Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 05-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ponytail problem (Huge problem)

So, my old post is pretty deep in the forum and I'm sure no one will see if I post, so I'm starting this one.

I have this ponytail wig for my Kyoko Sakura cosplay. I asked before about making a ponytail thicker and such, and was recommended to just clip one clip on to another. It work like a charm actually, It's exactly the fullness and everything I want, but it's extremely heavy. It's the Jeannie from Arda, and it fit's on my head fine, and it even comes with one of those comb things sewn into it, but it doesn't hold it up..Obviously it's not strong enough, so I was wondering what the best course of action would be?

Here's a picture of it:
http://sailor-jeimi.deviantart.com/a...253A1368768402
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

I bought a Jeannie wig for my Ty Lee cosplay, and I had to sew toupee clips into it. I didn't even have the extra ponytail and it still liked to slip off! I sewed one into the front near my forehead and one into the back by the nape of my neck. It definitely helped hold it on. You can get toupee clips from beauty stores (I got mine from Salley's) or the internet!

You may consider doing 2 or 3 clips in the front for extra support, but I think it just depends. I'm just speculating, but more clips may help distribute the weight a little more.
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I use larger toupee clips anyway as most of wig will just slid of my head (front the hairline).

For my Kongiku I use four of them, two at the side burns and two on top to keep that heavy wig in place and a large comb at the nape of the neck. It so heavy it was giving me a neck ache so I rested my head against a wall while sitting. lol

The ones Arda put in are medium size which I like to use for short wig only.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ah ok I didn't know how much good those would do since this wig is the only one I will need them for so far. Thanks, I'll get some today then and post my results
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I must be doing this wrong..I got the biggest ones that they have at Sallys, and I put 2 in the front, pluss the comb thing it already has, and its actually ripping my hair out..so those did literally nothing. The wig still will not stay on my head..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
why_00
Emileigh

My suggestion would be to either buy larger ones online or pretty much line the wig in those toupee clips. Also you might want to put the wig on your head without the ponytail clips in it, and then when you clip in the first one let it dig into your hair underneath for some more security. This works the best when you have your hair secured in braids around your head. I don't know how long your hair is, so i don't know how effective this would be for you.

Also, if you have enough hair to do the previous, you can also pin it down with hair pins if you learn how to use them properly.
Tumblr

Upcoming cosplays:
- Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Finished!
- Raven - Teen Titans - Finished!
- Dragon Kid - Tiger & Bunny - In progress - to be finished sometime next year
- Crysta - Ferngully - To be decided
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well, I don't know how much bigger they make them so I have no idea what's bigger..Also, I really can't afford to keep buying them..I have a crap ton of the ones I DO have..It was a 12pk..Anyway, I can try lining it with them..Also, I DO put it on that way already lol And my hair is pretty short. It's like, to the legth where it won't fit correctly under a wig cap..I don't like my hair extremely short, so I have to let it grow, meaning I have to bypass this stage in hair groth where it doesn't fit correctly
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Viveeh
necrocarnival

I don't really know if this will help as you have short hair, but braiding your hair under the wig cap, anchoring it in place with hairpins, and then using a net cap will keep any wig on without problems, with the help of combs sewn into it. Maybe you could backcomb and gel your hair or something similar?
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
I don't really know if this will help as you have short hair, but braiding your hair under the wig cap, anchoring it in place with hairpins, and then using a net cap will keep any wig on without problems, with the help of combs sewn into it. Maybe you could backcomb and gel your hair or something similar?
Nope. can't do that.It's too short to do that, but too long to gel up. I've tried the geling and stuff with a bunch of different methods and products. My hair is a little too thick and heavy to stay up that wau.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)