Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Chryso

vocal tones

This is just wistful musing but sometimes I really wish there was a way I could change my voice (easily, safely, reversibly, convincingly...) to pass for (in my case) male completely.
While I don't go out of my way to role play a character (unless I'm posing for a photo or on stage) I do like making my crossplays convincing - I really grin inwardly when someone confuses my gender. My voice instantly gives me away though. I've got a pretty low vocal tones when speaking, but the main time anyone's done a double take, or outright asked me what gender I really am, is when I open my mouth. My attempts to deepen my voice I fear sound like a kid trying to impersonate an adult (badly). So sometimes in order to pass I find I don't talk as much and therefore seem a bit closed off (even snobbish?) The sound of my girlish voice feels so out of place to me when I'm crossplaying. I'm trying very hard not to let it affect me, as I know very well it's all about having fun. But how amazing it would be to be able to get my voice right!

Run without rivals

Last edited by Chryso : 05-19-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

I get called "sir" over the phone. I don't have a particularly deep voice (although it's not super high, either...it's really gender-neutral) but I do think my way of talking might be part of it. Analyze how both genders tend to use words. For example, there was a study done a while back to examine the email/online correspondence tones of men and women, and they found that women tended to be less direct and used more emoticons. Probably because women are expected by society to be "peacemakers" and this bleeds over into most of everything they do.

It's "ok" when dudes are blunt, though, apparently.

If you can't do anything to change your pitch, tone and inflection still might help you.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Denmark
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Ilafatyu
That guy

I've heard that the difference between a male and female voice isn't in pitch, but tone. Try speaking more from your chest than your throat. My voice sounds girlygirlywhispery when I speak normally, but when I try to project from my chest, it sounds a little better.

Apparently the Boom Your Voice thing works, but I haven't tried it.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
MagicalStar
Just a tiny magical star

I personally wish mine goes the other way, so I can definitely sympathize with you here @_@.
Maybe I'll practice on it once I get a place by myself, or something.
MagicalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Sokmunki
Snow Guardian

I've just practiced sounding more masculine :P but some guys, like Tsuna, don't really have low voices... It's more of what you say, and how you say it

Complete:

Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th and 10th doctors
Amy Pond
Merida
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Sokmunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I have fully convinced people into thinking I am a guy even when I am talking (of course I talk in character as Captain Jack Sparrow though), so I am not sure if that is what you mean? Do you want to lower your voice so you can talk in character or just in general do you want your voice to be able to pass for a general guy's voice?

For imitating a male character's voice, what helped me was repeatedly listening to whoever's voice I want to replicate, and then saying lines along with that original recording. Then, I would eventually try to say stuff outside of the existing script. For me it really just took a lot of practice. I don't really know of any actual techniques for altering your voice. I kinda just went with the trial and error strategy. lol

Fun fact: I can switch from LYKOMG Valley Girl type voice to Captain Jack Sparrow really easily. It actually freaks my friends out sometimes.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Emrys

I remember reading an article about how inflection and word use/speech patterns can influence gender perception. Also something about how you stress your vowels can be an influence.

Tangent:
And it's something I've noticed a lot when people learn foreign languages, specifically Japanese, but I think that's also because Japanese has more gendered speech patterns. One of my guy friends spent time in Japan and his fiance is Japanese - she always teases him that he talks like a girl when he speaks, mainly because he picked up on her speech patterns when he was learning. And I've been told I talk like a guy when I speak Japanese, though I think that I just lack exposure to the girly speech patterns and talk like a textbook.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I wish HRT would change my voice more feminine. it works on FtM their voice gets deeper but not on MtF. All I can do is voice therapy. the operation is not safe and rarely works. So you could do what we do in voice therapy and listen to singers and other characters and try to adjust your voice to match somewhat.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote