Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Shinigami Desu~
Registered User
 
Shinigami Desu~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27
Head Piece Help?

Hello there! I was interested in possibly doing a Madame Vastra cosplay and wanted to know how to best go about sculpting a headpiece. For the face part I was going to use makeup and maybe a little of that face sculpting stuff for sculpting, but the headpiece cannot be done with makeup. If you have any suggestions for materials or even helpful tutorials, that would be awesome

picture of Madame Vastra: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v55SrN5feh...ecial-2012.jpg
__________________
Youmacon 2014:

-Sailor Uranus

Anime North 2015 (Tentative):
-Fem!Vav: Rooster Teeth
-Arystar Krory: D.Gray-Man
Shinigami Desu~ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
It really depends on your budget and expectations.

The whole thing IS a "makeup" piece - it's 3D makeup, probably multiple appliances to allow for movement better than if it was one. You'd have to lifecast your face then sculpt it on your face-sculpture and then take the clay pieces and use them to make ones out of latex - then paint them. It's actually not that hard, I don't think it's any harder than anything else you'd be doing - but it's about budget, skills you have and feel comfortable trying, and your expectations.

You could probably do fairly well with a craft foam head piece so long as you incorporate scales that go onto the face - such as doing that bit on the forehead, the ones across the cheek bone and the circular one near the jaw - you'd want to sand the edges of the craft foam so it would blend well as well as sanding it for the shape (so it would stay flexible instead of putting something inflexible on it to build up the shape). You could start with a cap and expanding foam base or do it all out of craft foam.

I don't think that's really that much easier than casting your face (recruit someone to help !) and in both cases you have the basically shape and sculpt material - and you can always re-do clay on the face sculpture and learn easily that way from mistakes.

There are good guides for that on-line and whole books on the topic.

But it's up to you - if you have any skill or budget requirements it will help us to give advice that fits with what you are expecting to pay, do, and achieve.
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Shinigami Desu~
Registered User
 
Shinigami Desu~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
It really depends on your budget and expectations.

The whole thing IS a "makeup" piece - it's 3D makeup, probably multiple appliances to allow for movement better than if it was one. You'd have to lifecast your face then sculpt it on your face-sculpture and then take the clay pieces and use them to make ones out of latex - then paint them. It's actually not that hard, I don't think it's any harder than anything else you'd be doing - but it's about budget, skills you have and feel comfortable trying, and your expectations.

You could probably do fairly well with a craft foam head piece so long as you incorporate scales that go onto the face - such as doing that bit on the forehead, the ones across the cheek bone and the circular one near the jaw - you'd want to sand the edges of the craft foam so it would blend well as well as sanding it for the shape (so it would stay flexible instead of putting something inflexible on it to build up the shape). You could start with a cap and expanding foam base or do it all out of craft foam.

I don't think that's really that much easier than casting your face (recruit someone to help !) and in both cases you have the basically shape and sculpt material - and you can always re-do clay on the face sculpture and learn easily that way from mistakes.

There are good guides for that on-line and whole books on the topic.

But it's up to you - if you have any skill or budget requirements it will help us to give advice that fits with what you are expecting to pay, do, and achieve.

thank you for the help

I am really new at this, but as long as it's straight forward I can most likely do it with a little help. As for budget I know masks can be expensive, so in the 50 dollar range?
__________________
Youmacon 2014:

-Sailor Uranus

Anime North 2015 (Tentative):
-Fem!Vav: Rooster Teeth
-Arystar Krory: D.Gray-Man
Shinigami Desu~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
I'm not sure what the final cost would be - I would guess you might be able to do it for under $150 start to finish if you bought supplies not in a "kit". Unfortunately mass-produced masks have the benefit of only needed to be produced and sculpted once and then made a whole bunch of times - so the cost is distributed across hundreds or thousands or more items !

I would just look into what you need to do and use a spreadsheet to keep track of cost - that's what I do. XD

If you're finding something is out of your budget check out other options. There might be a pre-made latex mask for a random "lizard person" that you could cut apart and use parts of, for example. If you have to, you could just do a "hat" and then do makeup for the rest - perhaps building scales up with liquid latex by hand - the thing I see as a major downside is the fact that it would take a LONG time to apply and you'd have to do it every time ! To me, it's more worth it to invest in something I won't have to bother with preparing every time, but if your budget is constraining then you have to do what you have to do !
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,870
Quote:
I am really new at this, but as long as it's straight forward I can most likely do it with a little help. As for budget I know masks can be expensive, so in the 50 dollar range?
Go watch a couple episodes of Face/Off before buying anything, then decide if this is a project you are ready to take on.
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations
 
ViolentEvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 87
FX artist here. If you want to make a "mask", where there are is no mouth movement, and things of that nature. The materials would run around 150$ min before casting materials/paint/clay etc. This includes the full head life casting materials, life cast casting materials, and 2 piece molding materials.

makeup appliances would be probobly around 200 before before casting materials/paintclay/ etc. That is full head life cast materials, lifecast casting materials, 1 2 peice mold materials, and 1 1 peice mold materials.
__________________
Etsy store -www.etsy.com/shop/violentevolutionfx

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Go watch a couple episodes of Face/Off before buying anything, then decide if this is a project you are ready to take on.
I dunno, I've watched that show with my mom and although sometimes the end results are cool they focus much more on the human "drama" than actually making things and how they are made.

There are good books and probably YouTube videos that break it down. I don't think it's any harder than sewing.

But it is expensive. It really depends on what you want to get out of your efforts. It's okay to be limited by budget - you can still make something recognisable even if it's not TV ready.
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,870
I reference Face Off because it shows individuals and sometimes teams spending 18 hours+ on a single make up, and detailed or not, the various steps and each steps potential complications. And they are working in a spacious lab designed and stocked for doing that kind of work. Trying it at home in your own kitchen with food, other people, pets and all the other complications of ordinary life will expand the time requirements by a lot.
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Shinigami Desu~
Registered User
 
Shinigami Desu~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27
Thank you are for the help, I really appreciate. Being young and a beginner, I don't think a pull mask would be possible, but I thank you for the advice that was given on it. This was more of a what-if scenario, since I have a lot of cosplays I want to do on my plate anyone. If I did it I would probably just do a little head piece and makeup on the rest. (a little face stuff for texture and some green makeup wouldn't be so bad) I originally created this thread because I wanted to know what to make a head piece out of and how to go about it, actually. Again, thanks for the help
__________________
Youmacon 2014:

-Sailor Uranus

Anime North 2015 (Tentative):
-Fem!Vav: Rooster Teeth
-Arystar Krory: D.Gray-Man
Shinigami Desu~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.