Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
DinoTabbi

Stupid Question?

I use myfitnesspal to count my calories as well as how many I lose when I'm exercising. I know my weekly goal of how many calories I need to eat and burn. I exercise with a partner that is looking more for exercise than counting calories. If I were to exercise with them every day, I would be losing more than 100 extra calories for the week. What I'm wondering is, should I do this anyways and eat that extra 100 calories or be under my calorie count? I know it's not good to not meet your calorie goal and not eat enough so will this make a difference or will I be losing weight faster? I've been eating healthier and drinking more water also, and yes, I know exercise is always good for you.
DinoTabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Finesse
Common Sense

No, exercise is NOT always good for you. It can cause serious problems if done in excess. That said, you probably won't run into problems. I discourage calorie counting in general, but the general rule of thumb is how your body feels with it. If you didn't eat those extra calories and you're feeling weak, then EAT, GODDAMMIT! But honestly, 100 calories is not going to make or break your weight loss journey.

I really don't want to cause a clash of fitness philosophy here, and I certainly don't want to deprecate your preferred method of dieting, but I'll share the advice I give to all my friends and family members looking to lead a healthier lifestyle: Don't put as much weight in the numbers than you do in how you feel. If you eat a bag of potato chips and then go to bed, you're probably going to wake up feeling like shit, so you know to eat that less often. If you eat a salmon (assuming you like the taste and don't have any allergies), you'll probably wake up feeling healthier, so you know to eat that more often. It's things like that. Just keep making healthful decisions and leading a healthy life, exercise regularly, and the weight will come away on its own.

To summarize, it's not about how much so much as it is about what you're eating that makes a difference. 100 calories isn't going to make a difference either way, so I say: Definitely do the extra exercise, and see how you feel about that extra 100 calories, but if you're going to eat them, make what you eat something that will help improve your health, not undo what you just finished.

Last edited by Finesse : 06-05-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: unfinished.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Reionyx
It's Showtime!

As already mentioned by Finesse, 100 calories is not going to make a difference in the long run. I think that it is completely up to you how you use those calories - use them as a buffer for when you feel hungrier some days. Being and staying healthy is more about changing your "lifestyle" rather than being on a "diet". As you progress through this change, you will come to make better and better choices in food, and find your happy medium when it comes to exercise.
I also use myfitnesspal to track my calories, we should add each other - only if you want to though (my username is Reimon). I could always use having some more cosplay fitness friends! ^_^!

Last edited by Reionyx : 06-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Reionyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Creator
Prop maker

if you use my fitness pal app it has a section for adding your work out routine. what that does is subtract the calroies burned from your daily alloted amount. this is really helpful because it does the work for you.

-Good
-Fast
-Cheap
Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator View Post
if you use my fitness pal app it has a section for adding your work out routine. what that does is subtract the calroies burned from your daily alloted amount. this is really helpful because it does the work for you.
In my experience, MyFitnessPal overestimates the calories burned from walking. LoseIt seems to be more on par with other calculations.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
shingekinokyoji

Regarding exercise, it's always calories in, calories out. An extra 100 calories won't kill you really, especially if you're already burning it. What you should really do is monitor yourself instead of calorie count and ask yourself if your body can take the extra beating.
shingekinokyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
ShimaGenki

The thing with calorie counting is that any calculation you use isn't going to be unique to you. You have to find what works for you. And do mind to eat enough, without over-eating. It can be ridiculously frustrating. There's also the whole theory behind what to eat pre- and post-workout. If you don't eat right when working out, it can really tire you out and counter-act what you're trying to do!

Just be careful not to close in too much on numbers. Treat them as a guide more than anything--what is calculated isn't always correct and can be misleading, and there's always a pile of theories of how one properly eats. (There's even something so extreme as to eating different numbers of calories each day of the week--holy cow!) Plus, again--your body is unique, so you have to adjust until you have a good fit.

A good rule of thumb to go by: if you feel tired, something needs to change. Good diet and exercise should make you feel good--not drain your energy.

To answer your question in a really round-about way: it really depends on how you feel more than the numbers.
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimaGenki View Post
The thing with calorie counting is that any calculation you use isn't going to be unique to you. You have to find what works for you. And do mind to eat enough, without over-eating. It can be ridiculously frustrating. There's also the whole theory behind what to eat pre- and post-workout. If you don't eat right when working out, it can really tire you out and counter-act what you're trying to do!

Just be careful not to close in too much on numbers. Treat them as a guide more than anything--what is calculated isn't always correct and can be misleading, and there's always a pile of theories of how one properly eats. (There's even something so extreme as to eating different numbers of calories each day of the week--holy cow!) Plus, again--your body is unique, so you have to adjust until you have a good fit.

A good rule of thumb to go by: if you feel tired, something needs to change. Good diet and exercise should make you feel good--not drain your energy.

To answer your question in a really round-about way: it really depends on how you feel more than the numbers.
Truth, right there!

I've also been using MFP for tracking my calories and workouts, but mostly, it just helped me with paying more attention to the contents of what I had been eating, and how much of it I was putting down. After about two months, I'm now way better at saying when I really do or don't need to eat (like stopping myself from bored eating), and how much a real serving is without breaking out the measuring cups.

That said, I've had a few days where I just ignored the app, and others where I got to dinner time, saw my calories remaining, and knew that I wasn't going to be going over unless I went out and bought some ice cream or cake - my sensible dinner and snack weren't going to break the "diet."

Don't use the numbers it gives as the end-all amount you're allowed to have, just pay attention to your body's reactions to how much you're eating. If you find post-workout that you're tired and need some more, eat something!

Good luck!
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
ShimaGenki

Oh, here we go! This is a spectacular article that outlines post-workout nutrition, and how to calculate your personal needs: Post Work-out Nutrition. It uses research to base it's calculations on. I build my protein shakes from whey protein, fat-free milk and banana, but whatever you have is fine. You don't ~have~ to run out to get protein powder; it's just super convenient for me (plus it's a tasty way to suddenly add protein to foods that don't have quite enough protein to keep me full)

Here's also a beginner's guide to nutrition, but just gather some general concepts as it's geared to body builders.

I was going to tack these links on last night, but I looked at the clock and realized it was 2am! xD
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
NerdAtHeart

I lean towards the not-calorie-counting camp because eating 10,000 calories of McDonalds vs 10,000 calories of vegetables, lean meats and fruits in a week are going to yield different amounts of fat storage because your body reacts to every food differently.

Calories are only a starting point. Yes, eating 2000 as opposed to 4000 calories will have you (very likely) storing less fat, but then 2000 calories of some foods vs other foods will yield different results.

My suggestion? Start looking at concepts like the Glycemic Index (yes, I know it's a starting point too) and try and cut out overly processed, high GI, trans-fat-laden and salty foods from your calories. Concepts like 'clean eating' might steer you in the right direction.

Unfortunately our bodies are smarter than our calorie calculations so looking at what foods make you fat vs what foods keep you trim is a great next step!

And keep the exercise up, it's always good for you.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
xcvi
xcvi

Finesse has some really good points, as well as everyone else. I too have to say that calorie counting is probably not the best thing to do. It's SO time consuming. I tried it for about three months and it was ridiculous.. I had to stop. I felt like I could only eat things from a box because it had the numbers on it and that's the OPPOSITE of what you want to do. It's also time consuming to figure out portions.

The best thing you can do is to eat "clean" <--- (I hate this word to be honest, food is never "dirty") and get exercise. This will do wonders.. if you're not already doing it. I didn't see ANY results until I cut ALL crap out of my diet lol. Really.. listen to your body. Eat however much you want of "clean" whole foods and just keep doing the exercises and just go by what your body is telling you and what you see in the mirror. Putting it all into numbers is hard because often you'll see something different than the numbers are telling you. It's just not worth it! Just eat healthy and you don't even have to worry about it. I've been working out for three months on a completely clean diet (diet as in just what I eat, not cutting calories) and some form of exercise everyday. I've seen MAJOR results and I've never seen my body look like this in my entire life! Save yourself the trouble!
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote