Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 07-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
electro650

C.C. Code Geass Ballgown

Hi Everyone!
I am working on my latest costume, C.C.'s Ballgown from the Code Geass artbook. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, tips or critiques to help me along the way. This costume will be debuted at Otakon 2013. I still need to finish the bustier and sleeves, but I greatly appreciate any help you may give. Thank so much in advance!

Reference Image- http://polence.com/wp-content/upload...geass-ball.jpg

WIP Costume- http://www.cosplay.com/costume/458138/

Best
J.Hart
electro650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
emmisu
King of Toast

Wow, this is absolutely beautiful. I would give anything to wear something like that!

So basically, as a huge C.C. fan, I think you're doing great. The use of a cage for the skirt already puts you ahead of the game- and then the lace and beading ugh I love it.

The only kind of suggestions I could make would be tihngs outside of the source material... maybe throwing in hints of purple to mix up the color palette. (in the form of the corset ribbons or an under-layer of lace Just so it's easier for us to take in all the gorgeous details and also purple will really make her green hair stand out and contrast beautifully.
I know she has sleeves, I would consider making those sheer maybe, or adding some kind of accent trim on the more solid parts of the dress.

But that's purely a design element depending on personal taste.

Your dress is already flawless really, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt- I have no negative feedback for you at all. Just... takes my breath away haha

Great job I'm jelly.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
dchoi90

Unfortunately I am of no help, but it is simply amazing. Absolutely STUNNING. You have so much talent♡
dchoi90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
electro650

Thank you for all of your suggestions! It was greatly appreciated! <3 I added the finished product. It is currently in my C.C. gallery. I hope I did her justice!!!

Finished Costume-http://www.cosplay.com/costume/458138/

Also, If you would like to follow my progress for future projects, I finally made a Facebook Page for my costumes!

Facebook Page- https://www.facebook.com/JoshuaHartDesign
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

I remember seeing you! It came out very, very gorgeous! You should be proud of yourself.

Unread 08-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
CelCosplay
CelestineLocsin

whoa love it!
twitter.com/cellocsin
CelCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Harmonycloud

This is stunning!
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
electro650

Thank you so much, everyone!!! I had a lot of fun working on this project. Unfortunately, Otakon intentionally disqualified my entry into the Hall Costume Contest because I was deemed "too professional". It was quite discouraging and disheartening. I have spent over a month and a half, working daily, to produce this costume specifically for the contest. I did not find out this news until after the contest was over. The hall contest coordinator was rude, calling me a lier, a cheat, and I was told that it is time to hang up my crown. This has left a bitter taste in my mouth for the past month. Regardless, all of your comments have drastically made an impact on me, and I truly appreciate them!
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Ouroboros_Chan
Dreamgazer

You are extremely beautiful, and this costume is absolutely flawless. You should have entered the masquerade, not the hall contest, because this is above and beyond master level work. One thing I'm really curious about is how you hemmed the lower ruffle in this image: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3415405/
It looks completely hidden?

If you want to compete, you should bring a small binder with your progress shots, so no one can ever doubt that you made your own costume. Again, beautiful work. Keep it up

My cosplay Tumblr
Ouroboros_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
electro650

Thank you, Ouroboros!!! I always bring a binder of my progress photos and reference materials. Unfortunately, a "rumor" began that I make a majority of my living through cosplaying. I wish this was true, because that would be amazing! Otakon was upset because I have won Best in Show many years in a row; they purposely devised this plan to get rid of me, telling me it is time to hang up my crown.

Anyways, the bottom of the skirt is hemmed using the "bag" method. I cut the skirt panels twice, one face fabric, one lining. The lining and face were sewn together at the lower edge, right sides together, then edge stitched on the lining side to prevent the lining from showing. Edge stitching is top stitching through the lining and all seam allowances 1/16th of an inch away from the seamline. Once that seam is pressed nicely, I gathered the top edge of the skirt and lining together. The top of the skirt was sewn to the bottom of the bodice. Does that make sense? Hemming a skirt this way adds weight and drape to the skirt.

Ps. I love you Yuuko! <3
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Ouroboros_Chan
Dreamgazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro650 View Post
Thank you, Ouroboros!!! I always bring a binder of my progress photos and reference materials. Unfortunately, a "rumor" began that I make a majority of my living through cosplaying. I wish this was true, because that would be amazing! Otakon was upset because I have won Best in Show many years in a row; they purposely devised this plan to get rid of me, telling me it is time to hang up my crown.

Anyways, the bottom of the skirt is hemmed using the "bag" method. I cut the skirt panels twice, one face fabric, one lining. The lining and face were sewn together at the lower edge, right sides together, then edge stitched on the lining side to prevent the lining from showing. Edge stitching is top stitching through the lining and all seam allowances 1/16th of an inch away from the seamline. Once that seam is pressed nicely, I gathered the top edge of the skirt and lining together. The top of the skirt was sewn to the bottom of the bodice. Does that make sense? Hemming a skirt this way adds weight and drape to the skirt.

Ps. I love you Yuuko! <3
Yikes, I can't believe a con would do that to you, I'm sorry

And thank you so much! Yuuko is my pride and joy. I've never had any formal training in sewing/ design, so information like yours helps me immensely

My cosplay Tumblr
Ouroboros_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
BeccaDoll
The genius ninja

This is just absolutely beautiful! Well done

2014 Cosplays:
Vi (Original Skin) - League of Legends
Princess Daisy - Super Mario Brothers
Uzumaki Kushina-Naruto Shippuden
Hyuuga Hinata - Naruto Shippuden

Ankle Shatterer Cosplay, check it out