Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Best eye makeup remover that WON'T burn?

For my Quorra cosplay, I have some extremely long-lasting blue eyeliner that gets worn with it (M.A.C. Pro Longwear eye liner, in mountain blue, to be specific)... I love the stuff since it does exactly what I want it to, but the problem is, it is SO FREAKING HARD TO GET OFF! I have to rub and rub and rub and RUB at my undereyes with remover until they're red and sore, then scrape at it with my nails, and I'll still have traces left on my skin. My skin also doesn't like a lot of kinds of makeup remover; I find a lot of them burn my face/eyes, so I usually have to pick the "gentle" products. I usually use the Body Shop's makeup removers, but the last ones I bought are doing precisely what they used to NOT do to me.

So there's my dilemma; extremely hardwearing eyeliner, and makeup remover won't take it all off. I'm low on remover anyway, so my question is; what are some good, inexpensive brands that'll take hard-to-remove makeup around the eyes off, and NOT sting or burn your skin in doing so? Or if you have tips and techniques to help get it off without having to buy a specific product, that's very welcome too.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Throatriptron
Tsundere

Oil based make-up remover will do the trick. You can even use baby oil. And it won't burn your skin.

You may want to wash your face afterwards, though, so it's not oily overnight or whatever, haha.
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
littlemissnerdy

I use the eye make up remover that Avon sells! It's never bothered my eyes/skin and works like a charm.
DeviantArt (Brand New): LittleMissHawkeye

2013 Conventions:
C2E2
SDCC
Baltimore Comic Con
NYCC
littlemissnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Cold cream. It gets everything off with ease. For heavy duty eye makeup, I usually apply some to my lids and gently massage the areas with makeup, for under the eyes, I do the same thing but use a cotton swab to get to all the makeup with out getting the cold cream into my eyes. Then I just generally apply to the rest of my face, massage it in a bit, wipe it off, and wash my face as usual. It seriously removes everything. My friend who's a theater major uses Pond's after every performance as well.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Cold cream sounds like a good idea. What are some of the brands/names? And, can I get them in a drugstore?
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

You should be able to find Pond's brand cold cream just about anywhere. There's about two dozen different varieties these days, but I opt for the original - it says moisturizer/make-up remover right on front. I get mine at Target for under $5.

Next con: Yaoi Con (Burlingham, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm Canadian, if that makes any difference- we seem to get most US cosmetic brands here but on occasion we don't. But I'm going out to the drugstore tomorrow, so I'll have a look for Pond's while I'm there.
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Pond's is the only brand I've ever used--I get the one with the green lid.

If your drugstore doesn't have any cold cream, I've also heard Bioderma cleansing water is great for removing makeup. I've never tried it since it's not available in the US so anything I know about it is from the beauty community on YouTube but I have heard it's great for sensitive skin and I'm pretty sure it's available in Canada. Apply to a cotton pad and gently press onto your eyes. Leave it there for a second and wipe it away. I do this whenever I use a traditional eye make up remover and it works a lot better than rubbing at your eyes.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Suuki
Sakura Chan

Baby Oil.
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

Cold creams are great, I also really am begging to dig Cetaphil too for make up removal. Does the job really good, even on those days I passed out with my make up on and wake up cosplaying a drunk raccoon.
Xaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
broberheim

Believe it or not, I have these makeup remover wipes from Dollar Tree, and they work wonders. They take everything off in a snap, and they don't irritate my eyes or skin at all.
broberheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Boreotheria
n00b

I use Philosophy's makeup remover, which is called Purity Made Simple. It's not cheap -- a 3 oz bottle is around $12 -- but I use some hard-wearing makeup like waterproof mascara, and it works well on that. Sephora sells it and you might even be able to try a little on your skin in the store and see whether it irritates, before you buy it.

You could also ask at a place like Sephora what they recommend for sensitive skin and tough makeup. If you go with something other than straight-up baby oil you'll probably pay money, because it might be a bit of a specialty product. But if you're using quality makeup already you might as well use quality remover.

Last edited by Boreotheria : 05-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissnerdy View Post
I use the eye make up remover that Avon sells! It's never bothered my eyes/skin and works like a charm.
Seconding and recommending this as well if you can get it. It is hands-down, the most effective eye makeup remover I have used but it is really gentle and soothing. It is the only way I can get off all the heavy-duty waterproof stuff without any scrubbing or repeated attempts. I usually use sensitive skin products galore but this one works fine even during allergy season when my skin is exceptionally mad at the world.

As for buying it, it is often on promo sale for 99 cents a bottle or $4 regular price. Either case, it is a pretty awesome price. If you do not have an Avon rep in your area, you can shop online or check eBay as a lot of reps sell their Avon products on there as well as doing the traditional in-person selling.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Darn, my Aunt sells Avon, but family wise there's been a massive falling-out, so now there's no talking to her. I went out and bought the Pond's cold cream yesterday; I'll give it a test soon. Thanks to everyone who replied!
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Anything with Mineral oil or straight up Mineral oil. I use the one from Marcelle called Essentials Gentle Make-Up Remover for Sensitive Eyes (crazy long name) and Lancome's Bi-Facil that is revered but it expensive and also have a refined version of mineral oil that is the active ingredient so why pay that much for it. >_<

The oils works faster then cold cream to remove waterproof makeup. You just hold it to you eye for a bit and wipe away.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-10-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote