Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 03-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

For masquerade: a so-so dance, or better nothing?

I'm attending a con in 10 days and wanted to particiapte in the masquerade to be judged on Novice Craftpersonship.

On the first and only con that I attended so far, participants who just walked through the stage to be seen but hadn't prepared an activity looked somewhat...... bland, to my eyes. A lot more attention was paid to contestants with a skit of any sort.

Being up on stage by myself, I could do a portion of a dance number. Now.. I'm NOT good at dancing. I don't want to be judged on skit presentation and I don't think me dancing would ADD value to my being on stage, but it might bring more attention than just standing there.

So the question is... a mediocre dance would help or hurt my craftmanship chances? And if not a dance... what? a walk through or something else? What's the best use of my 2 minutes of fame?

Dani

Unread 03-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Menchi
Tee hee <3

hmmm i only have a few ideas maybe am right maybe am wrong...i dont know.

idea one (my fave): is do a walk on but instead of bland oh i am walking on bleh....walk on witha smile an energyas if you were modeling an having fun doing it (if the character is that way) or if the char is al dark an such do it as if you were the character. that impressed me as a cosplay judge esp if they had the costume looking great ^^

idea two: try an work a lil dance or somethin into it. if they have a form or option for noting its a craftsmanship judiging you want specify that...they may jus allow you to work a small perfomance into the walk on. but this varies from con to con though.

but either way i woud suggest putting energy an be pleasant into it most ppl like friendly faces vs the oh...ok...i...walk...on...ok...yeah
Unread 03-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Xanthix
Webmonkey Extraordinaire

I'd say to try to do something in character. If your character has some trademark poses, use those. If not, try doing something typical for the series or the genre. For example, I remember seeing a cosplay group from Lodoss War, and instead of just walked across the stage, they made like they were marching through a forest, searching for enemies. It looked better than a walk-by and gave people a chance to see the costumes in action. Some masquerades will let you bring music to walk to, this could help you too.
Unread 03-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
Chanté
da bananaz

I don't think there's anything wrong with walk-ons. You just gotta do it with flair. I made a total fool of myself at AX2003, my first masquerade, doing a happy dance as Kasumi onstage - and everyone I've talked to loved me! XD

Sailor-Jupiter.net | Cristina's Tiki Journal | Sailor JAM-boree

University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
~ Class of 2011!! ~
Chanté is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Walk-ons are only bland if you let them be. Do something in character, preferably funny as long as it's in character. When I did my walk-on as Suu, obviously it would have been out of character to do something funny. I walked on stage, stopped in the middle, twirled around slowly, and made a little curtsey.

The purpose of a walk-on is to show off your costume, and make sure you do that. Do a complete 360 degree spin (preferably slow) so that the judges can see your costume. Confidence is the key.

I didn't answer your question, did I? Don't do a mediocre dance, especially by yourself. If you think your dancing skills are bad, that attitude is going to show onstage.

Heh. I'm one to talk >.>.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Juu-Sama
ジュウ様

umm...am new to cosplay as well as walk ons (duh.) but is walk one just something like models do in fashion shows (walk to the front pose, walk away) or am I required to do something in character? (trademark pose I can do....)

to help with that question, I am cosplaying as Lenne and there is really not THAT much about her character (yeah yeah, the charming little sweet and gentle kinda girl). but there isn't a whole lot to her character...so, what do I do? (does DANCE help?)

(Freaks out from asking too many questions and runs into sewing machine)......

Juu-sama
Juu-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

For those curious on the outcome of my situation, please see my con report here:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=11

Dani