Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
tabbykat

Why do guys wanna crossplay as gals?

sooo... this might have been asked before.. but it is the trend now for guys to crossplay as gals...

I'd like to know... why do you do it guys?
tabbykat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

trend? Wth are you talking about? MtF crossplayers are still vastly in the minority as far as ive seen.

As for why we do it, there used to be a thread on that. Basically it varies from person to person.
For the most part its just cosplay to most. They like the character and their design, so they cosplay them regardless of whether their gender is opposite to their own.
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
PoodleBoy

Yep. NOT a trend. Its been happening since there's been "cosplay". I think there are more FtoM crossplayers simply because society's tolerance is greater for females in male clothing than for males in female clothing.
I personally crossplay because I find the female characters more interesting and their costumes more fun. I guess also its an enjoyable escape from the tradional male-clothing world I have to live in during the majority of my life while at home, work, etc.
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbykat View Post
it is the trend now for guys to crossplay as gals...
It's not a new trend.

Quote:
Because it's awesome.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Quote:
Because it's fun, and I get to wear clothing that I'd never get to wear under other circumstances (just like male cosplay). I also get lots of positive attention, which I won't deny is nice.

And speaking of positive attention, my girlfriend thinks it's hot

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

What matter is it of yours?

Seriously, I know that sounds rude as hell, but I'm serious..Why should you care what other people do with their lives?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I've been doing it for years now, and I have people who are disappointed when I don't do it. They come up to the booth or stop me while at cons and ask why I'm not in a dress (or skirt) of same sort. I missed crossplaying at 3 cons this year due to a broken knee and ohh boy, my fans weren't pleased. Also, that's the best way to get girls to talk to me! It's also fun too, even though it started as a joke for me.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNewHere View Post
I've been doing it for years now, and I have people who are disappointed when I don't do it. They come up to the booth or stop me while at cons and ask why I'm not in a dress (or skirt) of same sort.
I get that too. It's kind of awesome

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Throatriptron
Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post

Seriously, I know that sounds rude as hell, but I'm serious..Why should you care what other people do with their lives?
It sounds like honest curiosity, the same reason anyone asks anything about another person, ever.

Also sounds like OP is newer to conventions or never really paid attention (or couldn't tell; there are a lot of crazy skilled crossplayers both male and female) so this seems like a "new thing" when really it isn't.
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:

Whoa there.

Last edited by Eau de Decus : 05-11-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Very odd question to ask these fine men, but I want you to consider this. Why do YOU cosplay/cross-play? Do you like the design? Is it comfortable to you? Do you love the character so much? or did you lose a bet?

Everyone's reasoning is different but it's all for the same purpose: Having a fun time. Besides, who wouldn't want to experience being a girl (or boy) for a few days where you won't be shunned or looked down on. Though, for me I cross-play because I feel comfortable in Men's clothing and feel myself.

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Throatriptron and Eau de Decus, I'm not saying it to lash out at them or something if that's what you're thinking..The way they asked and worded it, makes it seem like it's a bad thing. I mean I can see "why do you crossplay" or "what appeals to you about crossplay" or the like, but they SINGLED OUT males as females. Not females as males in any way at all. As if it's some huge deal if a guy does it but not a girl. So it's specifically why MEN do it. It isn't any of their business why men alone crossplay.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

Quote:
As if it's some huge deal if a guy does it but not a girl. So it's specifically why MEN do it. .
thats the way it is in our society. Has been for a while now. Its so common for women to dress like men nowadays thats most people have forgotten thats it wasnt always like that. So a woman crossplaying isn't even noticed. And as for why they care, does it matter? It doesnt seem like they're asking out of anything but curiosity. Even if not, Anytime someone asks a question like that, even for the wrong reasons, I see it as an opportunity to enlighten rather than push them away.
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:05 AM   #14
Kelley
Devil of Details

Guys have been dressing up "like girls" for literally thousands of years for a whole ton of reasons. Historically some might have been transsexual, some might have been gay - it's hard to say since things weren't how we think of things today. Some have done it for sexual gratification.

In modern times it can be any of those things or completely different reasons. Because it's fun, because it's not something the person gets to do often, because it's different, because it's a challenge - whatever.

It doesn't have to relate to gender identity or sexuality. I'm sure it would blow some people's minds but heterosexual men can and do wear "women's" clothing for a variety of reasons from time to time.

This isn't a trend or anything new - and if anything it's been a more visible "hobby" for longer than girls dressing up as guys has been - not that that is anything new, either but drag queens and such certainly have had a stronger presence than drag kings over the years. There are so many reasons and ideas I could go into but there isn't room or time.

Also, it's not really common or accepted for women to really dress like men in "real life". Men's items have crossed over into women's clothing but just because an item is a "suit" for example doesn't mean it's the same thing for both sexes. Women's suits are highly gendered, still. A woman who actually dresses like a man, in actual men's clothing is likely to face derision and not be accepted in a "professional" atmosphere unless they are actually accepting of gender presentation that falls outside the norm. Look up examples of "women's business suits" and see how they match up to "men's business suits" - and count how many are wearing a tie (I found exactly one in all the images in my search - and it was part of a uniform that was paired with a skirt and curvy jacket for women). Mostly there is no neckwear at all, and if it is it's very effeminate - something that a man would be derided for wearing with a business suit just like a woman would be if she was wearing the styles he would be accepted to wear.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan

Last edited by Kelley : 05-12-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Chryso

It's not so much a trend n the sense of a "fad," so much as it is slowly becoming more socially acceptable so it is therefore more visible. Males feel less frowned upon and feel safer crossplaying at conventions these days because it is becoming more open/acceptable to do it.

Agreed with everything Kelley said.

We don't bat an eye at women crossplaying at conventions because it's become socially acceptable for women to wear pants/male attire, so it's not that far a step to use the makeup and body shaping. Male to female crossplay is slowly catching up and I'm thankful for it.

Having said that, it's still quite uncommon/frowned upon to see women truly cross dressing outside of a convention (what I mean is not just wearing pants, but putting on a fake beard and wearing a binder, that kind of thing).

The question of "why do you do crossdress" is just as complicated as the question, "why do you cosplay." People have multifaceted reasons that vary completely from person to person.

Run without rivals

Last edited by Chryso : 05-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote