Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 11-16-2002, 10:23 PM   #1
engrish

dumbest mistake

We've all made mistakes when making our costumes. It's really easy to point out all the mistakes when the costume is done but it's pretty hard to see it beforehand while the costume is being made. However there are some mistakes that are so ridiculous it makes you want to kick yourself in the ass. Here's my dumbest mistake and I think it takes the cake!

A funny story about crossplaying. I was making a tight fitting blouse so all my measurements had to be pretty accurate. However, there was one thing I forgot. I didn't put on my "falsies" when taking my measurements. Lets just say my blouse was too tight!

Unread 11-16-2002, 10:32 PM   #2
psythe

Now there is something I didn't think of....

This thread could become a good learning resource, if everyone was to post their worst mistake ^^v
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 03:33 AM   #3
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

heh I have one. When I was sewing oukichi I had it so you couldn't see the zipper except for the teeth even on the inside so it went pink fabric zipper batting then black fabric. so I was sewing it so when you turned it right side out only the zipper teeth would stick out from the seam. Needless to say I was stupid when I did it and treated it like a normal zipper application so when I went to turn it right side out the teeth were sealed in between the layers of fabric. Tons of stitching had to be removed -_-;

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

My Shippo tail. x.x Way too heavy, it left marks on my shoulders and the back of my neck. And it didn't look fuzzy, so I have to make a new one.
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole closed ^^;;; Derrrrr
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
sailor-moon
Resident Moon Princess

in the sieya siut i made for a friend i kinda sewed the pants closed^.^ LOL i dont knwo how it happened

Usagi
Unread 11-17-2002, 03:54 PM   #7
Lilli
Alabaster Princess

._. My dumbest mistake... well, I actually have two that come immediately to mind, both done while I was sleeping ^^;; (which I guess is my first dumbest mistake. If you're snoozin, turn off the sewing machine... You'll thank me when you wake up! e-hehe...)

I was making a Hakkai costume from Gensomaden Saiyuki for my boyfriend, and I was... asleep ^^; I was cutting out the pieces for the shirt, and it's that Chinese style top, where one side overlaps the other, and I drew it out correctly, had it in my mind to cut it out correctly, but when I started cutting, I was like, "Hey, why did I draw this so long, what's wrong with me?" So I cut about halfway up the shirt before I realized what I was doing. "...well s***." I didn't have time to run to the fabric store, cause it was last minute, and it was like 4 am ._.;; Hehe, so Hakkai just had a funny seam up the front of his shirt. *throws that costume into the "re-do" bin*

My other majorly stupid thing I've done that I can think of, was when I was sewing my Bulleta (from Darkstalkers) costume. I was sewing the waistband onto the skirt, but I was... asleep ^^;; (again) and by the time I realized what I was doing, I'd sewn the waistband halfway up to the middle of the skirt. I dunno how it happened, but it wasn't anywhere near where it belonged ._.;; Started to take the stitchings out, but decided it'd be faster just to make a new one. And so I shall!! And out of a different fabric, tooo, I think.
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:35 PM   #8
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

The underdress for my Nuriko costume is a good six inches too short, because I accidentally cut the front that much shorter than the back and had to cut the back to match. Didn't have enough extra fabric to redo the whole dress. It looks idiotic.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 05:12 PM   #9
Bell-chan
Ummm what?

I....didn't wash the fabric before starting (oi...). This was when I was working on my first costume...Miaka. I think I measured everything a little too small anyway, then the shrinking after washing...and I could not wear it at all @_x
Bell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 05:16 PM   #10
Recca-kun

We tried making Bart's jacket in three parts - top red cut along the bottom to show the black, black under that, and then red below that. It wasn't looking too great as is, and then we realized that on the back where the black is supposed to go like _/-\_ we had made it go like -\_/- (you get the idea). Needless to say it didn't match up with the front and the jacket needs to be redone before I can wear it. On the plus side I have a good many things for him ready as well as ideas how to do things right/better which makes it a lot easier than starting the whole thing from scratch. ^_^;
Recca-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 05:18 PM   #11
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

I don't know why but for Knight hunters ran aya I sewed sleeves,the best I have ever sewn,onto the jacket..forgetting I didn't need them.. so I had to remove them AND I wasted fabric.

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 09:24 PM   #12
SailorAndromeda
is eating your cake.

Well, amazingly, I have (as of yet) sewn no arms or pants shut. However, I do have a funny-ish story. I was working on my Evila costume (my avatar) the day before I would leave for Otakon (it was Wednesday afternoon). I was hand-painting the turquoise design onto the shirt and skirt. I figured I would spray the items with some sort of varnish, to protect and seal in the paint. I had opened up the garage door on my mom's side to ventilate. It was about 4 and I had left the skirt (and the spray can) in the garage on papers to dry. I went inside to work on other costumes. This is where it went bad. My mom came into the house and said "I don't know what you were doing, but I ran over something". Whoops. I had forgotten to tell her NOT to pull into her garage, and she ran over the skirt and can ><
It looked pretty funny, tire marks on the skirt. Of course I was panicking, since I had like NO time left. Luckily for me, paint covered them up well enough.
So the lesson? Next time you need to spray something anywhere a car may drive, warn all who drive in your household.
~*liz*
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:30 PM   #13
Jibrille
Pirate for Life

>I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole
closed ^^;;; Derrrrr

i have a bad habbit of sewing sleeves on inside out...
did it to both my mimic sleeves, then half way to one of my mediator sleeves. ><
keeping track of whats inside out and right way and everything makes my brain want to explode.
Jibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:32 PM   #14
sailor-moon
Resident Moon Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Jibrille
>I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole
closed ^^;;; Derrrrr

i have a bad habbit of sewing sleeves on inside out...
did it to both my mimic sleeves, then half way to one of my mediator sleeves. ><
keeping track of whats inside out and right way and everything makes my brain want to explode.
haha i did that too one time^.^

Usagi
Unread 11-18-2002, 04:07 PM   #15
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

>I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole closed ^^;;; Derrrrr

XD I accidently sewed my No.9 vest too tight, so I had to tuck it in, other wise I'd walk like I had a stick up my butt. Not the best way to walk.
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote