Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #256
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I can't believe AN has gotten so crazy big! Hotels never booked this quickly before.

Unread 06-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #257
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Naw, the past 4 years has been this crazy but with he lack of room from the IP and Rad this coming year everyone scrabbling to get a room in hotels that don't fill up this fast.

That said I wish the hotels would agree to a hold booking block till a set date like the FanExpo hotels do. That way it's everyone one can book at the same time.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Angathol : 06-10-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: merging posts
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #258
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
That said I with the hotel would agree to hotel booking block till a set date like the FanExpo hotels do. That way it's everyone one can book at the same time.
I have to agree with that. Makes it fair for everyone.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #259
Nefer
Silver fox

I also agree with that, plus it would allow people to book via the website and not have to call since the rate code would be up by that time. Having to spell every number on your credit card because they don't understand your french accent was kinda getting on my nerves this year to be honest, I felt like I was talking to someone in India or something -_-;

2013 cosplay:
Ike(SSBB) || Maria(SotN) || Rosa(FF4) || Sesshomaru(IY) || Setzer(FF6)
2014 Convention cosplay:
Caterina(TB) || Elsa(Frozen) || Firion(FF2/DFF) || Gakupo(Voc.Venomania) || Ryuuki(Sai.Mon.) || Viera White Mage (FFTA2)
Future (2015 conventions):
Dragoon-Elezen(FF14) || Eirika(Fire Emblem:Awakening) || Erza(Fairy Tail) || Seymour (FF10)
Nefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #260
siyrean

IP wasn't booked by staff. I've got two rooms there next year because following the trends of last year, I decided to book Sat. night.

anyways, this still isn't as bad as dragon con, where you do have to wait for a set date, and that day is chaos where thousands of people flood the server, you have to try multiple times because the traffic is so high, it doesn't always go through, and it's sold out in less than 10 minutes, so you pray that first time you punch your info in, it works. my friends use multiple computers at once, for different connection speeds and paste their info in, right on the minute it opens and its still a crapshoot.

I'm just saying, right now, if you're on your toes and book early enough, you'll get a spot. if we all hope for a set date, and that happens, our chances of getting a room could be even worse.

Next year when i check in on thursday, i'll be asking for the passkey code and booking then.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

Last edited by siyrean : 06-10-2014 at 03:33 PM.
siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #261
musicalcats
Mars Fire Ignite

I heard that Holiday Inn that other blocks for hotel rooms will open in January, I think.
Tellu (Sailor Moon) (Sunday)
My cosplay page:
musicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #262
jukebox
role models > supermodels

I honestly just wish that the hotels would wait until the new year before accepting reservations for AN, it's getting really out of hand to have to frantically scramble to make sure you can get a room literally a year in advance.

Now that I've moved into attending bigger cons as press, hotels rooms aren't a luxury for me at this point. They're necessary so that I can do my job efficiently - a lot of events I'd have to cover at something like AN run late, and then at the end of every day I have to stay up late and get all my photos uploaded and reports written up. So having somewhere with wifi to work, as well as having somewhere near the event to sleep and eat are necessary.

I can get away with commuting to FanExpo because it's way more accessible via transit but AN is a lot harder to bus back and forth to.

It's nice that the hotels and the con wanted to make sure staff had rooms closer to their events but exhibitors, artists, vendors and media are people too. >:

EDIT: also, I should mention that booking a room with one king size bed at the Holiday Inn is costing me 189 a night and it's pay in advance. I'm not even going to mention to them that I have anything to do with Anime North at this point, it's kinda staggering for what aren't really extremely impressive rooms.

I feel like the hotels are starting to do this because they know they can. We have to rely on them because so many of us actually legitimately need crash space at the convention. Until the City of Toronto gets their act together and builds the express transit to the Pearson airport and people then have the option of commuting, the hotels could continue this. If people trashing rooms and causing a ruckus was really the norm, I don't think they'd let us back every year. :/ It seems more like a chance to make extra bucks off the nerds thinking we won't notice or know better.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt

Last edited by jukebox : 06-11-2014 at 02:05 AM.
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #263
Chipface
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
If people trashing rooms and causing a ruckus was really the norm, I don't think they'd let us back every year. :/ It seems more like a chance to make extra bucks off the nerds thinking we won't notice or know better.
That and people would be getting charged for the damages done.

Just like you, I wish they wouldn't open up AN reservations until the new year, or fall at the very least. It'd be nice to not have to think about booking your room for next AN as you're leaving the con. But nope, gotta watch shit like a hawk and try to score a room within a week after.

If this keeps up, people will start start reserving rooms before the con they just scored a room for(ie. booking a room for AN 2017 before 2016 has even happened).

Last edited by Chipface : 06-11-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Chipface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #264
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
I honestly just wish that the hotels would wait until the new year before accepting reservations for AN, it's getting really out of hand to have to frantically scramble to make sure you can get a room literally a year in advance.

Now that I've moved into attending bigger cons as press, hotels rooms aren't a luxury for me at this point. They're necessary so that I can do my job efficiently - a lot of events I'd have to cover at something like AN run late, and then at the end of every day I have to stay up late and get all my photos uploaded and reports written up. So having somewhere with wifi to work, as well as having somewhere near the event to sleep and eat are necessary.

I can get away with commuting to FanExpo because it's way more accessible via transit but AN is a lot harder to bus back and forth to.

It's nice that the hotels and the con wanted to make sure staff had rooms closer to their events but exhibitors, artists, vendors and media are people too. >:

EDIT: also, I should mention that booking a room with one king size bed at the Holiday Inn is costing me 189 a night and it's pay in advance. I'm not even going to mention to them that I have anything to do with Anime North at this point, it's kinda staggering for what aren't really extremely impressive rooms.

I feel like the hotels are starting to do this because they know they can. We have to rely on them because so many of us actually legitimately need crash space at the convention. Until the City of Toronto gets their act together and builds the express transit to the Pearson airport and people then have the option of commuting, the hotels could continue this. If people trashing rooms and causing a ruckus was really the norm, I don't think they'd let us back every year. :/ It seems more like a chance to make extra bucks off the nerds thinking we won't notice or know better.
Express transit will (hopefully) be open next year for the Pan Am games (July). Ticket from downtown to the airport will be about 15 dollars. Trip takes about 20 min with two stops: GOs Bloor Station near Dundas West and one in Weston. The connection will also allow transit from the KW area to the airport. Not sure if this would relieve any stress on AN hotels as from there you would need to get to the TCC.

I think AN needs to get on board with something like OnPeak which would mean every hotel would open up when ticket sales do, and you can do all of your booking through the On Peak website. It's clear the hotels are not capable of managing their rooms and there is mass confusion over what is booked and what is not.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #265
DropsOfRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
I think AN needs to get on board with something like OnPeak which would mean every hotel would open up when ticket sales do, and you can do all of your booking through the On Peak website. It's clear the hotels are not capable of managing their rooms and there is mass confusion over what is booked and what is not.
I've never heard of this, but it sounds like a fantastic idea.
DropsOfRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #266
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Express transit will (hopefully) be open next year for the Pan Am games (July). Ticket from downtown to the airport will be about 15 dollars. Trip takes about 20 min with two stops: GO’s Bloor Station near Dundas West and one in Weston. The connection will also allow transit from the KW area to the airport. Not sure if this would relieve any stress on AN hotels as from there you would need to get to the TCC.

It's also generally hotel business policy to overbook rooms because they get a percentage of no-shows and last minute cancels. I had a prof who used to manage a hotel, and he mentioned this once in class. Since you normally (outside an event) don't have to put any kind of downpayment or deposit on a room when booking, they believe every booking is 50/50 on showing up.

(I am so glad I live nearby and don't have to book a hotel)

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #267
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

^ Lame, I can understand that logic but most people for AN HAVE to get a room because of location in the middle of nowhere, their option are limited for this event.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #268
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropsOfRain View Post
I've never heard of this, but it sounds like a fantastic idea.
PAX uses OnPeak which is how I found out. OnPeak can struggle a bit with PAX (much higher numbers clamoring) but even then I really prefer it since I can see every single hotel and how much the rooms are in one space. So with OnPeak all rooms would go live when ticket sales do - so you know when the IP/Rad/Holiday Inn/Sheraton are open for booking instead of finding out they booked up the day before.

It also works great on your phone.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #269
musicalcats
Mars Fire Ignite

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalcats View Post
I heard that Holiday Inn that other blocks for hotel rooms will open in January, I think.
Correction: Nov.-Jan.
Tellu (Sailor Moon) (Sunday)
My cosplay page:
musicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #270
Chipface
Master Ninja

Seems AN could learn a few things from PAX. Don't they also mail out passes?
Chipface is offline   Reply With Quote