Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > A-Kon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Doronjosama
Old and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angii View Post
Treatment of the VG Cosplay Contest: I did happen to be in a group that placed this year, and I was extremely disappointed in how the Main Stage Cosplay treated us. There were no chairs designated for us (I know several of the winning costumes, mine included, required us to sit for a bit after the entire day's walking to save our props and stamina), and we went from getting our awards on stage to just posing on stage to walking on stage and hoping the guy reading our names off didn't finish before we all got onstage. Considering what followed our literal 5 seconds on stage though, it was easy to see where the priorities were.
The coordinator of the VG Cosplay was given instructions on how to bring up their contestants, then changed them last second without telling us in advance. If these changes had been discussed with us ahead of time, we would have been better able to accommodate the VG cosplayers.

Next year, we are rearranging how we lay out the backstage area to have more chairs for everyone. I apologize for the lack of chairs this year!

--Elin (Cosplay Staff Head)

Last edited by Doronjosama : 06-04-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo
Doronjosama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
LindyStar

Meh, not impressed.

Pros:

Beautiful Hotel Amazing ambiance and decor

CONS: This was my first A-kon, and will be my last. Not at all impressive, way overrated; I've been to Anime Boston and Otakon and both were exponentially better

Panels: A lot of the panels I went to, the speaker/hosts made it a Q & A or 'conversation' format, not as presentations with a complete lack of preparation of materials. Also, there was a lot of introduction that was frankly unnecessary and boring (hi my name is X this is my life story of how I am a fanboy/girl and how I am qualified to run this panel).

One of the academic presenters didn't show up at all. The staff at the table said the next speaker was late, so I waited outside for quite a time for the next panel to start and finally asked if the Q&A was done- to which they said probably, so I went in and had to sit through about a quarter hour of Q&A that didn't interest me and was frankly very uncomfortable with hearing (I don't want to hear about sexualizing bodies of any type regardless of the many valid societal issues surrounding how different ethnicity is portrayed) before another of the organizers announced that the speaker wasn't late, they weren't even going to come. I left very upset.

Con staff not knowledgeable I went to a table to ask where locations were, or if there was a bag-check for the rave, if there was a ride board (there should be one!), where the social drinking meet-up was (I went to the bar and didn't see anyone so I asked the wait staff and the info desk and nobody knew)

The ballet: The advertisement was misleading- I was expecting something professional and polished- not a 'this is our first production' show. They didn't have the lighting figured out so we all sat around for a good 1/4 hour for them to figure it out finally too.

The Rave on Sat Horrible DJ. He didn't keep the energy of the crowd up, the beats were barely switched up and the dancers on stage were the only ones really dancing. Worst rave I've ever been to at a con.

The hallway You all know what I'm referring to. Funneling traffic through the dirt wasn't cool either.
LindyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
PANDUDE

Cool

So If i make a weapon that going with my costume
but this weapon is made out of wood and stuff so
how does that work if it is allowed can i get some inspirations and stuff for a future looking rifle
PANDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Papersak

I usually go to tiny Nebraskon and, knowing this would be a big con, somewhat expected the hallways/ large rooms to be full of people everywhere

but what was with those lines is this a normal thing for A-kon ._.

I was trying to meet somebody at the Dealer's room and felt terrible that I left Saturday because after about noon, there was seemingly no return without waiting in a really long line that I n00bishly thought was going to go down in time. ^^;

Not to mention there seemed to be a line for every panel (or just the panels with guests...? It was hard to tell). I dunno, I'm kinda picky but it seemed like any panel I wanted to go to either had a line or conflicted with food scavenging time. The food trucks were awesome, but whenever they weren't there I was starvingggg. I looked briefly at the ticker stuff and I kinda just wish they used cash because the court was full of people everywhere. I guess I was just too lazy to push people out of the way to see the signs and then go back to the ticket place and get just the right amount of tickets and then push back to the place I wanted food from.

If I go back, it'll probably not be until after you guys are squared away at your location. Maybe a lot of weird thing happened because it was a new place. That, or I should expect this all from a big con... question mark? o_o

The game room and the artist guests were the best part (save the lack of DDR, which I was especially bummed by since I was a DDR cosplayer and wanted a cute photo op xP); by far, I think the waiting for every panel and the dealer's room were the worst parts.

Also, there was a bundletruck of confusion about preregistration. It was a a 15 hour drive to this place (12 hours in, we were warned the line stopped at 9). I about cried after arriving just after 8 and potentially missing Idol tryouts and running into the "the line shut down at 8" guy, but my persistent fiance was like "we paid for all three days WE ARE GETTING ALL THREE DAYS" and all of the staff except that one guy at the end of the line agreed that the prereg line wasn't supposed to be capped yet, so it seems after some flagging of other staff and arguing, we got our badges Friday after all. But seriously, I think more prereg people would be all for paying a little extra to have badges mailed ahead of time.

And megaphones >>>> yelling, imo. It's loud, but less scary. ^^;
Papersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
Angii
Slifer Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doronjosama View Post
The coordinator of the VG Cosplay was given instructions on how to bring up their contestants, then changed them last second without telling us in advance. If these changes had been discussed with us ahead of time, we would have been better able to accommodate the VG cosplayers.

Next year, we are rearranging how we lay out the backstage area to have more chairs for everyone. I apologize for the lack of chairs this year!

Ah okay! That clears a lot up. I got a lot of the info secondhand because of my trying to stay out of others' way in the Main Stage contest/being half blind/totally fragile, so all I ever heard was that it was Main Stage contest's fault. Sorry for that!

We were lucky enough that a few of the other contestants were willing to give up chairs for us, though, so it's okay. Here's hoping communication actually works out next year!
Angii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

For those who used The Complete Guide to Project A-Kon, please let me know if it was useful. Also, if there are things I should change, add, or subtract, let me know that too. Lastly, for those who used the Interactive Map on A-Kon's website, again, please let me know if that was useful.

Elin: it would be helpful to have a box fan in the backstage area for cosplayers who need a little extra cooling. I felt bad for some of the cosplayers who had massive costumes without built-in fans, and while the AC in the hotel was solid, there were a lot of warm bodies in that room very close together.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
PepMaster

For me I kinda enjoyed the con. Had a big turnout for my panel, bigger than any other I've done since 2007. I mean the room was packed for the pepakura panel but I left my sermon at home so I just had to wing it and resulted in me jumping all over the place.

So kind of a let down on myself there, as for eating, the food trucks were not prepared and I think the food court made me sick. Stale fries, the chicken was horrible. The food trucks were there most of the time or would close early or run out of food too quick.
For something this size they should have been better prepared. Also I think the medical staff should have been more in a central location, near the entrance was not a good spot.

The Anatole pretty much screwed the guests over on what they should have had and I think the gym area was even closed the entire time but I may not be right on that.
Next year I don't know if I want to stay in the Anatole or if I'll use the Sheraton again.

Now finally as for the staff attitude, only had one smart off to me, yeah not a good choice with someone from a military family. Yell at me I yell right back. Also as the dealers room was closing the final day, I heard the announcement and started on my way out never stopped at one of the dealer tables but had one of the dealers yelling at me to get out and following me all the way to the exit. Not the right attitude. Sad I did'nt ask the booth number she was working at. But then again would'nt have made any difference.

Also thought the con had a policy of no counterfeit items. One of the dealer tables had resin replicas which were clearly recast from another creator item. I know Cool Models have been booted from a couple conventions and this should have been the same result with these thieves. They even openly told me they were recasters when I asked and was told "We just recast items that have already been recast" so essentially taking a item and making it worse.
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
ChibiBritt
The Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepMaster View Post

Also thought the con had a policy of no counterfeit items. One of the dealer tables had resin replicas which were clearly recast from another creator item. I know Cool Models have been booted from a couple conventions and this should have been the same result with these thieves. They even openly told me they were recasters when I asked and was told "We just recast items that have already been recast" so essentially taking a item and making it worse.

If you have any evidence of this please PLEASE contact A-Kon staff/PR. They may not have caught this and if your information is true, they would very much like it brought to their attention.
Cosplay Staff/Panelist for A-Kon
Ani-Idol/Voice Over Idol Director for A-Kon, AnimeFest
ChibiBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Doronjosama
Old and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyddon View Post
Elin: it would be helpful to have a box fan in the backstage area for cosplayers who need a little extra cooling. I felt bad for some of the cosplayers who had massive costumes without built-in fans, and while the AC in the hotel was solid, there were a lot of warm bodies in that room very close together.
Noted! I will put that in our requested items for the backstage area for next year. I knew since it was our first time in the new space, there would probably be some things like that we'd figure out after the first run. ^_^

So next year: more chairs, and some box fans!

Re: The gym being closed: the gym is apparently a private gym not connected with the Anatole- there are people who just use it as their regular gym and have memberships and everything. So, the gym was open, but it required a guest fee to use, yes, even if you were staying in the hotel. The Anatole has no control over that, unfortunately. We found this out when my husband went to go try to work out. He ended up skipping his workouts all weekend. (And so did I, though I usually only ever get one in on Thursday evening before the con goes crazy...)

