Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 05-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Whystler

Faery Fest's ENCHANTED GROUND: June 21-23 2013

Hey all you crazy wonderful cosplayers! Now is the time to start honing your foamy blades, polishing your armour, waxing your horns, fluffing your wings, sharpening your teeth, touching up your ears .. and you ... YES YOU ... that guy in the back ... would you PLEASE throw your medieval shirt in the wash this year? We would all appreciate it.

Yes, it's time to get ready for Faery Fest's Enchanted Ground, held this year in Guelph's Riverside Park on June 21/22/23. Lets pause for an official word about us:

"Faery Fest Inc. is a non profit organization dedicated to the promotion and celebration of Fantasy in the Arts. To this end, we create a yearly festival in Guelph to immerse over 3000 visitors in a land of fantasy with live jousting, more than 50 vendor and community booths, a tasty food court, fantasy inspired music and theatre on the stage and in our grassy streets, games like archery and catapult, and lots more (see below)."

Enchanted Ground is like an Olde Tyme Renaissance Faire *BUT* it's not about history. It's about FANTASY! It's about faeries, goblins, trolls, dragons, and all that great stuff from movies and novels and myths and tales that are shunned at the historical faires.

We have FIVE amazing costume contests that you will want to either participate in, or make sure you watch with camera in hand:

-Two daily costume contests at noon each day. These are "showcasing" contests. Everyone gets awards based on what fantasy elements are represented on your costume. Everyone's a winner in the afternoon contests.

-Evening costume contest for adults only on Saturday night during the Crystal Ball Masquerade and Dance.

-A horse costume contest Saturday morning. No no no ... not a contest for horse costumes. A contest for costumed horses! That's right, you will see magnificent beasts dressed in equine finery from across Ontario.

-A Pet Costume contest on Saturday. Bring your lovable pets to Faery Fest dressed like fantasy things - but only those who will mix well with other dogs, cats, lizards and what have you - oh yes and your pets must be children/people friendly.

-Are you a costume expert? Maybe you're attached to a business or an organization? You are welcome to peruse the fair and give your own awards to be presented at our closing show on Sunday and posted on our website and facebook. This is good promo for you *and* more good times for cosplayers. Contact us at info@faeryfest.com for more info.

EVENING EVENTS:

There will be a free opening night variety show on Friday Night, and our annual Crystal Ball Masquerade and Dance on Saturday night with live music and old dances called by a professional.

You'll also want to check out:

-The Troll's Feet Tavern for Bingo in the afternoon
-The life Sized Mystic Maze
-LARPing info and events
-Fantasy Author's Tent
-Costume and Fantasy Art Vendors
-Mud Dauber the Mud Artist Activity area
-Psychic readings
-The Uber Awesome Game Asylum Trailer
-Molly, Morris, and Middle Eastern fusion dance
-End of Day Auctions.

Hope to see you there! www.faeryfest.com

-Whystler (Shawn)

Last edited by Whystler : 05-21-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Whystler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yay! Going again this year! ...I just hope I can get my new costume finished on time. I'm wayyyyy behind on it (I'm making a dance-friendly "four elements" costume. Done up in the four colours, trimmed with silk leaves, feathers, tulle"fire" and "water", etc.).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Mmm. I might be going out of town that weakened for my Grandmas B-day again but if not it would give me an excuse to wear Merida. I can actually walk to this if I wanted to so long as it not too hot (velveeen....).

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Whystler

Shinobi: ohh cool! Four Elements!

Ani: awww, well enjoy you granmamas bday!

-Whystler
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Horse costume contest eh? Do tell me more.

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!
Dart:Dense Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

I will try and attend this year (possibly for one day). If I do manage to attend I will most likely bring my dark mage Yuna.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Whystler

Hey DartDenseboy,

A Lady by the name of Melissa Small is organizing the Horse and Pony events on Saturday. At 11:00 there will be some events that people with horses and ponies can join - things like Simon Says, A Flag Race, An Apple Race, an Egg on Spoon Race, Down& Back (with youth and adult categories, and appropriate ribbons for winning) ... there's quite a number of events there. And then later in the day there is a contest for horses in costume.

Are you a horse person?

-Whystler
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Whystler

Hey Question for you guys ...

We're already thinking ahead for 2014 (not this coming year). How do you think a special costume contest that was focussed on a very narrow theme go over? - in this case I'm thinking ENTS ... which would result in a forest (or grove) of ents...

-Whystler
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Whystler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
I will try and attend this year (possibly for one day). If I do manage to attend I will most likely bring my dark mage Yuna.
LIKES!
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whystler View Post
Hey DartDenseboy,

A Lady by the name of Melissa Small is organizing the Horse and Pony events on Saturday. At 11:00 there will be some events that people with horses and ponies can join - things like Simon Says, A Flag Race, An Apple Race, an Egg on Spoon Race, Down& Back (with youth and adult categories, and appropriate ribbons for winning) ... there's quite a number of events there. And then later in the day there is a contest for horses in costume.

Are you a horse person?

-Whystler
I AM a horse person :P I actually have 2 horses. (okay I have one and so does the hubby)

So I would actually be very interested. If I could get some contact

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!

Last edited by Dart:Dense Boy : 05-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Dart:Dense Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Whystler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart:Dense Boy View Post
I AM a horse person :P I actually have 2 horses. (okay I have one and so does the hubby)

So I would actually be very interested. If I could get some contact
Oh well then! Here is her email:

the_one_ring22 at yahoo dot ca

Melissa is doing a great job. If you check out the Faery Fest's Enchanted Ground group on facebook, she's posted some updates. She's got some pretty impressive trophies donated.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I HOPE I can get this costume done in time. The universe seems to be conspiring against me being able to do so. I'm about a quarter done (by now I'm usually done or almost done) and have less than three weeks, and one week of that's completely out for sewing.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
MDA
Destiny Productions

Sadly I don't think I can make it this year Funds is a big issue (since I don't have a job right now)

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Aww! It was so fun last year too to hang out with you and your friend (sorry, I forgot her name). I'd have to run it by my boyfriend and his folks, but if accommodation costs are a problem you could possibly stay with us at his house to cheapen things. We're about a half hour drive away from the event and he's down the street from a gorgeous conservation area with great photoshoot opportunities. And there's plenty of space for a third person, since they have a guest room and his big-ass room.
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

It's official, I'm a comin! I'll bring my little cousins with me, and my dark mage.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote