Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Mekou
Meow~

I was going to say that my only real complaint about the con this year was that the panels didn't seem as well organized as they usually are (at least from my POV). Though I guess in retrospect I wish that was something that was disclosed to panelists at some point? x_X Poor guy.

But overall I had an amazing time at AN this year. Definitely one of the best for me personally!

I don't know what changed, but somehow even at the busiest points I didn't feel overwhelmed by the crowds in the Dealer's room. It was packed but I could actually move around!

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
magnum-desu

My only real complaint about staff is a bit personal. We were rooming beside staff in the Rad, and our rooms had a connecting door. This allowed so much noise in from them, since it's got no insulation from sound. They were extremely loud until around 2-3am, and they seemed to think the connecting door was fascinating and knocked on it all the time. And then they yelled at random people walking by in the hallway for being loud (and they'd play the staff card, yelling things like "We're staff, we need to sleep for tomorrow"), but of course, their behaviour wrt our room was totally fine because lol attendees don't need to sleep... :/ Rad staff was great though, we kept getting to the elevators when staff was using the staff elevator on our floor and they'd let us come along.

I really wanted to go to the Nomi, but was told it was capped and turned away. It'd be cool if it was a daily thing, and you could get a table for Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Maybe they could be sold in four hour blocks?

The new passes were great. A real step up from the ones we had the past few years. I like how the lanyard doesn't keep tangling like the string on the old one would and how it's much harder for them to get pulled around by the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekou View Post
I don't know what changed, but somehow even at the busiest points I didn't feel overwhelmed by the crowds in the Dealer's room. It was packed but I could actually move around!
The only time it got awful when I was there was when they let the daleks in. They moved really slowly and attracted a huge crowd that would completely prevent you from moving if you were within 4-6 tables of them. Considering how staff was clearing people away from standing/taking pics in high traffic areas, I think they shouldn't have let the daleks in the dealer's room (and artist's alley, if they also went there). Overall, the DR was way less crowded than last year and that was great.
magnum-desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
CocoMaki
Rampaging Lurker

Hmmm... I didn't attend and panels or major events (only both the 404s) this year, so I don't have anything to say about stuff like that. It was nice that they had an official water station set up this time, but it was also bad in a sense because they had less of them than last year. My only complain about dealers would be the lack of plushie vendors and new merchandise. The number of vendors selling plushies this year was very limited compare to last year, and the stuff they had in stock was basically the same from last year as well. Wish they had more of the newer stuff >:

One thing that I really did enjoy was the crunchyroll live stream xD My group chanced upon it on Saturday night (we didn't notice it until then because there was always a huge crowd around it). It was really funny interacting with the commenters. My favorite moment would be when I was covered by other people except for my arm, and then people were commenting "Kirito's Arm!" xD

Overall it was really fun, and I'm definitely not breaking my annual Anime North attendance :3
CocoMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekou View Post
I was going to say that my only real complaint about the con this year was that the panels didn't seem as well organized as they usually are (at least from my POV). Though I guess in retrospect I wish that was something that was disclosed to panelists at some point? x_X Poor guy.

But overall I had an amazing time at AN this year. Definitely one of the best for me personally!

I know! I only found out at the con what happened. T-T

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 05-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Got a big list this year:
Pros-
-MUCH smoother pre-reg lineup this year (and boyfriend and I kept joking that we were in a digestive system with the way it was lined up- little loops of small intestine and the big line wrapping into the doors for the large. Lol, we're immature)
-Our hotel room had an AWESOME view (overlooking the front of the tcc, so we could watch everything from our room)
-Despite me having cons to list with the doubletree hotel, the staff there were very nice this year.
-No security guy for the dT elevators! Omg that was nice to not have to keep pulling out my card key. I was up and dowwn a lot.
-The fantastic amount of attention I got in my Quorra cosplay Friday and Saturday nights. Really wasn't expecting it to be THAT big a hit.
-LOVE the new badges. Finally something sturdy and not on little tangly strings.
-Got a fridge included in our room! That made foodstuffs much easier to manage.
-Lots of great photoshoots this year! I feel a bit bad for missing one I said I'd be at, but I was late to bed and sooo tired.
-No sunburn! But that ties in with a major, major con.
-Kind of a con as well as a pro- but, upon checking in my card wouldn't work, and we found out our showerhead was leaking badly. Both were fixed very quick and that was a big plus.
-Bought a Rainbow Dash wig, exactly what I was looking for, for a mere $30 compared to the usual prices I see for them.

Cons:
-THE FUCKING WEATHER. I was shivering nonstop all weekend! I had to wear a sweater and scarf with Twilight Sparkle and I was still freezing. And in Quorra I got sticky and hot due to the leather, followed by rapidly freezing as soon as I stepped outside or stopped moving around. And the entrance to the dT is a freaking wind tunnel. It really sucked a lot of the fun out for me because I was so miserably cold all weekend and didn't want to go outside.

-on Sunday night, with merely an hour's warning in the form of a small sign on the elevators, the DOUBLETREE DID A SCHEDULED POWER OUTAGE. It wrecked our Sunday night jacuzzi/pool trip, made me unable to pack the night before and I had to rush in the morning, and we got no form of reimbursement for it either (power was out from 10 at night to 5 am). We ended up putting on all the glowy things we'd bought, the headlamp we for some reason brought, and our ipad screen and having a blackout party of sorts in another friend's room. Didn't ruin the party but it seriously sucked to have no lights or power. Especially since it went out while we were in the pool.
- Sushi dragon's service was terrible this year, even taking the con in mind we're not eating there again if it's a Friday or Saturday. They took so long to get our food that we had to cancel on it and thus didn't have a proper dinner, took way too long to just get tea to drink, and they've screwed up our order every single year we've been there.
-Couldn't find any of the contacts I was hoping for in prescription/powered. I like buying them at cons because I can see them in person and save a bit on the shipping costs. And when I'm using my convention speending money it's not REALLY any more money out of my pocket.
-Because I had a lot of costume changes and it was so damn cold, I feel like I really didn't do much this year besides walk around and have photos taken and shop. I'm not a big panels person but I usually go to five or six over the weekend...I went to one. Was going to go to three but I missed the other two due to taking too long in the dealer's room or dinner being a long wait.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 05-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
Grimmjow99

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_H_Sakura5 View Post
Pros:

-The Dealers Room Closing at 8 on Saturday. I found it hard to get in there in Cosplay as I found on Friday when we went at 5, so finding the time to do everything I wanted, switch out of Cosplay and then have time to browse the Comic Market and Dealers Room was difficult.
yeah i think that at least for Saturday the dealers room should be open late because it is the busiest day and during the day people might have photoshoots or panels that they would like to go to first/ or hosting or even those that line up 2hrs for masquarade and then it starts later than it should=ending later than it should, 8pm doesn't really seem like an ideal time to close up shop in the dealers room. I think it should be opened later to accomodate for that (and I don't mean as late as 2am or some crazy time probably 10pm or so)
Grimmjow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Got a big list this year:
-on Sunday night, with merely an hour's warning in the form of a small sign on the elevators, the DOUBLETREE DID A SCHEDULED POWER OUTAGE. It wrecked our Sunday night jacuzzi/pool trip, made me unable to pack the night before and I had to rush in the morning, and we got no form of reimbursement for it either (power was out from 10 at night to 5 am). We ended up putting on all the glowy things we'd bought, the headlamp we for some reason brought, and our ipad screen and having a blackout party of sorts in another friend's room. Didn't ruin the party but it seriously sucked to have no lights or power. Especially since it went out while we were in the pool.
You should contact the hotel and get a discount for the night. I left last night and they are not charging me for the room. I think they saw how pissed I was and decided not to mess with under-feed, over-walked and no sleep me. haha

The worst part was I couldn't get out of the parking lot because the gates are computerized. I had to pop the curb which is bad for my tires/car. I was not impressed at all with the doubletree.
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I know! I only found out at the con what happened.
Yeah, two broken limbs can put a damper on things.

On the plus side, the League panel got a huge room this year (Plaza C) and we filled it, and then some!

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
Chibi Lenne
Ghoulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum-desu View Post
My only real complaint about staff is a bit personal. We were rooming beside staff in the Rad, and our rooms had a connecting door. This allowed so much noise in from them, since it's got no insulation from sound. They were extremely loud until around 2-3am, and they seemed to think the connecting door was fascinating and knocked on it all the time. And then they yelled at random people walking by in the hallway for being loud (and they'd play the staff card, yelling things like "We're staff, we need to sleep for tomorrow"), but of course, their behaviour wrt our room was totally fine because lol attendees don't need to sleep... :/ Rad staff was great though, we kept getting to the elevators when staff was using the staff elevator on our floor and they'd let us come along.
Trust me I know the feels. We had staffers beside us to, (I'm also staff at the convention) and they were so loud at points I thought they either must have their door open or were out in the hallway. I know hindsight is 20/20 but next time just call down to the front desk as many times as you need to. Just because they're staff they have no right to break hotel rules :S
Personally at conventions I like my sleep

2013 Cosplay Plans
Queen Elsa / Coronation Elsa / La Carlotta / Miss Frizzle / Vocaloid... thing
Follow me on Facebook for more updates
Costume Con 35 Will be RETURNING to Toronto 2017!!
Chibi Lenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

Pros: people who were giving tickets were very helpful
attendees are friendly
photoshoots were well organized
artist alley was good
line inside dealers room ran smoothly
lines in food places were a bit better too
Seemed to be more room around the con in general

The only thing I think I didnt like is the weather but that cant be helped

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #26
N_H_Sakura5
DigiDestined

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
PROs

Ordering PizzaHut to out room! Thank you to who ever ordered pizza on Saturday because you gave us the best idea EVER!!!

If this was at the Radission then it was probably someone in my group lol.
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Lenne View Post
Trust me I know the feels. We had staffers beside us to, (I'm also staff at the convention) and they were so loud at points I thought they either must have their door open or were out in the hallway. I know hindsight is 20/20 but next time just call down to the front desk as many times as you need to. Just because they're staff they have no right to break hotel rules :S
Personally at conventions I like my sleep
If staff aren't passing out at midnight like me, they aren't working hard enough! lol!

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
C.U.

Quote:
The cold snap killed me on Thursday as well when I was traveling to Waterloo. >_<

Pros:
-Weather! Not bad really.
-Crowds where manageable all over due to extra space
-Meeting new people! and seeing old friends.
-I was surprised to have won in the Artisan Category for Best Recreation for Venus. I was nervous about submitting her into the masquerade was she more modern style of costume and a lot of thinks I was nitpicking I was praised for. O__o .... God that wig!!!
-Gravely (our MC) commenting to me that I'm a chameleon of a cosplayer in the green room made my day.

Cons:
-I was a few man down on the Cosplay Makeup (only 2 out of 5 showed up lol) and Cosplay wig panels this year.
-Radisson gave us a room with a clogged kitchenette sink. (never got fixed but after two days someone finally drained it.) >_<
- Masquerade starting. it usually does but it was also because everything before the
Masquerade started late in the room.
- The cold snap killed me on Thursday as well when I was traveling to Waterloo. >_<
- Bit of confuse on when to move people.
- Sailormoon photoshoot on Sunday was over lapped wit the the voice actor signing at 3pm. Soooo... the shoot was rather thin on people. >_<
- Got burned on Friday just one my. came home witht a beat read face (do clashed with the green stained skin)

Just to clear up what was happening with the panels is that Finger's got into two accidents and as MIA for a month+. Sadly no one else picked up trying to do the panel scheduling at that time so things got very rushed at the end.

They will be posting the full rewards list soon but this is not the first time were a certain segment of the categories where higher then others. They do give out strange awards to people they feel deserve them outside of the normal awards categories but that is sometimes how it goes then you all competing for the same awards an they never know still the Saturday how many people they are going to get. Novice was also the same way as well for years just for the density of them and I get the feeling that the bulk of journeyman where in the novice group for a few years.

Now then I'm in the Master Category I probably won't see an award for many years to come. lol

Generally I had a good time despite being miserable in those Venus shoes, the costume is still my one of my most comfortable ones otherwise.
I must say, I'm not a fan of monster high, but you had an amazing costume and I loved it. can't wait to check out those wig tutorials on youtube.
C.U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Gravely (our MC) commenting to me that I'm a chameleon of a cosplayer in the green room made my day.
You really are, I totally didn't recognize you and then when he announced you onstage I'm like 'durrrrr that was her?'

I was also running on 2 weeks of not enough sleep, so that might be it too. LOL

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

First, on behalf of Anime North, let me apologize for the cold weather. We at command central are absolutely certain that on all accounts we ordered temperate and sunny weather for the whole weekend. We are not sure why cold and partly sunny weather was delivered instead. Investigations are ongoing. Sorry for the inconvenience. ^_~ (j/k)

(On a personal note I hear those of you who got a sun burn! I got a sunburn from just the short spurts of times I was out in front of the TCC and Doubletree giving out Hall Cosplay Awards. OW!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukune View Post
I was really upset with how the masquerade was done this year not only was their miscommunication between the staff that caused there to not be enough seating
Totally untrue. There was no miscommunication between AN staff that caused a lack of seating. The hotel simply decided to inform us that they were not able to provide the usual amount of seating during the turn over right before the masquerade. (This was me on Saturday when I was informed of such by the masquerade directors) --->

We have traditionally counted seating on the day the main room is set up and allocated wristbands based on the number of chairs we set theatre style, (this is usually around 1200 based on the total available room for chairs minus a number for media, guest, and access/wheelchair seating).

This year our room was divided as to allow the plaza C to function as a panel room part time, (and yes more panels rooms are desperately needed). Chairs were removed when the room was reset, but when the room was later reset, the hotel apparently was not able to a) return those chairs b) provide us with additional chairs to fill the room as we normally do.

Despite repeated attempts they declined to bring more chairs, saying both, "it's a busy weekend", and that several chairs had been broken over the past year and there weren't any more.

Ultimately with only 600 chairs, nobody was unhappier with this situation than the masquerade staff many of which worked frantically to "borrow" chairs from less full rooms around the hotel so as many attendees as possible could be seated.

I apologize that this made you wait much longer in line than usual. Please believe that the Directors and staff scrambled to try to get as many people as possible in to watch the show and we're sorry to anyone who was turned away.

Hopefully we will be able to follow up with the hotel and perhaps modify proceedures to try and avoid any situation like this happening in the future, otherwise we may have to institute a "bring your own chair policy" next year. (Just Kidding!).

Quote:
but the award process this year was very unfair to the Journeyman Division.
As I recall during the award ceremony the novice division won 6 awards, the artisan 5 and the master 4 while the journeyman's only received one award and the award itself made little sense.
Sorry, that is completely untrue. There were 11 awards in the Journeyman Division.

Quote:
There were a lot of Journeyman's there this year with amazing costumes that deserved recognition

There were many contestants with amazing costumes in ALL the divisions. It was a very fierce masquerade this year. Everyone should be proud. People told me all weekend that they thought the contestants and the masquerade was amazing.

Quote:
I had quite a few friends in the masquerade in all division that had astounding costumes that did not win anything while others did that I had to question.
Questioning is well within your right. However without you yourself having inspected every costume perhaps the judges saw something you did not? I myself do not always agree with what judges choose at masquerades, but such is the nature of being an audience member.

Additionally this is why there is a panel of judges and they are made up of a mixture of different people each year, so things are being seen with a mix of various opinions, expertise and fresh eyes.

Quote:
I found the judgment this year was very unfair

You are perfectly within your right to say you do no agree with the judges choices, or what the judges choose to award or passed over did not make you happy. Please however do not infer that the judging was "unfair". That infers that it was somehow dishonest or that the judges lacked ethics when deliberating on the winners. The judges deliberate very seriously about the results and take great care.

Quote:
While I've never been to the AMV contest before I did catch the final moments of the award ceremony and was a little upset to see that the winners received a beautiful jade looking trophy while we as the masquerade members [which is considered one of the main shows/attractions at Anime North] received only ribbons. I don't know if AN has been doing this for a while but I was a little upset that we did not receive the same sort of treatment.

Masquerade does receive the same treatment. Traditionally the Best In Show winners at the masquerade get an inukshuk trophy. (I looked for a picture but haven't found one) Unlike other masquerades we try to recognize and honor a large number of our talented contestants, above and beyond a simple 1st, 2nd, 3rd prize structure. We also try to give them something memorable, (ribbons, rather than a piece of paper or nothing). We do this rather than just a trophy that only one member of a group can take home. It is quite costly but we tried to be thoughtful in this choice.

Question: Would people prefer if we gave trophies to the top 3 winners in the masquerade and no other awards as some other conventions do? (feedback!)

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 05-27-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I fail at formatting !
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote