hardest color to achieve when dyeing, regardless of fiber or what the fabric looked like to begin with.

I wear black shirts to work 5 days a week. They were black when I bought them, but after two years, not so much. I used Rit and re-dyed them black again following all the rules and tips for best color. While the look better, they are no where close to the original deep black of new fabric. Such is dyeing things black.