Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

replacing soda

where ever you may ask about replacing soda intake, the overwhelming responds is
WATER...

ive tried many brands of bottled water, all of which had a dry, chalky aftertase,
ive resorted to using that koolaid concentrate and tap water,
but it tastes like nasty water, and the water its self is slimey

im pretty sure that a milk or juice only substitution would be epicly disasterous for the bowels,

but what else is there in terms of lower calorie, sugar, and still filling/satisfying

edit2, i bought one of those zerowater filtered pitchers, water tastes much better,
also came with a tester for "total disolved solids" tested my water, reads 600ppm,
thats 200 more than the little chart that shows you the life expectancy of the filter,
highest is 400ppm leading to ~8 galons per filter life, at 600, im expecting 4-5gal

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 06-03-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I know the feeling. You can go to walmart or whatever you want and get those packets you sprinkly into water. The "great Value" brand (Walmarts name brand) stuff is meant for a 16.8oz watter battle. Really all you gotta do is dump out about 4 oz of a notmal watter bottle and put the packs in, shake and enjoy. They sell them as 0 calorie ones. All they really are is color and flavor. They taste amazing and aren't anywhere NEAR as bad as soda. They have some with B12 in it which is for energy (if you were drinking the soda for the caffeine) which makes you alert enough without doing what soda does to the body.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
The Boss
Mentor

Hmm if you don't like pure water, what about tea? (without sugar of course) tea can taste pretty nice without sugar ( I drink all my tea without pouring any sugar in it). maybe that's an alternative for you if you haven't thought of it

Link- Legend of Zelda, TP
Madam Hooch
Der Tod (Elisabeth, Takarazuka)
The Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Bovice

I prefer tap water to any bottled water,
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Boreotheria
n00b

Bottled water IS tap water, bottled. It doesn't come from magical springs like it says on the label. Plus it tastes nasty because it's been stored in plastic bottles. Just drink tap water if you live in a place where it's safe to do so.

I hate drinking lukewarm water. If I'm going to drink a big glass of water it has to be cold. Have icecubes on hand.

A little bit of fruit can be a game-changer too. Get some limes and squeeze a quarter or a half a lime into a glass of water. It's not sweet, but it won't be sour with that little either, it'll just add flavour.
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
_Kalseru_

Just make sure if you drink (alot of) water, to get some salt too! To much water and not enough salt can dehydrate you x:

Just saying! *flies off*
_Kalseru_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Bovice

Luke warm onry for me. I have sensitive teeth lol. It takes me forever and a year to drink cold water
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Boreotheria
n00b

Oh, and seltzer/soda water/club soda. Recently rediscovered how much I like that stuff. You can add a bit of flavour to that without sweetener and it's really nice. There are also a few brands that sell flavoured unsweetened seltzer -- not "diet" pop with aspartame or whatever, just lightly flavoured fizzy water. I like those too.
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

I also have some tooth sensitivity - if ice cold *anything* gets near some of my teeth, it's terrible - but I've found I can do ice water as long as I'm using a straw and not letting it linger in my mouth for very long.

When I quit soda, I first had to work myself down by switching to diet for half of my soda intake (for the caffeine - depending on how much soda you're putting down, quitting is going to be rough due to caffeine addiction) and replacing the other half with water. The water helped with the caffeine withdrawal a bit, as headaches can - a lot of times - be beaten with drinking some water.

A side benefit: diet soda can sometimes just be gross, especially if you're not used to it. I know there are times where I'll get one and I just can't drink all of it because the sweetness is so fake and sickeningly strong. Once you're used to water, though, it just gets easier.

But, I second tossing some fruit into your water to give it a little flavor. Citrus is especially good for this. Plus, I use the concentrated liquids you just add to water, and I think it just depends what kind you get. I've tried a few, and I really like the Crystal Light ones (blue raspberry in particular). Same goes for the powdered mixes - try a few, they aren't all created equally, ha ha.
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
detenten

Mentioned before but chiming in anyway:
We love Mio for flavoring water. It's a concentrated liquid that you squirt in there. There's Dasani and wal-mart brand versions as well. Grab a bunch and find flavors you like-- not all of them are as delicious, lol!
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

One thing that might be worth investing in is a water bottle with a filter placed into it. I hate the taste of tap water myself, and I'm not gonna shell out money for a bottle of water all the time.

But sometimes water does get boring :/ In fact with all of the awesome healthy and low calorie foods out there.. beverages seem to get the short end of the stick "Just drink water. Unsweetened tea. BLACK COFFEE " I like variety with my beverages.. I like sweet coffee, I like fruity drinks.. that said here are my tips..

1. If you're going to order a coffee at say.. Starbucks.. just get normal coffee/iced coffee and ask for a pump of flavor syrup and room for milk (skim/rice/almond/soy what not) Will it be zero calorie? No.. but customizing it gives you more control over how much sugar is in it.. and at the end of the day it's a lot better than a Grande Caramel Ribbon Cookie Crunch Vanilla Mocha.

2. If you want soda.. go for Izze or Steaz. They're both great. Not saying you should drink 10 of them a day.. but they're nice once in awhile. Plus they're both organic and there's nothing like chemical sweetners. Alternatively.. buy some natural no sugar added fruit juice, and mix a bit with club soda.

3. Try these. http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water lots of great ideas *^*
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Boreotheria
n00b

Are those squeeze-in water additives sugar sweetened, or not? I was seeing something on the news the other day about their claims that they're healthier than soda not necessarily being true.
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

I actually started having an allergic reaction (rashes) to some Sodas almost 5 years ago? I decided to drop all of soda, it was so difficult. I have found that tea and hot chocolate are good substitutes on cold days, for hot days I started making my own hand made lemonade, light strawberry/blueberry/banana ice shakes and orange juice. There really are a lot more options than just water. Honestly, soda just looks like tubs of maple syrup to me now.
Korra New Blue Outfit..Progress 100%
Secret Cosplay 2........Progress 0%
Korra Green Outfit.......Progress 0%

Conventions for 2015:
NorCal Winter (unofficial), Sac Anime Winter, AOD, Fanime

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
Are those squeeze-in water additives sugar sweetened, or not? I was seeing something on the news the other day about their claims that they're healthier than soda not necessarily being true.
The ingredients on the back of the one I keep at my desk at work:
Water
Malic acid (http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-malic-acid.htm)
Propylene glycol (appears to be here as a solvent)
(Less than 2% of the following)
Natural Flavor
Sucralose and acesulfame potassium (sweeteners)
Potassium citrate
Red 40
Blue 1
Potassium sorbate (preservative)

0 Sugar, 0 Calorie, all that jazz. It's Crystal Light, blue raspberry flavor.
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Bovice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
The ones I use are 0 calories; so if they're sweetened, it's artificially.

I also squirt them in no sugar jello to give it flavor. Then I can have an awesome snack at 10 calories/serving; 8 servings per box and can eat an entire box of jello, which fills my sweet tooth for only 80 calories (and it comes out to be A LOT of freakin Jello)