Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Animazement

Unread 05-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Animazement 2013: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on AZ 2013!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the guests, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AZ!

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
astralrayn

Some of the scheduling seemed wonky this year, I guess they were spreading out events to boost attendance different days but there are some major events like the AMV contest and Cosplay Chess that really should have been on Saturday, not Friday and Sunday. I also had a friend go through a lot of difficulty just trying to submit his AMV contest entry, I guess he waited a few weeks to hear back on if it would even be acceptable to submit and by that time he only had a few days. It would have been nice for him to have a faster turn-around in my opinion!

I also found out that all pro photographers were banned from the con and one of my friends, though he is not a professional photographer, he just has a nice DSLR was asked to leave and told he wasn't allowed back in because his camera looked too professional. That's the biggest freaking joke I've ever heard. One of the largest parts of a con is taking photos, kicking people out for having nice cameras is a great way to ensure they won't return, you shouldn't punish people for having a DSLR instead of a pocket cam. I'm a cosplayer and I have a DSLR.. If a guy wants to pay you $60 for a pass to walk around, spend money on your vendors, dealers, and artists, and take photos, that shouldn't be an issue. It's something to reconsider for future years.

As usual some of the staff was unclear on the rules. I was asked multiple times to check a tiny foam prop that did not need to be peace bound. I eventually just had them put a zip-tie on it so the staff would stop bothering me, though the staff member at the prop check confirmed I did not need it.

I loved the way they did the game rooms this year, I think the division was a smart thing to do and I don't remember the hours from last year exactly, but the late hours are great. It's a good thing to do late at night for those who don't wish to rave.

Whomever was running the mic in the dealers room (at least on Saturday) was awesome. "Marco and Polo have been dead for years, PLEASE STOP." Way to say what we're all thinking while putting a stop to the obnoxious screaming. I wanted to find the guy and shake his hand. Also, did you guys widen the aisles? I felt like they were wider and much more comfortable to navigate!

Also, I love that you guys didn't do the number thing for the cosplay skits. Granted, I wasn't able to attend because I was eating when I realized they'd begun, it was nice to know that I didn't have to go wait in line elsewhere to get a number to wait in line.

I don't think I'll be back next year though, the photographer thing really bugged me, knowing some of my friends can't enjoy the con now, and the schedule was a massive let-down. There is also another con I'd like to attend for the first time that occurs around the same time so that's a budget issue. I'll keep an eye on the con/feedback next year and possibly see you again in 2015.

Overall I still had fun. At the end of the day a con is a con and even with a few kinks in the machine it can still be a good time.
astralrayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Misha Aogail

My biggest issue was the fact the panelists for the Advanced Costuming panel never showed up. Full room waited for almost 15 minutes before staff came in and announced the panelists couldn't be contacted, didn't know if they would even show, and for us to just do a panel ourselves. While it was cool to hear how others did their cosplay, it was a HUGE let down.

There were some other panels and events I wanted to go to, but wonky scheduling made it very hard to do so.

Other than that, I enjoyed my time this year and plan on going next year.
Misha Aogail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
CitrusKnight

@astralrayn - i was following up on that whole issue with the DSLR thing on the Animazement group on Facebook and it actually turns out that some of the staff were just mis-informed and people actually were allowed to have DSLR cameras within the convention. I just feel bad for people who actually left the con before that was all cleared up.

Which really brings me to the fact that I had a major issue with the staff this year. I just feel like a lot of things were handled very rudely and although this isn't going to stop me from going to the convention, it's something that the AZ staff needs to work out and fix.
CitrusKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
astralrayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusKnight View Post
@astralrayn - i was following up on that whole issue with the DSLR thing on the Animazement group on Facebook and it actually turns out that some of the staff were just mis-informed and people actually were allowed to have DSLR cameras within the convention. I just feel bad for people who actually left the con before that was all cleared up.

Which really brings me to the fact that I had a major issue with the staff this year. I just feel like a lot of things were handled very rudely and although this isn't going to stop me from going to the convention, it's something that the AZ staff needs to work out and fix.
Then the staff really needs to get their stuff together. That goes back to my point of being bothered repeatedly for a small foam object that a staff member at the prop check confirmed I did NOT need peace bound. If your staff are booting people from the con for the wrong reasons maybe you should re-think your staffing and communication. And how is someone who has been booted from the con for having a DSLR supposed to know the issue has been cleared up when they're not allowed to enter the con where the staff are present? That situation was ridiculous, it's basic communication, it's not that hard. If a staff member is unsure they should ask another member instead of making people leave.
astralrayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
mentokjebus

- The old guy with the glasses and mustache manning the entrance on the right is a dick. He is the definition of rule Nazi.

- The other staff members were much more understanding and lenient this year (I am not a photog though, I bet they got screwed). It also helped a ton that the ziptie peace bonders were volunteers and not security this time around.

- The entry line situation was fantastic on Friday, but looked to be unreasonably bad on Saturday.

- Pre-reg for 2014 is very expensive compared to last year.

- Dealers room seemed to lack variety this year.

- Moving AMV contest to Friday, Karaoke contest to Saturday afternoon, and cosplay chess to Sunday was very strange.

- The Jacobals were great.
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

This was my first Animazement and for the most part I did enjoy it. There were, of course, highlights and lowlights.

Staff: For the most part I had no problems with them. I did find it very silly that they did not allow outside food/drink into the convention. They considered even drinks from the Starbucks at the Marriot that is the connecting hotel as 'outside' drinks. So needless to say, on one occassion I just chugged what I could and left what I couldn't finish over by the trash (which happened to be piled up with drinks from other attendees because of this rule). Then I came to find out it really depended on who was manning the entrance. Which leads to the next issue - staff not being on the same page. I heard of the camera incident, thankfully I personally did not experience this as I have a DSLR myself, with an external flash, multiple lenses, and battery unit which by their definition would be 'professional'.

Guests: What a lineup! AZ, you did well. Especially as a fan of old school, I was delighted at the guest list and had a wonderful time meeting some of them and went home with some fond memories and unforgettable experiences that helped make the trip out there well worth it.

Events: Events ran on time and were for the most part organized. However, it was a bit disappointing to come to find out only the first 100 in line were admitted into the DBZ signing on Sunday morning, though. I saw a lot of very disappointed faces and I was glad I had already gotten Masako Nozawa's on Friday and was only in line to get something else signed from her, but for other fans I can see that that may have been a really big letdown as it was not mentioned previously. Also, I was sad to see that the DIY Photobooth was not open - was this also a result of the banning of DSLR cameras, I wonder?

Food: An abundancy of food! Both in the area and in the facilities. And big thanks to the RCC for allowing dealers to sell snacks, so many convention centers ban it these days.

Costume Contest: Ran very smoothly. Received instructions prior to the event and the judges genuinely were interested in seeing the work. I like that entries are not required to walk on-stage, so it's less hassle, too! I would definitely compete here again.

Attendees: For the most part, well-mannered. I think the worst of it was the person who spilled beer on the floor of one of the elevators in the Marriot Saturday night, causing quite a hazard. I'm sure there are other stories out there, but that was my personal experience of unsavory behavior.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay

Last edited by Hime no Toki : 05-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Debitto_of_Bond
The Quaker Man

Quote:
- The old guy with the glasses and mustache manning the entrance on the right is a dick. He is the definition of rule Nazi.
That guy is STILL WORKING? If it's the same guy I'm thinking it is he was a real douche bag to me and my fiance last year. If you're even LEANING towards the wrong entrance the horse's ass bloody yells. I wanted to punch that rejected nazi right in the nose or between his eyes....

On topic: Over all, the con was excellent, only bad attendees I ran into was this hipster looking turd being a smarmy jerk with a couple of people and this one Star Trek Cosplayer wanting to be a ranting ass hat and that was all the low points. Highest point MOST DEFINATELY was encountering Ryusei Nakao in the hallway between the Marriot and the convention center

Otakon 2014:

Dandy! Space Dandy
Victor S. Court: Bravely Default
Beelzemon: Digimon Tamers
Mousse: Ranma 1/2
Schuldig: Weiss Kruez
TV's Frank: MST3K

AWA 2014:

Dandy: Space Dandy
Megabyte: ReBoot (HOPEFULLY!!! )
Schuldig: Weiss Kruez
The First Doctor: Doctor Who
Victor S. Court: Bravely Default

Last edited by Debitto_of_Bond : 06-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Debitto_of_Bond is offline   Reply With Quote