Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
meb9000

Having crossplayed MtF for my very first time a couple months ago, I can say that crossplaying is all about escapism really. We cosplay because we love a certain character and want to bring that character to life. Crossplaying allows one to experience something even more unique when compared to everyday life. The fact that most anime conventions are the most accepting lot out there helps the cause greatly. I also share the above poster's reasoning that many female characters' costumes are excellent and the added challenge in trying to crossplay as them effectively makes it exciting. I've seen many MtF crossplayers that do it just for the laugh factor, not trying to look female at all, but the ones who take it seriously have my utmost cosplay respect.
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

I do it for the fun! There are a lot of female characters I love and their costumes are really interesting. But I don't think there's any trend going on. MtF crossplay is still on the rare side at the cons I've been to.
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #18
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Because dresses are too damn awesome not to wear.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
ArcaneSpringbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Like.
Corset: Complete!
Hoop skirt: Complete!
Chemise/Bloomers: Almost done!
Petticoat (if needed): Not started.
Gown skirt: Not started.
Gown bodice: Not started.
Makeup: Practicing!
Wig: Acquired, working on it.
Accessories: Gloves (acquired), Jewelry (not acquired), Shoes (not acquired), Elf ears (not acquired)
Lolita Doll
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Quote:
Truth!

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
chrono4281
Chrno

Crossplaying is fun. I enjoy it, to be a character you respect is awesome to me. Though I take it seriously and try to pass for female and it has worked for me.
chrono4281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
KillerWhaleCake
puripuripuripuripuri

Lots of people do it for how much they like the costumes. And in most anime I know, the cosplay for females is a lot more intricate and decorated than the cosplay for males. So, from a design standpoint, it makes sense that MtF crossplay would be popular. C:

Anime Boston 2014
Day 0: Marui Bunta (The Prince of Tennis)
Day 1: Tracey Sketchit (Pokémon), Kaidoh Kaoru (The Prince of Tennis)
Day 2: Shuusei Kagari (Psycho-Pass)
Day 3: Gary Oak (Pokemon)
KillerWhaleCake is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
Azuraschampion
Searching for Asuna

Quote:
Yes. This.
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

In my case I do it not as cross-play but to be the person i was meant to be. As transgender the notion of conventions and other events allows me to finally build the confidence to be me without the nay say of society. I think I finally pass too

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
SirSlarty
Seizon Senryakuuuuuuuuuuu

Because it's fun.
Because I'll never get to wear these kinds of clothes besides at a convention.
Because skirts and dresses are much more comfortable to wear than pants. Especially in the hot weather. (It was 105F at Otakon last year!)
Because when people recognize the character, I feel good about it. (Generally more of a reason for cosplay.)
Because I like the attention. (Incidentally, I've never been heckled while in crossplay but I have been heckled while dressed as a male!)

"Excuse me, can I get your picture?"
*deep voice* "Sure!"
"WHOA YOU'RE A GUY?! I HAD NO IDEA."

That always makes me smile.
SirSlarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Ironman7317

Honestly, I do it so I can better flirt with men and women. I mean really it's quite fantastic when cross playing a girl and you realise you're actually a girl for a day. And you can go up to just about anybody and flirt with them.

Last edited by Ironman7317 : 05-30-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Ironman7317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
kougaku

I would say my reasons are because I like the clothes better, because peoples reactions are great, its interesting, and because I like the characters, oh and I also believe it helps promote gender equality, I mean how are you going to treat the genders differently if you can't tell them apart. Although I'm pretty sure I can't pass yet.
kougaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #28
Diegator
User of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
"Excuse me, can I get your picture?"
*deep voice* "Sure!"
"WHOA YOU'RE A GUY?! I HAD NO IDEA."

That always makes me smile.
This right here
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #29
KillerWhaleCake
puripuripuripuripuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegator View Post
This right here
That's why I crossplay as men, haha~ Those are just the best moments for me too xD!

Anime Boston 2014
Day 0: Marui Bunta (The Prince of Tennis)
Day 1: Tracey Sketchit (Pokémon), Kaidoh Kaoru (The Prince of Tennis)
Day 2: Shuusei Kagari (Psycho-Pass)
Day 3: Gary Oak (Pokemon)
KillerWhaleCake is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
ShimaGenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Guys have been dressing up "like girls" for literally thousands of years for a whole ton of reasons. Historically some might have been transsexual, some might have been gay - it's hard to say since things weren't how we think of things today. Some have done it for sexual gratification.

In modern times it can be any of those things or completely different reasons. Because it's fun, because it's not something the person gets to do often, because it's different, because it's a challenge - whatever.

It doesn't have to relate to gender identity or sexuality. I'm sure it would blow some people's minds but heterosexual men can and do wear "women's" clothing for a variety of reasons from time to time.

This isn't a trend or anything new - and if anything it's been a more visible "hobby" for longer than girls dressing up as guys has been - not that that is anything new, either but drag queens and such certainly have had a stronger presence than drag kings over the years. There are so many reasons and ideas I could go into but there isn't room or time.

Also, it's not really common or accepted for women to really dress like men in "real life". Men's items have crossed over into women's clothing but just because an item is a "suit" for example doesn't mean it's the same thing for both sexes. Women's suits are highly gendered, still. A woman who actually dresses like a man, in actual men's clothing is likely to face derision and not be accepted in a "professional" atmosphere unless they are actually accepting of gender presentation that falls outside the norm. Look up examples of "women's business suits" and see how they match up to "men's business suits" - and count how many are wearing a tie (I found exactly one in all the images in my search - and it was part of a uniform that was paired with a skirt and curvy jacket for women). Mostly there is no neckwear at all, and if it is it's very effeminate - something that a man would be derided for wearing with a business suit just like a woman would be if she was wearing the styles he would be accepted to wear.
Yes, exactly.

I can't blame her for the question... I'm sure it's out of curiosity. In society in a general sense, it's become more acceptable for women to wear ~some~ men's clothing (pants, sometimes ties, etc.) but generally clothes are divided into two categories rather than people wearing whatever they want to wear.

But when you really think it, what does it matter if a man wears a skirt in every day wear? It doesn't, really. But we're trained to think, "that's weird/wrong," and automatically assume it so.

I think in terms of cosplay, I think it's easier for girls to crossplay as men because girls can appear to be men with feminine faces--females with masculine faces aren't as accepted. But when you really think with some hardcore logic, it makes no difference. We're just trained to think it's strange when you think about it.
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote