Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
The aspartame scare stuff is debunked here. That said... artificial sweeteners are not necessary to most people's lives. How about trying to change your need to have everything be as sweet as candy? Then you can enjoy a little bit of sugar now and then and not be a complete junkie about it.
I second this, and will even go as far as to say stevia isn't really helping. It has the same problem as you mentioned with artificial sweeteners - having everything be as sweet as candy but this time it's all natural. Stevia being all natural may or may not make it as bad as aspartame - there are a ton of all natural things we shouldn't put in our bodies such as lead, mercury, and death's cap mushrooms.

Also the extracts are closer to the real deal than the white powder. If you're (general you, not you specifically) gonna have stevia, go with the extract. It's highly concentrated so you don't need a whole lot - maybe one or two drops.

Last edited by Captain Kaiba : 06-10-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
starsinthesky

When I need to replace soda, I drink unsweetened iced tea and water. My water can only be consumed if it's ICE cold. I usually have a lot of ice in my water haha
starsinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #33
ShimaGenki

The whole diet vs. non-diet debate makes me laugh. As far as I'm aware, there's no study proving a direct link between aspartame and cancer, but there might be a correlation. As a general rule, I just mark them both as being just as bad as the other because it replaces healthy drink consumption with something that provides no nutritional value.

The unfortunate thing about our bodies is that we grow to like high amounts of sugar content. You can "untrain" your body to like sweets by cutting them out. If I recall correctly, it takes a few months, and I haven't been able to get myself there. (Because those sweets are too damn good!) Things kind of taste icky when you start cutting sweetener, but then the more you consume them the more you come to appreciate them.

The best way to get hydrated is to always have water next to you and sip as habit. I'm pretty good with this at work... home I need to improve on. Just drink to empty the glass while you do something else. Depending on your tastes, you might do better with putting some cucumber in there. It's a subtle change in the taste but enough to flavor it naturally.

While unsweetened teas aren't a bad substitute, do be careful of your caffeine--caffeine will unfortunately hydrate you if you drink enough without enough water. I'm not saying you can't, but don't replace all water with tea.

I found using the filter bottles to improve the taste of unpleasant tap water. They do sell systems you can pop on your tap so that you don't have to keep filtering the bottle--but I'm not sure what those sell for as outside of college I've never had to use one.
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #34
Bovice

I prefer tap water myself, lol
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #35
KickAssGirl

i drink distilled water i will also mix crystal light or low sugar cranberry juice with a splash of mineral water .cucumber water really refreshing
KickAssGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
cinnabubbles
Sugar and Rainbows

I drink lemon water, hot/iced tea, white/chocolate milk, or juice instead of soda.

Sometimes I will have a soda if that's all available to me but very rarely.

Connect With Me Socially: Tumblr / Facebook / Twitter
cinnabubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #37
ShimaGenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
I prefer tap water myself, lol
Me too, mostly. I grew up on well water, so I've always been drinking from the tap. The college dorms were only the really time I strongly disliked the taste of the tap water.
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
emmisu
King of Toast

Club soda + Mio

Its like soda, basically. Except there's no heavy syrup.

That is your best bet.

When I quit soda though, I started unsweet tea because it has a little more flavor than water. Now I hate soda, so it worked out.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #39
panda0920

Soda is a big difficulty for me. I've gone cold turkey off of it and it still came back into my cravings months later. Here is a website with some basic recipes on making fruit-infused water which is more natural and healthier and might help some cravings.

http://www.organicauthority.com/juic...sed-water.html
panda0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #40
sandra03

re: the caffeine in tea
you can get some really great teas that are naturally caffeine free. look for any that are labeled rooibos. rooibos teas come in more flavours than you can imagine, taste similar to a black tea, but are caffeine free. and you can steep them forever without them ever going bitter. I'm a fan :P
just be careful with some of the crazier flavours, some might have added things that you may be trying to avoid. like a chain of tea stores around here offers so many different kinds, and many of them i can't have because they contain dairy. some have chunks of real chocolate or caramel etc, which means sugar.

a favourite evening tea of mine also is an herbal but it's called chocolatey chai. the chocolate flavour is actually carob though. i find if i'm craving something sweet or chocolatey it does the trick, and since it's herbal it's caffeine free.

as for soda, i've been pretty good the last couple weeks ^_^ i think this is the longest i've ever gone without a coke. i figured i'll still have it as a treat when i go out, but we were out for dinner last night and i didn't even want one
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #41
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

I put some Mio in my water.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #42
CS3
wannabe world traveler

I drink a lot of water and a tea called "mugicha". I'll drink a soda maybe once a month (novelty/special sodas) that's really it. I think doing that is partly responsible to me losing 30lbs over a year.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #43
dooork

Like ShimaGenki I grew up on water so I've never been addicted to soda, I mean sure I love the stuff but there's no way I'd be substituting it for water or tea because
1) It's hella a heavy load to carry home from the supermarket and back home, and if you're like me and live in a place where everybody lives on a hill of some sort you'll understand what it's like to lug home soda every day...
2) I know soda does damage to one's teeth, my teeth are probably the only part of my body that I really do like because I've never had to wear braces and they're pretty straight, so I'm not going to ruin my teeth just for soda. Furthermore once soda rots your teeth, where do you think the calcium goes? Save your kidneys, you need them for a lifetime ^q^

For girls or other peoples who have painful periods! A great solution I found was ginger tea, I don't mean the ones that come in teabags. Simply get a grater, grate some fresh ginger into a teapot, some boiling water and filter it out---it does an amazing job of making sure I don't get period cramps next month. If ginger is too spicy for you you can always add lemon and honey, it's not for everybody I admit, but it's a pretty good alternative to soda ;D
dooork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #44
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I'd suggest Orangina, but it's expensive, so you can take club soda and add natural oreange juice, not only more healthy, but it also tastes great.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #45
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

update,
so ive been drinking filtered water for a while now,
but im finding that if i look at my beverage intake weekly, im only adding it to my normal
soda based intake,

so instead of ~28 cans of soda, im getting 18-20cans, and 12 or so 16oz bottles
of instant juice (via the GV brand of powders)

which im not sure is healthier by much
ideally id like to cut back to 1 soda as an end of the day treat
but i dont see that happening

also, filter cost is looking to be disasterous, even if i replace it after the water quality reaches that of bottled water or even at twice as bad, im looking at 16$ a month
which i guess is relativly cheap, but for water that i already pay twice for? (water/sewer bill)
not worth it

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 06-24-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote