Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 07-31-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Touya no miko
TnM

What to wear with this JSK?

So after being away from Lolita for a long time, I decided to come back to the hobby and purchase my first brand dress. It's beautiful, but needs a little more oomph to it. I already have these adorable shoes from Bodyline, and a fluffy petticoat.

I'm debating on wearing it with either a white or a black blouse, as well as some matching socks. In addition, I need a wig in black. I don't like having the typical straight bangs I see in lolita hairstyles, since my face is chubby and it'll only emphasize it even more. Let's not forget hair accessories either. Alice headbands or bows are much preferred.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Identity-Crisis

I can't tell because of the mannequin in the picture, but is there white lace or ruffles on either side of the straps?
Identity-Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

You could also go with any color of blouse and match that color on the socks/legwear as well. You don't *need* to use white or black. If you decide to use another color, it might be a good idea to add a bit more of that color up top. I usually add a bow or a floral hair clip in the color that I'm tying in, in addition to the main matching headwear (like say, a black bow in this case).

Also with the bangs, you can leave them longer and just pin them off to the side. I do the same myself with most of my wigs since blunt bangs don't work to well on me.
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
KchanIwai

Side-swept bangs are flattering and can mask facial shape. I love this dress... congratulations!
KchanIwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
konekoanni

I would start out with a white blouse personally, to compliment the white lace. Black could work, but it would be harder to coordinate. Since the jumperskirt and blouse are simple, solid colors, you can get a little more creative with the socks. Something like these or these or these would be creative but still coordinated, and add some interest to the overall look.

Side-swept bangs are perfectly acceptable these days, and I prefer them myself as well. What is your skin tone? Black wigs look kind of stark on some people (I could never pull one off myself without looking too "goffick") and depending on how dark/light or pink/yellow your tone is, I might recommend a chocolate brown or milk tea color instead.

Do you want a head-eating bow, or something more understated? A big black and white bow like this one would lend to a very classic "old-school" look, or you could tone it down with something smaller like these smaller ones or a lower-profile side bow.

I hope this helps, and good luck! Feel free to PM me for more ideas, I have lots of examples.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Touya no miko
TnM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konekoanni View Post
I would start out with a white blouse personally, to compliment the white lace. Black could work, but it would be harder to coordinate. Since the jumperskirt and blouse are simple, solid colors, you can get a little more creative with the socks. Something like these or these or these would be creative but still coordinated, and add some interest to the overall look.

Side-swept bangs are perfectly acceptable these days, and I prefer them myself as well. What is your skin tone? Black wigs look kind of stark on some people (I could never pull one off myself without looking too "goffick") and depending on how dark/light or pink/yellow your tone is, I might recommend a chocolate brown or milk tea color instead.

Do you want a head-eating bow, or something more understated? A big black and white bow like this one would lend to a very classic "old-school" look, or you could tone it down with something smaller like these smaller ones or a lower-profile side bow.

I hope this helps, and good luck! Feel free to PM me for more ideas, I have lots of examples.
Thanks for the helpful advice!

My skintone is on the light-medium side with yellow undertones (I'm Asian btw). In addition my natural hair color is black, so a dark wig won't be too much of a problem. I think the big bow you showed in the first picture looks perfect. I'll probably add it to my want list, and maybe the checkered socks as well.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
konekoanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touya no miko View Post
My skintone is on the light-medium side with yellow undertones (I'm Asian btw). In addition my natural hair color is black, so a dark wig won't be too much of a problem.
Perfect! I just wanted to check because wig color and skin tone is something a lot of people don't consider. Sounds like you're well on your way to a great oldschool coordinate.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
NerkyChan

I agree with Bobbi you could wear any colour blouse but if you want to pick between black or white, pick white to bring out the lace as konekoanni said.
What colour shoes are you wearing?
IMO I think red shoes and accessories would go really nicely with this or if you wanted to keep monotoned polka dot stuff would be really nice too.
NerkyChan is offline   Reply With Quote