Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
Nagii
Number Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Holiday Inn is indeed booking. Make sure you have the right Holiday Inn as there are two on Dixon and the one farther away from the con doesn't have an AN block (yet?). You have to ask for the Anime North Group rate for that weekend as the entire hotel is in the AN block.
I think he knows their booking, hence why said person called. The person said the East location was full. As for the entire hotel being entirely for AN, I call bologna. No hotel is allowed to book 1 group in every single room of their hotel. Especially one near an airport.

Friday: Chromia
Saturday: Lizzie Hearts (Ever After High)
Sunday:

Transformers Con 2015 - IDW Chromia
Fan Expo - Duchess Swan
Nagii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Cookae

I booked with the Crowne. No group rate, but its cheaper wihout the rate so I'm happy, though I might call later to change to the anime north rate.... We will see
Cookae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagii View Post
I think he knows their booking, hence why said person called. The person said the East location was full. As for the entire hotel being entirely for AN, I call bologna. No hotel is allowed to book 1 group in every single room of their hotel. Especially one near an airport.
Thanks for sharing.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
uzuki54

Just booked Thurs to Sun at Courtyard for next year. By pre-advance payment, it's about the same as the con rate was when I stayed there this year. I was quite happy with the hotel. The hot water in the bathrooms was a little lacking, but the whirlpool made up for that. Plus, the staff were quite nice. One night shift fellow got me a free tea when he noticed me hanging around the lounge at 5 in the morning, and after asking me, I had mentioned I wasn't feeling well and was there to avoid disturbing my room-mates. Shame I didn't get his name

Ai-Kon

Cosplays in progress

Female Red Mage (FF1)

Team Rocket Grunt/or Phantom Renegade
uzuki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
ludicium

On Sunday I booked a quad at the Holiday Inn East from the 23rd (Fri) to the 26th (Mon) @ 170/night and that's the AN 2014 con rate. I also requested a fridge which is an extra 10 dollars.
ludicium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
darth_horo
This is my scary face

Just to verify, if you booked rooms for the Double Tree right after the con (and before the name change) is it safe to presume that your rooms still stand?

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_horo View Post
Just to verify, if you booked rooms for the Double Tree right after the con (and before the name change) is it safe to presume that your rooms still stand?
rooms are valid under both names... if they weren't going to be, they wouldn't have booked... if you booked and got an email, click the link in it if you're worried about it... but its fine. This has been said on the AN FB page by staff many times
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
mrscrona
AWSOME

My sister an I have never been to AN before and we are currently in a heated argument about the best hotel. She thinks holiday suits would be best but on the map it seems a little far to me? Any help
mrscrona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

There's two Holiday Inns; a close one and one that's quite a hike. The close one is only a few minutes walk. If you wanted closer you're too late- the Doubletree and Radisson booked out weeks ago. The Crowne Plaza and Sheraton are still walkable, and the Sheraton hosts con events, but it's a 10-15 minute walk and the Crowne is NOT a good idea if you have a hard-to-move-in cosplay, since the shorter walk involves climbing a large hill and hopping over a guardrail.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscrona View Post
My sister an I have never been to AN before and we are currently in a heated argument about the best hotel. She thinks holiday suits would be best but on the map it seems a little far to me? Any help
Keep in mind there are two Holiday Inns near Anime North. Airport East (600 Dixon Rd) is the closer of the two.

Anyway, the top three most sought after hotels are Radisson, Doubletree/International Plaza, and Holiday Inn Airport East.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
There's two Holiday Inns; a close one and one that's quite a hike. The close one is only a few minutes walk. If you wanted closer you're too late- the Doubletree and Radisson booked out weeks ago. The Crowne Plaza and Sheraton are still walkable, and the Sheraton hosts con events, but it's a 10-15 minute walk and the Crowne is NOT a good idea if you have a hard-to-move-in cosplay, since the shorter walk involves climbing a large hill and hopping over a guardrail.
Yeah that hill can be very problematic, and if you avoid it your walk gets significantly longer, making the Sheraton closer and the Sandman about the same length of walk as well.

Having two Holiday Inns within a short distance is very problematic name wise, the names are similar and easy to confuse. Many people think they are booking at the east one and end up having booked at the one farther away.

Sheraton is showing as full when I checked last.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
BeaIank

Well, this will be my first time in Canada and my very first Anime North.
I booked with Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport and from what I see, it is 1.2KM from where Anime North is being held.

My question is, is it easy to make from there to the convention site walking (light traffic, pedestrian lights, etc)?
BeaIank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaIank View Post
Well, this will be my first time in Canada and my very first Anime North.
I booked with Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport and from what I see, it is 1.2KM from where Anime North is being held.

My question is, is it easy to make from there to the convention site walking (light traffic, pedestrian lights, etc)?
That's a good 20-25 minute walk to the main Anime North venues (Toronto Congress Centre, Doubletree/International Plaza hotel). I had to walk that last year and it wasn't fun, especially with the very hot summer weather of that year.

Facebook
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
BeaIank

Actually, I got the name of the hotel wrong. I booked with Residence Inn Toronto Airport.
Dunno why I pasted Holiday Inn.

Still, 1.2 km is a distance I expect to cover in about 10 minutes of walking. I bike 30 km per day to work and back home everyday.

My main worry is how safe the streets there are for pedestrians (i.e. low traffic or high traffic, crosswalks), since Dixon Rd seems to be some sort of highway, at least on google maps.

But thanks for your reply. The heat is a factor I haven't considered.
BeaIank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #30
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaIank View Post
Actually, I got the name of the hotel wrong. I booked with Residence Inn Toronto Airport.
Dunno why I pasted Holiday Inn.

Still, 1.2 km is a distance I expect to cover in about 10 minutes of walking. I bike 30 km per day to work and back home everyday.

My main worry is how safe the streets there are for pedestrians (i.e. low traffic or high traffic, crosswalks), since Dixon Rd seems to be some sort of highway, at least on google maps.

But thanks for your reply. The heat is a factor I haven't considered.
Dixon Rd is actually a regular, though major street. It just happens to intersect with a couple of highway/freeway bridges. Walking won't be too much of a problem.

Facebook