Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
emilyloveslime

Body Paint Steps (Mehron Paradise AQ)

Hey guys,

We're cosplaying the characters from Interstella 5555 and I'm curious as to what the steps are to apply body paint. I've purchased Mehron Paradise AQ (http://www.mehron.com/Paradise_Makeu...onal_p/800.htm) in teal here for both our arms and face/neck areas.

Questions:
1) Is there a specific way I should prep my skin for the paint? Powders?
2) Sponges and brushes for this paint, right?
3) Should I purchase any other colors? I've heard about contouring but I'm not sure what that is exactly. I know I should probably wear eyeliner, etc. but anybody have any experience they can share?
4) Setting spray- I've heard Ben Nye Final Seal is awesome. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
emilyloveslime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

Okay, this is how *I* do body painting work for cosplay:

Prep: Clean and moisturized skin (I make sure the moisturizer is absorbed good!).
Two coats of Final Seal (yes its a good product! Love it.) that are left to dry between coats.

Paint: Since you are using the Paradise AQ, you want sponges, you can save some $$ and get the sponges they use for ceramics at Michaels (they're tan/orangy and like a fluffy hockey puck). Get the sponges just wet enough. Damp but not sopping, then put it on the cake and rub in circles to put the product on the sponge (if you get bubbles or water oozing out of the sponge as you rub you've gone too wet). Apply to prepped skin in dabbed circles, aiming for a smooth airbrushed kind of look.

Contouring: This is to help put dimension back into your features as sometimes body painting can leave one a little flat looking. When I do my Orion Girl/Poison Ivy cosplays I use Ben Nye Luxe Powders and Urban Decay shadows for contouring my face, but if you can find some drug store shadows in a tone darker and a tone lighter, you'll be good to go. Look up contouring videos on youtube (check out gossmakeupartist!) for help on that, but I mainly do my contours like this:
Dark color: Cheekbones, jaw line, outer forehead, sides of the nose.
Light color: Between brows, above brows, along nose, under eyes.

And I am a super blender, I try to keep it light, but noticeable, so if I go a little heavy I just use my sponge with the face paint on it to help me blend out my oopsies.

From here if I'm going to apply a make up look on top, I do it now as well, and then add a very sheer layer of Ben Nye Luxe Powders on top of everything, just to keep blending my work together, and if I come out a little patchy, to fix that too.

Finishing up: Seal with two+ coats of Final Seal. Dry out, and go!
Xaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
emilyloveslime

This is SO incredibly useful! I think we're going to end up going with the Kryolan Aquacolor but it is very similar so your instructions will still be good. Thanks so much! I'm so excited
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
emilyloveslime

I think we will also have to pencil in our brows and do some eyeliner so it doesn't look completely weird.
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

Yeah, brow drawing, lip filling and everything is included in the make up look part! XD

Good luck!
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
detenten

Everything Xalia said is great advice

I love Mehron Paradise. I tout it all day.

For skin prep I actually wash with a bar soap and leave it at that. Moisturizer may or may not help or hurt, I haven't tried. Paradise is very gentle and full of botanicals so I've never had an issue with skin drying out using this product.

Paradise doesn't actually need any final seal. It sticks on its own and doesn't rub off. I have never used final seal and never had any issues. Again, it probably doesn't hurt though.

Use the damp sponge for application-- you want one that has very small "holes" in it. I use a Mehron sponge. I'm sure a cheaper sponge is available that will do the job, but my makeup shop sells them alongside the Paradise cakes for $3 and I'm lazy. Wet the sponge, then squeeze it out. You want to dab, not brush.

I've never done contouring, but it's a style preference.
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

Just to add to this I try you use moisturizer the days prior to applying the body paint and exfoliate to prep the skin. The day of I just wash down so that none of the skin products effects the wear of the makeup.

Costume-Con 32
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Jack & Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
detenten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Just to add to this I try you use moisturizer the days prior to applying the body paint and exfoliate to prep the skin. The day of I just wash down so that none of the skin products effects the wear of the makeup.
^ probably the soundest advice regarding moisturizers!
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

I apply moisturizers because I have REALLY dry skin, and so if I apply without the moisturizers, I end up tinted, even with the Final Seal as a barrier spray. XD Its also why I let the product seep into my skin before spraying and painting!

Normal water-based moisturizers are fine, but if you're using something oily (or worse SUNBLOCK) you're going to get product-trouble from the face paints.

Can't tell y'all how often I gotta ask parents to NOT freshly apply sunblock to their kid before I paint them at work... its like when you apply white or yellow crayon to paper then watercolor over it... argh!
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
emilyloveslime

I've got super dry skin too, so I will probably be putting lotion on before as well just in case it stains. Although, I went to Kryolan to test out the teal Aquacolor and left it on for several hours. It washed off without even the slightest green/blue tint...maybe I'm lucky?
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

You are! *jelly!* XD Haha!
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
emilyloveslime

Thanks again everyone!

I'm hoping my boyfriend and our friends won't stain. I'll have to test it on them when they get in.

Another question - I'm pretty sure I can do the make up for Stella, since I'm a girl and I can do the normal eyeshadow, eyeliner etc. For the guys, I probably just want to contour, do eyebrows and some slight eyeliner, right?
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

That's right!