Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 11-17-2002, 02:33 AM   #1
ChenCzen

of Chobits and Persocoms

ive picked up this manga just recently... and it makes me wonder.

what if there were persocoms? more importantly, would i too fall in love with mine?

for fellow readers, we all know the many benefits they have. but the things they lack... how important are they really?

all the things i want could be replicated by a persocom or better yet a chobit. except for the ability to reproduce (um, not in the ghost in the shell sense. im talkin bout makin real babies).

what do we as humans have to offer each-other that would make us better than them? i keep wanting to find reasons why i would choose a real person but i cant find any...
ChenCzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
Sami
» star*stealing girl

I would feel a little iffy sleeping in bed next to a hunk of metal with faux flesh over it.

But I don't think you'll have to worry -- we're nowhere near that level of technology, so you'll have to stick with real flesh and blood for now.

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
ChenCzen

a hunk of metal covered in false flesh...

again im going to refer to ghost in the shell and ask does what we are made of make us human, or is it our abilities and thoughts?

if the only measure of our humanity is our bones and blood then we really arent that special. besides, theres a persocom equivelant to our body parts... cables instead of viens, cpu instead of a brain, hearts and batteries...

i just dont know... maybe i WOULD rather wake up next to a heap of metal covered in faux flesh if that heap loved me. theres no betrayal... they always have time for you...
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:01 PM   #4
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

I think they're going to be a major part of life in the future of we make that breakthrough.

Falling in love with a persocom... I don't think I could get used to knowing that if I loved a persocom it could never be the equalivant to a real human being that had a soul and was not PROGRAMMED.

P.S.: Nice new avatar ChenCzen

Last edited by Babbit_Chan : 11-17-2002 at 01:03 PM.
Babbit_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:07 PM   #5
Sami
» star*stealing girl

> Falling in love with a persocom... I don't think I could get used to knowing that if I loved a persocom it could never be the equalivant to a real human being that had a soul and was not PROGRAMMED.

Yeah, exactly. If something was programmed to love you than it would be really fake.. and you'd only be cheating yourself. ._. Someone that loved me because they wanted to, not because they were programmed to or because their circuits told them otherwise. I don't think anything can replace flesh and blood live born human beings, even though some people would like to believe otherwise because they have trouble in the love department or have been burned in the past. There's nothing easy about love, no matter who you are, and being led blindly to love someone (and be loved by someone) just isn't right; it's unfair to all those involved. ^__^ That's what I think.

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:08 PM   #6
ChenCzen

but what is programming?

we are all programmed as human beings. programmed by the morals and ideas of our parents who raised us. programmed by our peers to conform or be made an outcast, programmed by schools... it may not be a series of 1s and 0s, but its the same thing. and chobits are capable of learning...

and what about souls? can you see or touch your own? does it even exist? i have never fallen inlove with someone elses soul so i dont know if thats even a factor for me.
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:31 PM   #7
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

Okay, so in a sense you could say that both humans and persocoms are "programmed". Maybe the difference is our life cycle and past. We ourselves were meant to dominate this earth and from the years it would take to create a persocom, in the end, while it could walk, talk, have common sense and morals, it would still only be a machine *created* by us - not really one of us. They're a product of technology - a machine to be put to common use for the benefit of man. Man has its own people to be with when it comes to relationships and love. You can displace your human love with a persocom, but it would never be the same as being with the one you should be with. Almost like loving a pet, I guess.
Babbit_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:26 PM   #8
ChenCzen

who says its almost like loving a pet? whos to define my love as being real or not, or on what level? only me.

humans are created from other humans. persocoms are created by humans... we are all creations.
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:34 PM   #9
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

But the way Persocoms are 'programmed' is different then a way a human is 'programmed'.

Humans are programmed by what happens around them,what experiences they/Human race as a whole has been through down to the very street on which they were born and their parents personalities.

Persocoms are Programmed without experiences,pasts etc.
Though they were made by the hand of a human and therefore do hold some human personality attributes etc. they still have not lived to know of the hardships we have been through and have the same 'souls' we do.

Thats just my opinion.. HUZZAH

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:38 PM   #10
kitty_neko

they can be programed from experience if they have learning software installed. i see the human race as being obsolete compaired 2 persocons. i would rather be one or have one. i mean, come on, they're perfect in every way
kitty_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:42 PM   #11
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

But will a Personicon scream at you when you do something stupid?
Hit you when your being a moron?
Call you gross when you burp loudly after drinking a beer?
Drink beer with you and burp loudly while playing videogames?
Walk around in two day old clothes smelling bad?

Most likely,no. And its the little things like that that make a human.. disgusting or not it's always nice to know that not everyones perfect and your all individuals with little quirks and moments of stupidity ^^;

Unread 11-17-2002, 02:44 PM   #12
kitty_neko

no offense, but ive never heard of anyone striving to be stupid. and i mean, u can program them so they have their own different personalities. if u wanted, u could even program one to be 'stupid' or not so perfect.
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:59 PM   #13
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

No one 'wants' to be stupid.
But face it.. sometimes you make a mistake and do something stupid,everyone does.
What I meant is that not only can they never have random little quirks like every human.. perfect,engineered beings can never fully be like us.

Plus..I would get agitated being around someone who never makes mistakes ..x.x;

Unread 11-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #14
Spooky Brew
CosplayWillFuckUpYourLife

I think as Batman put it: Our difference between any ohter creature is that we as humans have souls. But this topic was a while ago.....
Spooky Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 05:39 PM   #15
kitty_neko

souls....hmmm.....

define a soul..... im honestly curious