Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Ashlen Rose

Can you make pants with upholstery faux leather?

So I am trying to cosplay this Mercenary Katarina And it I was wanting to make the pants out of vinyl but I can't find any in that color, so I stumbled upon the perfect color, but its Faux leather and says is used for "upholstery, outdoors/marine" Would this type of fabric actually work for pants or is it to stiff?
Ashlen Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

No no no no nooooooo. That stuff is WAY too heavy for making clothes out of. I make my belts, pouches and bags for cosplay with it. You'd never be able to wear it for clothing.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

nope... I tried once... it was HORRIBLE... I only use it for boot covers and stuff now...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Ashlen Rose

darn any suggestions then on what I could use? I can't find PVC or Vinyl in that color
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

What about wet look spandex? http://spandexhouse.com/search-resul...chKye=wet+look

it can be used in lieu of actual pleather, and will stretch with your body, as well as but much easier to work it as opposed to the real thing...
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Ashlen Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigogami View Post
What about wet look spandex? http://spandexhouse.com/search-resul...chKye=wet+look

it can be used in lieu of actual pleather, and will stretch with your body, as well as but much easier to work it as opposed to the real thing...
I didn't even think of that, thank you!!! Doesn't look like they have it in dark enough of a green, would this be dye-able? Ill search the other sites to see if they have it maybe in a darker green.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Kaniki

Spandex doesn't like dye, just so you know haha.

I work at JoAnn's, and I can't tell you the amount of times people have come in complaining (mainly) about how the dye/color from the Pink and Red spandex runs horribly as soon as they get wet. I have a forest green top I made for a Raver Bulbasaur costume that I made out of it that seemed okay though. Maybe it's just the reds that don't stick? .-. Not sure. If anything you could always test it on a small piece before dying a lot of it. :3
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
Ashlen Rose

Okay thanks I will give it a try ^_^!

Also what do you think of this one The hunter-66 should be the first one, do you think that would match the pants?

Last edited by Ashlen Rose : 05-08-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Ashlen Rose

Would I be better off getting white wet look spandex and dye dark green, instead of buying a green and trying to make it darker?
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Most spandex does not dye well; it depends on the fiber content (nylon, acrylic, polyester, cotton). Cotton/lycra will dye, as will nylon/lycra, but polyester/lycra won't. And AFAIK wet-look spandex is polyester.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Tried to make a coat out of this as it was a BAD idea as well. >_<

And yes to can't dye faux leather.

I-Dye Poly is mean for polyester weave while the wet look variate is more like platic sheets and would warp the fabric/platic layer.

The stuff you linked is a Four Way Stretch Nylon Spandex. You might be able to dye it with a combo of acid dye and I-Dye Poly to dye both the nylon and spandex weaves.

Here another image of her and her pants almost match her jacket.
http://lol.garena.ph/category/artwork

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
Ashlen Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
Most spandex does not dye well; it depends on the fiber content (nylon, acrylic, polyester, cotton). Cotton/lycra will dye, as will nylon/lycra, but polyester/lycra won't. And AFAIK wet-look spandex is polyester.
The wetlook one i got says its Nylon/spandex, so does this mean it will be possible if I use the simmer/hot method of dying? I bought an extra yard, just in case of shrinking.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Polyester and nylon fabrics are dyed at the "fiber" level, meaning the very beginning, and that means it makes it super hard to do any other type of treatment and they are very fastidious on taking in any other dye. They can also bleed a lot when you dye it, plus since there's a finish on it, boiling it can ruin the finish and with lycra based fabrics can ruin the stretch of it. Lycra is very heat sensitive and the fibers weaken after a lot of exposure to heat.

What you need to do is cut a 5 inch by 5 inch piece out of the fabric, and do ANYTHING you want to do to the bigger piece of fabric.

This is called a swatch test. This will help you with any test you want to try on the fabric and let you know how the yardage will react to any treatments
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
NicotineUke
Matt Turned Prussian?

I tried it twice. Once I made a trenchvest, and once a pair of pants. The pants didn't work out, I'm not sure if that's because of my lack of ever having made pants before or the material... But the trenchvest worked out, it's definitely not easy to work with and takes a sewing machine up to the challenge.... It's not impossible, but not exactly nice to work with either....

Upcoming cons=
ConBravo 2013
In-progress/Current Cosplays=
Prussia (Hetalia) - 100%
Nurse!Prussia (Hetalia) - 100%

Greece (Hetalia) - 80%
(Tentative)
Nurse!Romano (Hetalia) - 0%
Nyotalia!Sweden OR Nyotalia!Germany (Hetalia) - 0%
NicotineUke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #15
Ronnichu