Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
jsispitz
Hope you brought vodka.

Low hairline/odd head shape troubles.

So here's my problem, I have an extremely low hairline in the front and back of my head and a slightly odd head shape. My forehead at its largest point is only about 1.5 inches and my head slops back at that point so wearing anything as simple as a hat is difficult because gravity usually kicks in and everything pops off unless I pull whatever I'm wearing down to my eyebrows.

I'm planning on a cosplay that will thankfully cover my tiny forehead with long bangs but I'm concerned about the possibility of wearing a wig cap (because it will likely pop off even with pinning) and that if I can't manage to get one on my wig will slip and fall off anyways because of the weight (since I'm supposed to have to do some add-ons near the back that will probably make it heavier).

I've tried poking around to see if there are any alternative methods or advice, but I fear that I may have something that can't be worked around simply because of gravity and genetics. Bleh.

Unread 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
navigated
Derp.

If you're worried about wig caps, perhaps you can braid your hair tightly and closely to your head, and pin the wig into your hair. So the wig will have something to grip and your hair will still be contained under the wig. As for keeping the wig on you can try using toupee clips on the inside edges of the cap so your wig will be snapped into place into your hair. Arda has this nice tutorial: http://ardawigs.ipage.com/OldSite/tu.../tutorial.html

In addition to clipping you can also use adhesives meant for lace front wigs to adhere your wig to your forehead. I've also heard of some people adhering it to the back so of their necks too. This trick is usually meant for lace wigs, but it works with wefted caps as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dv6sS7ZpyQ

navigated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Ilafatyu
That guy

My hairline in the back goes more than halfway down my neck. I usually get it shaved before going to a convention where I wear a short wig. For the front, to keep the wig/cap from popping off, have you considered french braiding along the front of your hair? If you pin into that, I don't think it'll go anywhere.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote