Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
ChocoAndCigs
An Obvious Obsession

Bald+Dreads=Hardest Thing Ever?

Hey guys! Long time no post.
A few of my buddies and I are putting together a Dethklok group for Las Vegas Comic Con, and since... all of my buddies pretty much have no idea about cosplay, I'm helping them all with their costumes.
My only problem is, Pickles the Drummer and his cursed bald/dread combo.

My friend is going to shave all of his hair off for the part (although I told him he didn't have to, since I know how to use a bald cap, but he insisted so, I guess it makes the process easier). I've done my research, I know in essence how to make the dreads, but I'm not sure how to when they're not attached to anything. I was thinking at first to make each individual dread (but from what? Extensions? Making them on a wig and cutting them off and double ending them?) and attaching them with spirit gum. But that would be a huge pain. So what? Attach the dreads onto something else? What though?

I guess in essence I know how to... I just don't know how to put the two together. Or what would be the best things to use, or the best way to go about it. I want to use good wig hair, not wool like some people do. I'm pretty picky, I guess, but I really need some ideas or options.

TL;DR: I need some major help with Pickles' hair.
ChocoAndCigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Maybe wig lace? Or a bald cap?
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

O man, I thought you meant you wanted to stuff dreads under a bald cap and I was like, "yeah, that's not gonna happen".

I think that having a bald cap would actually be easier than trying to affix that to someone's actual head.

It's going to be easiest to just super-glue them onto a bald cap. Most likely to stay, too.

If the person really insists on shaving their head, you could try spirit gum or pros-aide or something.

But it's going to be HARDER and more of a pain in the ass for everyone involved. Because you'll have to re-apply them every time the costume is worn and they might get messed up from coming on and off - whereas with a bald cap you glue them on once and you're done and just have to blend it in when you wear it. Heck, the dreads could even hide the seams on the most of the cap edges unless they have a low forehead.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Yes if they do shave their head, spirit gum will be the only adhesive that would work as pros aide works best with smooth surfaces.

A good reusable bald cap I recommend is from Kryolan. You can blend out the edges with nose and scar wax or eyebrow wax.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
ChocoAndCigs
An Obvious Obsession

I was thinking of maybe finding a way to attach at least all the bottom dreads to something to make it easier to apply/remove? Like a half wig or something...
Also would the dreads be too heavy and tear whatever we use or is that not something I should worry about?
Also also (sorry for all the questions geesh) what should I buy to make the actual dreads? Should I get a wig, dread is, cut off the dreads, and double end them? Extensions wouldn't work as far as I"m thinking. I know there are dread making things but I'd rather just stick with a traditional wig... but would it work?
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I would just by a dread wig. Dread at mashes up mesh like hair and you cut them away from the wig. This way toy will have the lower wig to use for this hair.

I would attache it with toupee clips.

Here is a tutorial taking about a half bald cap and wig here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unRV_kgCojU

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-06-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
ChocoAndCigs
An Obvious Obsession

Where does one obtain a dreaded wig in an orange color?
Thank you for all your help. (: