Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
beccalouise

Cheapest place/site to get coloured contacts?

Note: I'm from the UK, so preferably UK sites/shops please!

I'm planning on doing a Nyu/Lucy cosplay from Elfen Lied and she has red/dark pink eyes so I'm in need of finding some red or dark pink contact lenses. I've never cosplayed before nor wore contact lenses so I'm clueless on the average price of them, but I'm not wanting to spend a lot on them as (as far as i'm aware) you can only wear them a few times only.

Any links please? Thanks!

Here are her eyes if you know of ones exactly like hers
beccalouise is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Before you buy contact lenses, you need to get a professional exam/fitting done to make sure you can safely wear cosmetic lenses with your eye measurements, and be shown how to properly care for, insert and remove them- and in most cases, you also need a valid prescription to order lenses from reputable sellers online. That may or may not cost you money to get (I don't know if eye care is free in the UK, since I'm Canadian, but I know some workplaces give eye care coverage with benefits to employees/their families. So yeah, if you're not covered, full exams tend to run from $50-70. A contact exam alone, might be cheaper) but it's very much essential to not risk serious harm to yourself. You don't want to go blind for the sake of a costume.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Pheasants

Hi! I'm from the UK, and I use contacts and glasses so what you want to do it:

If you're under either 18 or 16, can't remember which it is, but optical express do free basic eye exams. You can go, have your eyes checked over for what you need to know to get contacts.
Don't know how much it is if you're over 18, my eyes haven't changed since I was 15 so I've not been back.

Anyway, with buying the actual contacts, if you go into costume shops, and some beauty shops (Not boots/superdrug) they stock a brand called 'mesereyes'.
They're okay, they don't cover too well, but if you can't order online or just need them in a rush, they are okay. They do fashion lenses and then the basic colour halloween ones. The base curve for those is 8.6 with a diameter of (I think) 14.00, I have never used them, because I need my contacts to have a power or I'll be walking into things all through the con, but my friends have used them.

But for Lucy, because her eyes are such a bright colour, I'd use some from pinky paradise. You can order them with or without a power, then to me, in nottingham, it took 6 days to deliver from malaysia with the cheapest shipping.
the contacts last for a year, and you can get those to make your eyes look really big.

The mesereyes contacts cost about £10-£20 for a pair that can last 3 months, tops, where PP's are about £20 inclu shipping, but last for a year so you get so much wear out of them.

But for lucy, my recommendation is:
https://www.pinkyparadise.com/Vassen..._p/g26-red.htm
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
tokyobarnrat
The Princess Has Arrived

Honeycolor. ^^

-Ninja Theory DmC -- Dante -- Completed March 2013
-Skyward Sword -- Zelda Spirit Maiden -- Completed May 2013
-Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger -- Fem Gokai Red/Lady Marvelous -- Set for completion September 2013
-Final Fantasy VII -- Goddess Minerva -- ???

tokyobarnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
AnimeTaco4

After you get an eye exam, id definitely recommend uniqso! They have a very large selection and i have ordered from them numerous times!!
Chiaki Nanami

Kumoricon 2014
The Condescension
Nonon Jakuzure
Genocider Syo
Chiaki Nanami
AnimeTaco4 is offline   Reply With Quote