Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #31
ikegami
Mog ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Cons:
- Masquerade starting. it usually does but it was also because everything before the
Masquerade started late in the room.
The masquerade has run on time for the last six years. We're sorry for the problems this year, but it's hardly a regular occurrence.

Eric Brine
Masquerade Dept

Unread 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #32
C.U.

ah. thanks for the explanation with the chairs. I was not bothered by this. I had time to go buy food! (my first meal of the day) You guys did good. Organizing a con is like flying by the seat of your pants. Shit happens. I woulda been happy sitting on the floor as long as I could see and hear.
C.U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I'm glad to hear that the greenroom staff treated people well, and that the contestants enjoyed the fact that we order food for them in the greenroom. ^_^ Thank you for the positive feedback!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #34
no-more-thread
Rabbits riding Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

Question: Would people prefer if we gave trophies to the top 3 winners in the masquerade and no other awards as some other conventions do? (feedback!)
Maybe top 3 for best in show, but please do not get ride of all the other awards! With so many contestants and amazing costumes, having the judges have the option to give awards how they please I think is a good idea

ps. there was a panel on Sunday about how the judges judge costumes and such. I was really hoping to go but it was at the same time as the Lolita tea party. Did anyone record this? And is there anyway to find out what the judges liked/didn't like about costumes? (like a score sheet? I think that might be helpful to people for improving, though I understand it would be difficult to get organized and be made available)
no-more-thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
siyrean

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-more-thread View Post
Maybe top 3 for best in show, but please do not get ride of all the other awards!
lol, and there you have it.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #36
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post
Questioning is well within your right. However without you yourself having inspected every costume perhaps the judges saw something you did not? I myself do not always agree with what judges choose at masquerades, but such is the nature of being an audience member.

Additionally this is why there is a panel of judges and they are made up of a mixture of different people each year, so things are being seen with a mix of various opinions, expertise and fresh eyes.
THIS. I wasn't judging this year, but it is always difficult to choose the awards as there are so many amazing costumes. Yet if we give too many awards, people say we 'give awards like candy'. Judging is tougher than most people think, because it's a real balancing act. There is this perception that masquerade judges are very cavalier and biased and don't care, but nothing could be further from the truth. I've judged dozens of masquerades and can tell you that everyone I have worked with has taken the job seriously and always discuss (sometimes argue, lol) until we have reached a consensus.

Judges don't always agree (and as Kaijugal says, that's why there's a panel of judges, because everyone has a different opinion) but a good judge will always do their best to honour the contestants. As a judge you know that no matter what you choose, someone will be unhappy, but you just have to do your best and pick what you feel stood out from the rest.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories

Last edited by Sarcasm-hime : 05-27-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #37
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.U. View Post
I must say, I'm not a fan of monster high, but you had an amazing costume and I loved it. can't wait to check out those wig tutorials on youtube.
I've know and seen the MH doll line and TV Specials since it was lunched but it wasn't until I got the my first MH doll that I got into it. lol The details are obsessive worthy for a cosplayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
You really are, I totally didn't recognize you and then when he announced you onstage I'm like 'durrrrr that was her?'

I was also running on 2 weeks of not enough sleep, so that might be it too. LOL
It doesn't help that my voice was a bit shot as well. Every year I develop what I call Smoking Bertha voice at these cons. I have a low pitch normally so I have to speak a lot louder over the crowds. I was also talking to Merino in the green room and wasn't cluing in it was her.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #38
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
CONs
I was signed up for Cosplay 101 and Cosplay on a Budget panels but the scheduling for my Plushie Workshop messed everything up so I couldn't do either. At first it was on Sunday at the same time as Cosplay 101 so I had to back out. Then AN moved it to Sat right before Cosplay on a Budget (which was at the doubletree giving me no time to get to the Sheridan in time for prep). But they didn't remove the Plushie workshop from the schedule on Sunday so I didn't know until too late that I could have done Cosplay 101.
<3 Next year Mokulen! Hopefully it won't be at the same time as your awesome plushie making workshop
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #39
Rock-e

I really liked it this year. I didn't go last year cause something else came up...yes, something more important than AN :O but the difference from 2011 to 2013 is nuts. The crowd seems older, the staff and con were much better organized, there was a larger non-Anime presence (which works for me, as I started getting into more North American comics). We have a food truck! That's badass! I'm not really sure what really spurred this growth between the two years but it's good and makes AN an even better con. I was debating not going next year, I was feeling a bit..old? for AN, but now I'm thinking about it again.

Really the only bad thing was the weather. Getting asked if my weapon was checked even after trying to make it easy by putting my badge beside the zip tie when i passed through gates was pretty annoying but it's a fast-paced environment.
Rock-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Best AN I've had... hands down...
My only 2 complaints:

Masq reg took WAY too long to process everything Friday evening... and then the show started an hour late...

The Rad taking bookings on check IN making it that it was booked before I even left Monday morning... but that's okay, I was thinking of moving to the DT next year for ease of access with my friend's masquerade plans for 2014...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #41
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

This is in no way rebuff to the what happened Mokulen. But next year make a note in the I (Will Not be Available for Panels During section of the Update Panelist Information page just as a triple check for them.

I did total get why the Masq reg was done that way, I burned two CD's of the same track and one didn't work for them and you find out right away. Also nice they I can stop converting my audio files for AN at least. (FanExpo is another issue with sound. T-T)

I'm not sure if they could get 3 setups (6 people) to do it next year to speed things up on the Friday and cut it down to 2 on Saturday. I had a panicking Yuna next to me who was also in the Friday night skit worried about getting through the line in time to run up stairs lol.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 05-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #42
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I've know and seen the MH doll line and TV Specials since it was lunched but it wasn't until I got the my first MH doll that I got into it. lol The details are obsessive worthy for a cosplayer.
I also loved your MH cosplay! ^_^ I really wanted to get a picture but it seemed like you were always walking in the other direction I was and always within the high traffic areas.

I thought this year's AN was a blast(well except for the wind on Friday. >_>). It was so organized. The only real compliant I had was how long it took on Thursday for the pre reg line for panelists but I heard it took forever because the internet was out or something? At least the line moved more quickly after they figured out what was wrong so that was good at least.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #43
griffstar
Fan girls are scary...

Pros:
- Garbage cans! Never have I been so happy to see so many!
- Great con staff that were very friendly and helpful.
- Loved the extra space for the artists and the Dealers Room.
- Great idea to move some larger events to the TCC.
- Badges.
- Food truck.
- Well planned out photoshoots; love that it was on the back for the smaller guide book
again this year. Very convenient.

Cons:
- Like any event, lines suck but there is nothing you can do when 20 000 people are
attending.
- Masquerade starting so late. I don't blame those running it and I understand why it
happened. Kaijugal, I just want to thank you for actually coming to those waiting in
line and explaining the situation. It made me happy to know that I wasn't waiting in
line for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-more-thread View Post
ps. there was a panel on Sunday about how the judges judge costumes and such. I was really hoping to go but it was at the same time as the Lolita tea party. Did anyone record this? And is there anyway to find out what the judges liked/didn't like about costumes? (like a score sheet? I think that might be helpful to people for improving, though I understand it would be difficult to get organized and be made available)
I don't know if it was recorded, but I did attend. They chose 3 people to be judges (myself included) and only judge the presentation portion of a pre-recorded masquerade. It was difficult to decide on winners when you only had a certain amount of prizes for each division.

The scoring sheet was not detailed, it told you the division, title of the work, creator(s), if it was a recreation or original and gave you an area to put a score out of 10 and write comments. That was it. Most of the judging was based on the judges likes or dislikes regarding the costume presentations on stage. You had to talk over the presentations with your fellow judges and come to a decision.

This panel really made understand how hard it is to judge someone else's work and justify your choices. My respect for the judges has gone up. It's not easy.
griffstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

^ It's part oft he reason they talk after the show to go over their notes.

Oh forgot to add a Con:
Ripped hosiery lol.
Just placed a we love colors order for Venus (3 of them) and I have to get so more nude stocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I also loved your MH cosplay! ^_^ I really wanted to get a picture but it seemed like you were always walking in the other direction I was and always within the high traffic areas.
I was running around front the TCC,DT,TCC,DT for the afternoon of Saturday for panels and photoshoots. I didn't stop to often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikegami View Post
The masquerade has run on time for the last six years. We're sorry for the problems this year, but it's hardly a regular occurrence.

Eric Brine
Masquerade Dept
I think that didn't come out right. >_< There is usually some delay but a few minutes to 15 but I totally get why everything was pushed back this year by an hour.

I found myself nodding off a bit in the green room. lol Over all the green room went smoothly though! for me it was the least hectic of the AN green rooms I've done 5 years. Well 6 but that first one was when the body count was small the first year at the TCC and I was there for a friend. lol

I'm really curious to hear back from people that took the new Workshops though. I missed out on the Silicone Shurikens on but I didn't realise that it only had 15 seats till after it sold out. >_<

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 05-28-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #45
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post

Masq reg took WAY too long to process everything Friday evening... and then the show started an hour late...

I agree.

I have received complaints about this from many contestants. The Masquerade Directors are already aware and I'm sure will be working on how to improve things for next year. (They were trying a new sound/lights intake system).

If you have specific observations that you feel would be helpful please feel free to PM me.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote