Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
sandra03

Road Kamelot - umbrella help

Hi guys, I'm doing Road from D. Grey Man for Otakon, and I want to have the umbrella. But I'm flying in to Baltimore and don't know if a golf size umbrella will fit into my luggage, and I'm not sure they'll allow it in my carryon.

I'm wondering if anyone's had any luck with making something to look like the umbrella but without the inner parts that can be taken apart to fit into a suitcase and will still stay upright when put together.
I thought about just grabbing any cheap umbrella I can find with the curved handle and taking it apart and just using a cheap dollar store pink shower curtain for the fabric. I'm just not sure how to fit it together and what materials I can use that won't look weird in my luggage when I go through security lol. (like carrying pieces of pvc pipe in my bags might look funny... I'd rather not go through any hassle at the airport security or at the border)

any tips or links or anything would be great ^_^
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Penlowe

I'd probably make a beautiful prop, then pack it in a mailing tube to carry on, while running the risk of the extra fee if they make you check it instead. Long skinny containers like mailing tubes are more likely to be allowed on the plane as they are required to have storage space for walkers and canes

Go by your local large chain craft store frame shop, ask if they have or can save you a cardboard tube from their paper rolls. These tubes are 36" long and about 3" in diameter, more than sufficient for packing a large umbrella in safely.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
sandra03

ah that's a good idea, except for the handle. it's supposed to be a big curved handle. assuming I can even find one like that, so that may not fit so well in a tube. There'll also be a plush pumpkin attached to the other end which might cause an issue too. but I'll keep it in mind for sure! thanks
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

My Rero umbrella was over 3" for the handle size you can also look for larger tube to make them fit as I've seen 5" wide ones for shipping as well. Aslo try up art stores and office supplise stores as they can also carry items.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Mailing-Sto...5_2-CA_1_20001

I transport Rero I bought the base umbrella in which was a long thin box.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Zil

If you can't find a pre-made shipping/art tube go to a local carpet store. The carpet comes on big cardboard tubes and they'll give them to you for free. The place by me actually trimmed mine to the sizes I wanted too
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
sandra03

cool I'll keep that in mind too. thanks