Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Lemon-Squeezy

I personally like Propel water. I like all of the flavors and Propel Zero has well, zero calories lol.

Kastucon 2014
Austrian Succession Spain
Cowboy America

Otakon 2014
Daenerys Targaryen
Austrian Succession Spain
Mistral - .hack
Kofuku - Noragami
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

This is problematic. While water like energy drinks can substitute actual water, it won't help lose weight at all. It's just the calorie that is 0 but other "nasty" ingredients go in them.

The best substitute is tea and yeah you require water. If you can, buy a subscribed water filter machine fountain. I don't know what it is called exactly. Or invest buying gallon Fuji water. Is the general water itself that taste bad or certain product?
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #18
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

every one has nice ideas, and id be all over it,
but i cant get "good" water anywhere

ive sugested the subscribed water thing pandagilbirds mentioned, to my family before,
but i seem to be the only one who dont like our waters taste, the way you cant wash the soap off your hands or tacky hair fresh outa the shower
the water utilities guys say the waters just fine, and our softener is optimally set,
so the family accepts our water as it is
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #19
Rex Surrection
Scott Oma

Dropping the sodas (or pop) is the best thing anyone can do for their weight and health. That high fructose corn syrup seems to pack on the pounds like it's getting TRIPLE XP for it.

If you're not a fan of drinking a lot of water every day (*raises hand*), I do well with tea and the carbonated flavored waters (at CVS, Target or Meijer's around here). The tea especially helps curb my appetite between meals, the little bit of caffeine helps, but I have to add sweetener otherwise it's just dirty root water to me. Stevia is supposedly more natural than the other types but I'll use any zero-calorie sweetener when I'm out.

I used to drink coffee more but the highs and especially lows with the caffeine fluctuations made me feel too dependent on it. Tea generally has 1/10 to 1/2 of the caffeine content so it's much more tolerable. (Decaffeinated coffee or tea generally has 1/10 of the caffeine content as the usual.)

Years ago, I used to be addicted to energy drinks. I think I tried them all and I suspect they hurt the enamel on my teeth plus there's the fructose sugar-laden weight gain, in addition to the other nephrotoxic (dehydration), hepatotoxic (taurine), arrhythmia-inducing (too much caffeine) stackable fun-time buffs. Coffee helped me transition off of energy drinks (never touched the stuff before then), then tea off of coffee.

Another way of getting off the soda/pop and junk food for me was eating fruits (apples, pears, oranges, berries) whenever I wanted the other stuff. It's nature's candy and while not zero-calorie, replacing the junk with fruits will help you lose weight in a good way.
Rex Surrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Lycoris Ousa
sleepy kitty

I've been doing water but I also have those Mio things to put into it if I want something different. I like the smart water mostly because I can actually taste a difference in it. I do carry stuff like sunny D in the house just in case I want something sweet but doesn't have a lot of sugar in it. I also carry those big kool-aid powders and the lemonaid ones also. Again to stop me from having a soda if I feel that urge coming on. Tea is also a good thing to switch over to, it gives you that caffeine that you can sometimes carve.

*Con list*
AWA - 2014
Momo Con - 2014
Dragon*Con - 2014
Lycoris Ousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #21
sandra03

a lot of people make the mistake of replacing soda with other equally sugary drinks. koolaid, most juices etc and even sweetened iced tea have a lot of sugar.
if you like unsweetened iced tea that's always a good option. you can make up a big pitcher and keep it in the fridge so it's handy when you want it instead of having to steep some every time.
you can also add certain things to a pitcher of water to give it flavour if you don't like plain water.

personally i don't like artificial sweeteners, most are really bad for you and i find they leave a gross aftertaste and don't sit well. you can sweeten things like coffee and hot or iced tea naturally with agave, i'm sure it could work for other things too. it seems pricey but you don't need a lot so a bottle lasts quite a while

and agreeing with the natural sodas mentioned earlier, Blue Sky is my favourite, i haven't tried the cola but the rootbeer and cream sodas are amazing. they still have sugar but it's natural cane sugar, not the high fructose corn syrup that makes most sodas so bad for you

i'd like to quit, so far i've cut back somewhat but it's hard to make the final leap. i've cut down on coke, i'll try to keep sprite on hand instead since the darker ones have more of the unhealthy stuff in them. i've heard it's a good way to wean off of it, switch to clear ones like sprite/7up and then from there it's not much different to switch to sweetened flavoured carbonated water (though i find most have aspertame, having a hard time finding ones that don't) and from there to unsweetened flavoured water

Last edited by sandra03 : 06-07-2013 at 01:27 AM.
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaylaTheRoo View Post
I also have some tooth sensitivity - if ice cold *anything* gets near some of my teeth, it's terrible - but I've found I can do ice water as long as I'm using a straw and not letting it linger in my mouth for very long.

When I quit soda, I first had to work myself down by switching to diet for half of my soda intake (for the caffeine - depending on how much soda you're putting down, quitting is going to be rough due to caffeine addiction) and replacing the other half with water. The water helped with the caffeine withdrawal a bit, as headaches can - a lot of times - be beaten with drinking some water.

A side benefit: diet soda can sometimes just be gross, especially if you're not used to it. I know there are times where I'll get one and I just can't drink all of it because the sweetness is so fake and sickeningly strong. Once you're used to water, though, it just gets easier.

But, I second tossing some fruit into your water to give it a little flavor. Citrus is especially good for this. Plus, I use the concentrated liquids you just add to water, and I think it just depends what kind you get. I've tried a few, and I really like the Crystal Light ones (blue raspberry in particular). Same goes for the powdered mixes - try a few, they aren't all created equally, ha ha.
You don't necessarily need to use fruit, either. :3 There are recipes on the internet for herbal water - it's much less expensive to make your own than to buy say, Hint or Ayala's Herbal Water. They're delicious but for people on a budget, it's more economical (and creative) to make it rather than to buy it.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #23
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

I just have to say something really quickly about diet soda for anyone switching to diet soda from regular.

DIET SODA IS WORSE

Diet soda contains aspartame (Yeah, we know that Artsy, what's your point?) Aspartame is not only an artificial sweetener but it's also a chemical preservative that when ingested, your body metabolizes it into formaldehyde! Yup, FORMALDEHYDE. (What's formaldehyde?) Formaldehyde is an substance that is commonly used as a main ingredient in DISINFECTANTS and the preservation of biological specimens.

Now lets look at the latter of the two first here. In its essence, Aspartame PRESERVES specimens in their CURRENT state. So when you combine Formaldehyde with sugar (regardless of what kind of sugar, it's still stored in your body just like granulated sugar is) you're essentially making your body FATTER. It's a huge lie from these companies that the diet pops are healthier for you. Soda in itself is grotesquely unhealthy be it diet or not.

So lets look at the safety concerns with formaldehyde when you place it in a human or animal body. In 2011, the US National Toxicology Program had official labelled formaldehyde as a known human carcinogen! So how serious can this be? Well as little as 1 oz of formaldehyde ingested in a solution can kill an adult human! Only 1 oz! In a water solution, formaldehyde is also very corrosive, especially to biological tissues, and formaldehyde in general in the body has been known to be a common factor in the development of cancers like nasal sinus cancer, leukemia, and nasopharyngeal cancer. Other damage formaldehyde is known for (especially in small doses) is damage to the nervous system, the immune system, and also permanent genetic damage (especially for women still in their child-rearing years).

One can of diet soda produces 6mg of formaldehyde in the body. So if you are drinking diet sodas on a regular basis, I highly suggest, for your own life, that you cut it out ASAP.

What I did to start cutting out soda:
I switch to drinking just gingerale. And from there I added 1/3 of the glass of water, and 2/3 with the gingerale so it was still sweet and still bubbly, but the concentration of sugar that I was ingesting was lower. And just gradually increased the amount of water and decreased the amount of soda until it started tasting kinda unappealing. From there, I switched to lemon water. Also adding in some lemon to your mix before switching completely to lemon water helps too.

Well I hope I was able to shed some light on a very serious topic (which I feel most people just have zero idea about) Always happy to help!
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #24
Bovice

While I wouldn't recommend diet sda to anyone, the above post just made me laugh. Make sure you're getting your info from peer reviewed, scientific articles, where you can determine the outcome of the study for yourself based on the data presented, rather than something from the media, where they can twist the data to pretty much say anything they want to in the majority, if not all the cases.

6mg is .00021[number goes on] formaldehyde; with 1oz being able to kill you, you'd need the equivalent of 5000 sodas in your body at once to kill you. Not to mention that finding that statistic, not is it 1oz, but it's also at 37% concentrated, which makes a huge difference.

Anything in excess can kill you. If you have 5000 bottled waters in your system at once, you're also going to die.

Much of this data and many research done against MANY things are blown out of proportion by the media and the data is used to state it whatever way they want. "Oh we gave this rate more than 5,000x the dosage that you'd ever take and he got cancer. If you drink this, you're gonna get cancer" Even if the media has a credible source, they still also have an agenda. You're better off reading the peer reviewed scientific data yourself and coming up with your own conclusion rather than being given one by the media.

As far as diet soda being worse than regular, again, there's been no data proving so, but just what the media decides to pick/choose out of a scientific article (and a lot of the times they don't even do that, they'll just bullshit statistics).

I'll go from personal experience with this one though. I've been on my personal journey for 3 years now. 2 and a half of them I swapped from soda to diet soda. The other half year, I've been exclusive to water. My results have been an accumulation of the past 3 years, not just the last 6 months.

There's no data whatsoever that ingesting diet soda in the amounts we do will ever have any harmful effects on the body. If you want to talk about super doses that we'd never have in life, that applies to anything we can consume, including water, organic foods, etc. etc. If you have enough of something, it's going to kill you in one way shape or form. And on that note, if sat down and drank diet sodas until you fell over and died, the cause of death would be the water content in the diet soda and you drowning yourself or over-hydrating your cells until they burst before you'd ever die of formaldehyde

That being said, I still recommend water to everyone. It's the best drink there is, but based on the media and my own personal trials, I'm not even close to convinced that diet soda is worse than regular.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
gadowain
at last, forgot

I see in your edit you've gotten yourself a jug with a filter, which is what I was going to suggest. I, too, hate the taste of bottled water/tap water and find my Brita filter makes it taste much better. When I work out, I also have a water bottle with a filter in the spout, which I bought at Loblaws. When I've left that bottle at work or elsewhere, I sometimes use MiOFit to flavour water from the filter into a reusable bottle... it is sweetened with sucralose, if that doesn't bother you!
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyFartsy View Post
I just have to say something really quickly about diet soda for anyone switching to diet soda from regular.

DIET SODA IS WORSE

[snip]
Another thing I notice in a lot of diet sodas that might be worth watching out for is Sodium or Potassium Benzoate. In a nutshell, when it's in drinks combined with Ascorbic Acid, it creates benzene, which is carcinogenic.

Then there's Phosphoric Acid, which is often used in colas to give them a bite. It's rather acidic and too much of it can be damaging to your teeth. Putting this in with sugar just adds insult to injury. I'm not sure if artificial sweeteners cause tooth decay aside from Xylitol, which at the moment is still recommended by some dentists because the bacteria die when they try to consume it.

That being said, I rather agree with Bovice. Nothing is good in excess and a bit of diet soda isn't going to kill you or give you cancer. Just don't try to convince yourself that diet soda is the end-all be-all.

Personally I find diet soda just makes me crave more sugar. It's sweet and it still has that "sugar craves sugar" effect on me so I don't drink it unless I come to work without my reusable water bottle, which doesn't happen too often nowadays.

Last edited by Captain Kaiba : 06-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
lonelyblossom

try putting in a few slices of lemon or cucumber or both in a pitcher of cold/iced filtered water. i find that it makes water taste much fresher and gives it a little kick normal water doesn't have.
lonelyblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #28
Lucky Joestar

I just go with straight tap water myself, no need for a filter, since the city does a fine job of cleaning it up.
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #29
Drazhar

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+liquid+stevia

Just leaving this here and moving on, it works for me. (Personally fond of chocolate raspberry, peppermint, and vanilla creme, mix either chocorasp or vanilla with peppermint = awww yeah)
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
Boreotheria
n00b

The aspartame scare stuff is debunked here. That said... artificial sweeteners are not necessary to most people's lives. How about trying to change your need to have everything be as sweet as candy? Then you can enjoy a little bit of sugar now and then and not be a complete junkie about it.