Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 03-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

The one where Dani and his Sailor Venus costume go together to their first con (TAC)

So much to say.... eventful would be an understatement.

Call it childish excitement, but I literally didn't sleep at all the night before. That had its toll later. Quitted rolling in bed about 6:30 and woke up to do a final shave and head to the hotel where I was to meet the other people of my group.

Got dressed there about 9am, which would make for a full 12 hrs sraight of wearing the costume, including the shoes and wig (more on that below). One of the girls (S Moon) did my makeup and I think she did an amazing job, considering the raw material .

We drove to the Convention centre and luckily found parking at the building itself, which was very useful along the day. Got regged int othe con at about 11:30.

I was amazed at the amount of people who asked for my pic. Never had that kind of attention happen to me before. That and people stopping me on the aisles to compliment me. Call me vain but I loved the attention and the possitive comments that people gave me spontaneously.

Regarding the con itself, I understand now the derogative comments it was given. The only attractions for the paying public were to look at cosplayers (who paid themselves to get in, call it doble dipping), the dealers room (who also paid to get in, another doble dipping), the idol show (again, paying members providing entertainment), a room with movies and a couple of panels. For my own situation I look at it as training or rehearsal for bigger and better things, so it's positive.

The costume held its end of the bargain. I had never worn it before for more than a few minutes and was curious and a bit worried how would it react when put to work. Glad to say not even one stitch popped, nothing fell apart and only needed a couple of safety pins for some minor adjustements. The skirts trims and back bow survived me sitting without complaint, and even drove back and forth in full costume.

I did submit my body to a bit of abuse (well, not really abuse but outside its normal routine). At the end of the night I loved to take off my heels, but that's no news for almost any cosplayer. I was a bit worried about how would my digestive system work inside my corset. Also, I estimated that going to the washroom would had involved taking EVERYTHING off and on again, well over 1/2 hr of work, so I decided to avoid it. Based on these two things, my whole diet for the day (till I got home around 10pm) was 1/2 bagel and 1/2 glass of water. My body has lots of calories stashed all over, so it didn't have the right to complain about not getting more for a few hours. I didn't feel weak or faint or anything like that.

Adding the little sleep i got the night before, the heels, and the lack of entertainment, at the early afternoon I foud a chair and sat down for a while, almost ready to doze off.

Regarding crossplay, nobody EVER said anything negative, or made me feel my choice of character (or gender) to play was unwelcome. Got nothing but thumbs up from everyone. Considering that regardless how good the makeup and costume was, I think it was obvious there was a guy underneath. Having shaved at 7am, 5-oclock shadow eventually started degrading the makeup job. We could have taken the effort of take everything out, shave and apply makeup again, but I don't think it was necessary for this particular situation. It is something that might have to be considered for other ocassions.
My tucking, chest taping and corset didn't bother a bit during the whole day. Forgot I had them after 5 minutes. Other people might comment if they achieved the right effect, but I think they worked as well as I could have hoped.

To my surprise, the biggest leftover I have on my body is the mark of the wig elastic in my forehead. I tried the wig yesterday for the first time, and there was no time to fix it, so it poked my forehead the whole day (even sometimes painfully). Even now after 18 hrs since I took it off, the red marks are clearly visible, and a bit painful if I touch it. Definitely something to fix. The only other leftover is a bit razor burn I will get with all the shaving, but that's expected and have dealt with it before. Nothing to worry about.

My group wanted to join the pseudo-masquerade so we half cooked an improvised dance, and of course it looked improvised and didn't get very far. Regardless of the dreaded "idol" theme, it was a chance to see great cosplay skills in action with the almost 20 participants.

I got some pics on my own camera, and aked all the people that took my pic to email me copies (does anyone think handing out a card asking for that sounds pretentious?). One came in already. I will be flooding my gallery soon as soon as I get a bunch cleaned up and sorted. Check it out regularly.

So in short, 99% positive, plus 1% seemingly negative but also positive because it helped me find things that need further attention.

It was GREAT to meet all the people that came to say HI, and I'd LOVE to do it again soon

Dani

Unread 03-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
RHIshida
lol internet

Glad to hear your first con went good!
Unread 03-21-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Dani,

On the handing out of cards: Nearly all cosplayers in Japan have 'cosplay cards/meishi', which they exchange when they take a photo of another cosplayer, or have their photo taken. Usually, the people taking the photos will put up the pictures in their gallery, so the person who received the card can go check it out and take their picture/link to it if they want. The receiver of the card can also go check out the person's webpage, see other cosplay works they have done, etc.

After attending a few minor conventions here, it's something I plan on doing back home in North America, even if some people think it's pretentious. It sure beats having to copy out the URL a million times so people can go find their pictures, or trusting them to remember it or visit cosplay websites like this one to find it.

I suggest you get one made (you can design it on your computer and print it off), with your cosplay/real name, the name of your cosplay page and the URL, and your email (if you want, if it's not posted on the webpage). Just carry some in your purse or in a little pocket. You don't have to give them out to everyone, but they're nice to have. It's a good way to make friends, too.

Go for it!

Also, glad the con was a great experience for you! Your costume looks amazing, so I must say I'm not surprised at the amount of attention you got! Congrats! Can't wait to see the gallery.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Lafiel
The Pasty Princess

Dani I saw you around the con, and your costume looks amazing in person.
(I was dressed in a poofy white costume with a small black hat, with a short blonde wig) I doubt you saw me by you passed by me a number of times. I would have come up and said hello but I was embarassed

I remember when I first saw you I pointed it out to my friend and said "I know that person from cosplay.com!"

If I hadn't of known I would have never guessed it was crossplaying.

I had planned to go to Japan during AN this year, but that might fall through so I may see you at AN and work up the nerve to introduce myself
Lafiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #5
MizuZero
So are we dancing or not?

Your legs were really, really smooth. I didn't get a chance to see your presentation, as you were first and we were in line. You certainly looked better then a lot of the male cosplayers there.
MizuZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Ryukka
Pocky Monster

*_* your costume was so insanly awsome. If I had a dollor for every time I overheard someone commenting on how gorgeous your legs are.. I'd.. have alot of money XDD;;
Ryukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
Ochika
Dynasty Laywers

i loved the costume sooo much ^_^ all the shinny-ness and frilly-ness it was so pretty!! heh i was the cat girl who was running around like a crazed freak....and if you watched cosplay idol i was the one who sliped and fell on stage OH and the one who got scott to put on bright red lipstick and kiss my birthday card (check my photo album to see!) i wish i could get my legs that pretty...stupied deposites of fat x.x grrr any way i loved the costume so much and you did such and amazing job! keeep up the good work and i hope to see it again at AN and this time ill have a cam to take pics

Conventions 2008- Anime north, Dragon con (maybe) Fan expo, Youmacon
Ochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2004, 06:08 PM   #8
dani

Thanks for the compliments. Next time (AN?) please approach me to say hi

Regarding cards, I made some on my computer, business card sized, and handed them out to anyone that took a pic of me with a dig camera. The cards said to please email me a copy. I gave out a bit over 30, and so far got 3 emails back from those.

About my legs, I can't claim I had as much to do as with the costume. I inherited them from my mom . I do try to keep them in shape somewhat, treadmilling in heels.

Today I took the costume and some pics to my sewing classes, and the whole class went Ohhh and Ahhh, including the teacher.

Next chance to see me live: Ad-Astra, on the saturday.

Dani
Unread 03-30-2004, 09:56 PM   #9
rox_my_sox
Kimmington!

hi, i totally LOVED your costume. I have to addmit that i was quite entraced and started randomnly, not suspisiosly fallowed u for parts of the con like in the dealers room, i will send u the pictures as soon as i get them scanned, i got some really good ones. I also have to say that i was majourly jelous of your legs also, mine arent bad but urs were WOW! I got a picture of u, u and the other sailor scout cosplayers and a picture of the dance. Unfortunately i was not able to see your skit because i was number 6(i think) and u were number one so i was behinde u in line by afew people. I totally am so glad that i got the courage to talk to you. I cant wait to see you at anime north, i couldnt help but notice alot of the time u were alone, at anime north, I will come and hang out/walk around with you for a while XD hehe totally can't wait. oh and if i get annoying tell me to go away, i wont minde
see you there!
Unread 03-31-2004, 12:25 AM   #10
dani

I'd love to get more pics . I love pics.... The more the merrier... I don't think I would be a cosplayer if photo cameras didn't exist...

Please come over and chat whenever you feel like. I don't bite and will enjoy the company. I was by myself for part of the con because my sailor mates were interested in that panel but I knew I would have fallen asleep if I had been in that room. (I almost fall asleep on that chair I found to rest my bum, too).

See you at Ad-Aastra?
Dani
Unread 04-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #11
Ryukka
Pocky Monster

I'm not sure if you've seen this yet, but I came across a video of your group from cosplay idol and thought you might like to see it ^_^ (here it is)
Ryukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2004, 11:39 PM   #12
dani

Thanks, Ryukka. I had seen it already. For the last couple of days I've been meaning to open it on a video editing program to try to fix the contrast and make it a bit more visible, but preparing for the con tomorrow hasn't left much time for anything else.
When I get around to it I'll share the results.
Thanks again...
Dani
Unread 04-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
yukitoLeonheart
Gwen Stefani Rules <3

You will LOVE Anime North, it is a larger con, and conventions like this I am pretty sure you will get lot's of hugs (glomps) and everyone will probably not give you a second to rest because of trying to get so many photos. Conventions are amazing like that, esp I find large one's because most people love just having fun and enjoying/ celebrating our differences and diversity. Congrats on the costume btw, I remember when you first came here and I was thinking, wow, he has crossplay skills when I saw your star trek costume. Now you get your first anime related one and it's amazing. Congrats again.
yukitoLeonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2004, 05:15 PM   #14
dani

The next chapter of the intriguing saga of Dani and Sailor Venus is here: http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=11
Suspense, emotion and intrigue when Dani attends Ad-astra, a fantasy and sci-fi con. Who will go home with the prize??

Dani
Unread 04-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
Oselle
Froufaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani
The next chapter of the intriguing saga of Dani and Sailor Venus is here: http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=11
Suspense, emotion and intrigue when Dani attends Ad-astra, a fantasy and sci-fi con. Who will go home with the prize??

Dani
Congratulations on the award, Dani!! I'm glad to see a new cosplayer on the scene be so recognized, and I'm extra-glad all your hard work has payed off.