--Elin
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

Quote:

I'm not sure this is something you can address Elin, but I had intentions to participate in the VG contest, but ended up not doing it because no one at the info desks could tell me where it was. I asked one girl, she told me to look it up on my phone (which I can't do because I don't have the AKon app, windows phone) and then someone else came over to ask me what I needed, I asked where it was and then he...asked me where it was.

Maybe next year you guys can try to make sure the info desk workers are fully informed about cosplay events? Especially since some of them are tucked away in hard to locate areas of the hotel.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #26
Doronjosama
Old and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Chans View Post
I'm not sure this is something you can address Elin, but I had intentions to participate in the VG contest, but ended up not doing it because no one at the info desks could tell me where it was. I asked one girl, she told me to look it up on my phone (which I can't do because I don't have the AKon app, windows phone) and then someone else came over to ask me what I needed, I asked where it was and then he...asked me where it was.

Maybe next year you guys can try to make sure the info desk workers are fully informed about cosplay events? Especially since some of them are tucked away in hard to locate areas of the hotel.
Unfortunately, I have no control over that, since Cosplay Staff has no control over the VG Cosplay at all. It is run completely and 100% by the Gaming Staff. They didn't even tell me where it was being held- I ended up telling people to check in the Khmer Ballroom where Gaming was located, since that was the only information I had! (In the past it's been held in the Gaming area, so I just directed people to the Gaming area at this hotel... hopefully, I was right in my assumption...)

The two contests are completely separate and always have been. But, since it is a cosplay contest, Cosplay Staff get asked a lot of questions about it, and sadly, we are often not given full information for it. It's really unfortunate. I'll try to pass along at the next staff meeting that they need to be more proactive about blasting their information out there so they can reach the maximum number of people.

--Elin
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have no control over that, since Cosplay Staff has no control over the VG Cosplay at all. It is run completely and 100% by the Gaming Staff. They didn't even tell me where it was being held- I ended up telling people to check in the Khmer Ballroom where Gaming was located, since that was the only information I had! (In the past it's been held in the Gaming area, so I just directed people to the Gaming area at this hotel... hopefully, I was right in my assumption...)

The two contests are completely separate and always have been. But, since it is a cosplay contest, Cosplay Staff get asked a lot of questions about it, and sadly, we are often not given full information for it. It's really unfortunate. I'll try to pass along at the next staff meeting that they need to be more proactive about blasting their information out there so they can reach the maximum number of people.

--Elin
Ah, ok. I think it was actually next to some gaming, I ended up walking past it randomly later in the evening. Hopefully communication overall will be better next year.
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I will do my best to notate the Interactive Map better next year to indicate where the cosplay events are taking place. (I didn't have time to embed room schedules into the map this year, sorry! Final exams were a bit higher on my priority list.)
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
PepMaster

Quote:

Re: The gym being closed: the gym is apparently a private gym not connected with the Anatole- there are people who just use it as their regular gym and have memberships and everything. So, the gym was open, but it required a guest fee to use, yes, even if you were staying in the hotel. The Anatole has no control over that, unfortunately. We found this out when my husband went to go try to work out. He ended up skipping his workouts all weekend. (And so did I, though I usually only ever get one in on Thursday evening before the con goes crazy...)

--Elin
Hate to say it but that sounds more like Anatole BS. They took away most of the guests perks (ice bucket, soap dish, problems with towels, blankets, etc. So they more than likely took the gym away too. I wonder if they did that with the pool as well. If the gym is on the grounds and connected to the Anatole, then it's part of the Anatole, and I'll bet if you look at the perks on the Anatole website it will show gym access. Unless the hotel has two gyms one for guests and one for "special memberships", which I doubt.
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepMaster View Post
Hate to say it but that sounds more like Anatole BS. They took away most of the guests perks (ice bucket, soap dish, problems with towels, blankets, etc. So they more than likely took the gym away too.
Actually, Elin is right. Per the Meeting Guide on the Anatole's own website (which I referenced in The Complete Guide to Project A-Kon), the charge is $15/day for the gym even if you are staying at the hotel. I'm sure they sell discounted memberships for business/corporate customers, but they really do have a separate pricing structure for the gym.

The other guest perks...those were addressed at the How Did We Do? panel, which I won't go in to here. Save to say that A-Kon itself had no control over the matter.