Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #46
Miliyah

^oh good, so I wasn't going nuts when I noticed the new lighting system on Sunday. I THINK THEY LOOK AWEEEEESOMMMEEE *___*

Unread 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #47
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

In other news:

Things I liked this year:

-The new AN food truck was nifty!

-The new layout of the display tables

-Great costumes and cool to see some Original Design costumes in the masquerade as well as costumes from other genres all about this convention. We're so lucky to have a great cosplay community here in Canada! (that means you too American friends who attend AN!)

-The audience at the masquerade was much more respectful in the past, being very positive between acts and being quiet and allowing the contestants their minute uninterrupted while they were on stage.

( I *do* wish people would stop saying "ooooOOooH" all snarkily when someone is introduced in the Master Division. It's rude and not funny. )

Things I didn't like this year:

-So many falling down drunk people coming from the rave, bouncing off lobby windows, vomiting all over the place, causing trouble in the hotel, etc. If we as a community do not police this and discourage others from acting in such a way, I fear these people will ruin things for everyone. (lost privileges, more restrictions, the hotels treating us more like children or criminals, perhaps cancelled late night programming, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukune View Post
but the award process this year was very unfair to the Journeyman Division.
As I recall during the award ceremony the novice division won 6 awards, the artisan 5 and the master 4 while the journeyman's only received one award and the award itself made little sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal;
Sorry, that is completely untrue. There were 11 awards in the Journeyman Division.

I made a mistake. There were 12 awards given out to journeymen entries. A journeyman entry also won BEST IN SHOW! (Doesn't seem particularly "unfair")

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Angathol : 05-28-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: merging posts
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #48
no-more-thread
Rabbits riding Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

I made a mistake. There were 12 awards given out to journeymen entries. A journeyman entry also won BEST IN SHOW! (Doesn't seem particularly "unfair")
If think part of the problem is confusion with how one gets to become a journeyman/artisian/master. I have always understood the ranking as being if you get 3 ribbons (be them honorable mention/stage/workmanship) you get to move into the next rank (novices only need 1 to move to journeyman or to have competed three times). Talking to people back stage though, many had different impressions. Some said you needed 3 best in your division stage awards to progress (ie best journeyman). Workmanship and honorable mentions awards did not count. Could someone please clear this up for me?
no-more-thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #49
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-more-thread View Post
If think part of the problem is confusion with how one gets to become a journeyman/artisian/master. I have always understood the ranking as being if you get 3 ribbons (be them honorable mention/stage/workmanship) you get to move into the next rank (novices only need 1 to move to journeyman or to have competed three times). Talking to people back stage though, many had different impressions. Some said you needed 3 best in your division stage awards to progress (ie best journeyman). Workmanship and honorable mentions awards did not count. Could someone please clear this up for me?
I am also confused... I thought it was different for regional and international...
I thought, you win once in Regional at Novice and you move up in Regional, after that you can win 3 times... and honorable mentions don't count at all...

Then I was under the impression AN and FanExpo/Otakuthon events where its bigger and crazier, were a different level entirely, and even as a Journeyman at Regional events, you could be a Novice at these events, but this is where I'm confused... there are 2 systems... 3 level and 4 level... I thought at 4 level events you could only win once in Novice before you had to move up (again, Honorable Mention's not counting), but this year this was said otherwise and I know people who won awards last year in Novice who were Novice again...

And some of my friends who are veteran masquerade performers and are now Master level (and judge some of the regional cons), say no, in the 4 step system you don't have to move up until you win 3 times and that's what they did... stayed in Novice until they won 3 awards... in both Regional and higher ones combined...

In the 3 step system I understand you don't have to move up until you win 3 times at any level...
I thought AN was 4 level, but the MC messed me up when he talked about it at the beginning and was talking about it in a way for the 3 level system... yet there was 4 on the entry form and 4 divisions that got awarded...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #50
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Without going too much into the rules (or just reposting the whole division system here....)

Some of the confusion about the division system might be coming from the potential issue that, like the Pirate Code, the ICG system is a guideline, not necessarily hard-and-fast rules, and sometimes different conventions use different interpretations or are selective to tailor the rules to their particular event. So if you're not sure where you should enter at a particular masquerade, read their rules and ask their masquerade staff.

As for how you move up the system - it's not that winning X number of awards allows you to move up, it's that it forces you to do so. The idea is not that being in a higher level is a "reward", it is to prevent people who have already won many times from competing directly against novices and to try to ensure that they are competing against people at a similar experience/skill level. For example, someone who has never entered a masquerade before may enter in the Master division if they think that their skills are up to competing at that level, but someone who has won enough times to fall into the Master category may not enter in the Novice division as that would be unfair to the beginner/less-experienced entrants.
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #51
shinigami714
Illustrator

Quote:

Masquerade does receive the same treatment. Traditionally the Best In Show winners at the masquerade get an inukshuk trophy. (I looked for a picture but haven't found one) Unlike other masquerades we try to recognize and honor a large number of our talented contestants, above and beyond a simple 1st, 2nd, 3rd prize structure. We also try to give them something memorable, (ribbons, rather than a piece of paper or nothing). We do this rather than just a trophy that only one member of a group can take home. It is quite costly but we tried to be thoughtful in this choice.

Question: Would people prefer if we gave trophies to the top 3 winners in the masquerade and no other awards as some other conventions do? (feedback!)
I would just like to say I've always enjoyed the ribbons at masquerades and have been delighted to receive even just that. I won best in show this year and I personally think the inukshuk trophy is really unique and interesting. And can I just say it was entirely unexpected and I was so surprised to get it!

I don't think having more trophies and no awards for all of the other great costumes in the masquerade is a good idea though. There are plenty of people that deserve recognition even if it's just with a ribbon!

I also agree that there is some confusion regarding which category to compete in. I was in journeyman this year because they convinced me to enter it at FanExpo last summer. However this was only my third masquerade. And now that I have a best in show award...I'm sort of lost as to where I fit in? I don't feel like a master, and I think it would be strange to skip over artisan, but the costume con rules state that best in show places you in master! That's terribly frightening for me! :S

On to my other pros and cons...

Pros:

Space! Everything seemed much spacier this year and easier to move around in. Even with my bulky cosplay I rarely had people running into me or stepping on my feet which was a constant occurrence last year to the point of greatly angering me. Maybe people were just generally more considerate this year but I do think there was more space between tables, specifically at the nominoichi which was greatly appreciated.

More organized photoshoots! Both the photoshoots I attended were so well organized, and though there wasn't a sign at the Zelda one that I could see, there was a very clear one with dates and times at the video game shoot location, which was really useful! Not only could I see if I was at the right place, but I was also able to find out who else would be there after. Both locations proved very nice for photos as well.

The Double Tree Hotel elevators were not overflowing with people. It was fairly easy to get on and off at all times of day, even when only three people could fit in an elevator.

General temperatures! I was so comfortable in my bulky and makeup heavy cosplay, it was unbelievable. Last year I nearly passed out several times due to heat. Loved the temperature this year, it was perfect!

Volunteers were friendly and helpful!

Leg room in my den in the green room! Last year I could barely move in my den, as we had so many people and our chairs were crammed in together, but this year I could move my legs out completely without hitting anything or anyone.

Sound in the Green Room! It was much improved! I enjoyed actually being able to clearly hear the other performances.

Cons:

Wind! I nearly didn't brave walking from the Double Tree to the TCC on Saturday for my photoshoot with the fear of losing cosplay parts on the road!

Masquerade registration line on Friday. It took so long to start! I think because there were some people new to the job...probably this will be improved upon next year. The poor girl in line ahead of me had to leave to run a panel.

Den mothers. I'm not sure if it was just me...but it seemed that about three of the den mothers in my area spent more time talking amongst each other and walking off than communicating with any cosplayers in their dens. Thank goodness for the den mother in the plaid skirt that kept running around and making sure we were getting helped!

General masquerade organization. I realize there are always other issues going on and I appreciate how hard all involved work but I never even spoke with the masquerade director. And upon speaking to several others in my den, neither did they. Were we completely skipped? I asked a ninja about it at one point too, and she said he would come around. But it never happened. Thankfully I didn't have a complicated intro. Despite this, what I saw of the masquerade seemed to run fairly smoothly, though it did start very late. And because of that the awards were even later.

Thursday night pre-reg was loooong! Probably because of last year's wait more people showed up on Thursday. But I've heard that Friday's ran very smoothly, so why did Thursday night seem to drag? Maybe it was just because it was so darn cold outside!
shinigami714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #52
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami714 View Post
I also agree that there is some confusion regarding which category to compete in. I was in journeyman this year because they convinced me to enter it at FanExpo last summer. However this was only my third masquerade. And now that I have a best in show award...I'm sort of lost as to where I fit in? I don't feel like a master, and I think it would be strange to skip over artisan, but the costume con rules state that best in show places you in master! That's terribly frightening for me! :S
But you didn't win BiS at the Costume Con masquerade, you won it at the Anime North masquerade. Just sayin'.
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #53
shinigami714
Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
But you didn't win BiS at the Costume Con masquerade, you won it at the Anime North masquerade. Just sayin'.
You're right! But from what I've heard, Anime North is an internationally recognized competition now? It's just that...they don't have artisan at Costume con, so do I enter in Journeyman or Master?
shinigami714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #54
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:

More organized photoshoots! Both the photoshoots I attended were so well organized, and though there wasn't a sign at the Zelda one that I could see, there was a very clear one with dates and times at the video game shoot location, which was really useful! Not only could I see if I was at the right place, but I was also able to find out who else would be there after. Both locations proved very nice for photos as well.
Due to the wind, some signs were "off to the side" and attached to various things... and two also went missing. One Friday night and one Saturday. DT 2 (where Zelda was) is one of the locations that had a sign go 'missing'.

This is the 3rd year we have had signs, last year most of them went missing Friday night, and an ice cream truck ran over one of the remaining signs.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #55
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I think the confusion is two pronged.

Generally, based on the current version of the guidelines, a contestant winning having won three awards is asked to move to the Journyman Division, EXCEPT in a case where the contestant has won "Best In Show" "Best Workmanship In Show" or "Best Novice". Therefore there will sometimes be cases of someone having won one award moving up right away.

People who feel they have too much experience to be a Novice may also choose to compete in a higher division.

I will have to ask to have the guidelines posted on the AN website again.

Quote:
You're right! But from what I've heard, Anime North is an internationally recognized competition now? It's just that...they don't have artisan at Costume con, so do I enter in Journeyman or Master?
Don't worry about it. Since Costume-Con will be in Canada, I think we will be having a Artisan Division.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Angathol : 05-28-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: merging posts
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #56
no-more-thread
Rabbits riding Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

I think the confusion is two pronged.

Generally, based on the current version of the guidelines, a contestant winning having won three awards is asked to move to the Journyman Division, EXCEPT in a case where the contestant has won "Best In Show" "Best Workmanship In Show" or "Best Novice". Therefore there will sometimes be cases of someone having won one award moving up right away.

People who feel they have too much experience to be a Novice may also choose to compete in a higher division.

I will have to ask to have the guidelines posted on the AN website again.
Do workmanship awards count? ie. three workmanship awards like 'best beading', 'best wig', 'best use of material' (im just making these up off the top of my head)
no-more-thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #57
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

One year I'd like to attend the masquerade, but I don't feel confident enough to do so. As many said, the wind was nasty, and DireKitty, we did notice that some of the signs came down so we just put them back up.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #58
Shannynn

Something really needs to be done late Saturday night (and very early Saturday morning) about the ravers who end up pretty much taking over the showing rooms and all around the International area of the Doubletree . They're really loud and obnoxious. Most of them do not have con badges.
Shannynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #59
Kildread
I can fix it!

I loved the con, people were friendly, the venue was nice as usual, plenty of space.

The only complaint I have is the initial cold, which is hardly AN's fault

I do understand there's late-night issues with the party crowd --- which my prejudiced self is not surprised by it. The crowd really changes between the day and night. As soon as I get the impression the people out are there to get smashed, I start checking out to sleep, only to wake up pretty early in the morning to walk around the TCC, seeing the trash aftermath of the night before.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #60
Aeternus

Honestly, I thought that this year's AN was really well run. It's pretty clear that the staff read feedback and take action to fix them for the next year. For example, there was no shortage of garbage cans, pre-reg line (on Friday, at least; I didn't go on Thursday) moved very quickly, there was even a couple of staff members indicating where the pre-reg line was and controlling it so it was kept organized, convention space was used more efficiently, and there were a lot more options for food.

Although I could have done with less wind, I thought the weather was great xD Perhaps, it was too cold to wear any cosplays that didn't cover, but I felt it was better than boiling and dying of the heat like last year. Also, there was noticeably less B.O. in crowded places like the Dealer's Room - another bonus!

This year was pretty relaxed for me. I never stayed out late, I hardly ever rushed anywhere, and I just spent quite a bit of time just hanging out and enjoying the atmosphere and cosplays. Overall, it was a good year ^-^
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote