Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #61
AJ the Collector
Collector

I just got told Hotel Indigo isn't on the AN hotel list for 2014, and the way they told me other hotels will have shuttle service seems to imply they won't be adding Indigo. I've informed them that Indigo is the only one I can afford, and I sure hope they consider adding them or I don't know what I'm gonna do... :c
End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
DTAC 2014

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Gamzee Makara {100%!} for FX14
Equius Zahhak {100%!} for End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
Totakeke {90%} for DTAC14
L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Sable Able {50%} for CB15
Penelope Mouse - Sly 3 design {40%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #62
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

You could always keep some change/get some tokens for the bus. It would only be a few stops to the con. You can also try and fill a taxi. If you go through Union or a major subway station on the way to the con, you could get a weekly pass ($38.50 and thus it'll have paid for itself in thirteen rides, and the week starts the day you bought it, not Monday-Sunday), or if you're thinking you'll be back and forth a lot on just one day, a one-day pass (added bonus, two people at once can use it on Saturday and Sunday, and it's only $10.75 for unlimited transit for that day. Value gotten once you've taken four rides if you're alone)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 12-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #63
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
You could always keep some change/get some tokens for the bus. It would only be a few stops to the con. You can also try and fill a taxi.
Yeah, no, I'm not walking for 15 minutes down the road to then wait I-don't-know-how-long for a bus, and I'm definitely not gonna be able to put out a bunch of money for a cab two ways every day that I'm there. My whole stay basically relies on the AN staff adding Indigo to their list, cause really, there is no reason for them not to anyway. If they don't, my plans are proper screwed unless I manage to get a good similarly-priced room somewhere else with shuttle service.
DTAC 2014

L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 12-29-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #64
uzuki54

Um, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but it sounds like you are saying that the AN staff should add Indigo to their list. It really boils down to the hotel itself deciding to give a discount rate for con-goers. If the management of the hotel have decided against doing so then that's why they aren't listed. You could still book with them but just without the discount rate. Again, if I'm misunderstanding, I apologize.

Unknown
uzuki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #65
RoiDeZombi
Weh~★!

I booked a room at the Marriott. 1 room, 4 people. Under the con rates. Anyone stayed there before? Is it good?

Upcoming cons!
Fan Expo 2014!
- Chihiro (Dangan Ronpa)
- Taiga (Toradora)
RoiDeZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #66
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoiDeZombi View Post
I booked a room at the Marriott. 1 room, 4 people. Under the con rates. Anyone stayed there before? Is it good?
It's a good hotel, though I will admit that I didn't take full advantage of its services. The big thing you might have a problem with is the 15-20 minute walk. When I stayed there, it was during a brutal heat wave, which made the walk feel even worse. Also, it will be a pain to transport big, cumbersome outfits. If you have a Metropass though, you should be fine.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #67
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzuki54 View Post
You could still book with them but just without the discount rate.
If I do that, I then have to walk an ungodly distance just to get to the con and back, and I swore off doing that again after I had to do it in 2011. My best bet so far is to wait a bit and see if they end up added or just try and secure a room at one of the other low-priced ones with shuttle service that everyone usually saves as a last resort due to the distance.
DTAC 2014

L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Unread 01-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #68
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
If I do that, I then have to walk an ungodly distance just to get to the con and back, and I swore off doing that again after I had to do it in 2011. My best bet so far is to wait a bit and see if they end up added or just try and secure a room at one of the other low-priced ones with shuttle service that everyone usually saves as a last resort due to the distance.
Since Indigo is so far away and you can't walk it i'd try booking at something like the Hampton Inn http://www.animenorth.com/live/index...inn-and-suites
They offer free breakfast and a shuttle to the TCC. In fact it looks like all 3 hotels that offer breakfast and a shuttle are right next to each other.

Once you get past walking distance it doesn't really matter where the hotel is as long as it provides a shuttle service. If I didn't have food allergies those hotels would be rather tempting as there are not many breakfast options around the TCC and hotels tend to charge a bunch for breakfast.

---
It's really a shame that the Regal Constellation was torn down and replaced with a parking lot.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #69
Redgameboy
it's in my Dodoria wounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderboy View Post
i ended up calling the crowne and apparently theirs multiple events happening that week/weekend not just AN so theirs a lack of rooms available. I just booked mine at the holiday inn close to the airport and i got a backup 1 bed at the crowne. As of 10am this morning the crowne had 4 rooms left.
I tried to book at Crowne last week. I feel a fool. They weren't accepting reservations in early June so I didn't give it any thot for many months. LOTS of things happened w/me so I only jumped on board in the last month and they still only have some 1-bed rooms. I booked it and will check in daily for openings, but that's probably fruitless.... only a tiny fraction of a percent cancel the reservations and that's probably in April or later.
Nuthin but blind optimism to fuel me. :/

So how long roughly after AN does Crowne Plaza's AN rate rooms open for reservation? I'd like to know for AN'15.
and when does Holiday Inn East open?
Redgameboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #70
Redgameboy
it's in my Dodoria wounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareyuNanami View Post
SUPER Pissed off... got into the Rad this year.
Well my now EX BOYFRIEND booked it under HIS name. He told me if we broke up, he would change the name over to me cues his grandma lives 5 minutes from the convention. WELL ... he broke up with me. AND WONT change it over ! me at 6 friends are now out of a hotel room and I am just SUPER pissed!!
ARRRRG .. lets hope I can grab something =_=
that uber sucks!! I'm so angry for you. What a douche. If he's got that free option w/family, why not why not use it and give you the res name? (wait, do you mean 5min by car?)
If I was a girl and had a 2-bed room (rather than my 1-bed), I'd offer you all space; since I like to save on high hotel costs, and my own friends aren't super reliable for helping me fill my room. Is there a plan B you've enacted since then? if not, maybe plead your case in the AN upper forum, in a new thread. MAYBE there's someone like me that needs ppl that won't bail at last min.
Redgameboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #71
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Days Inn is showing that it's closed on google maps and trip advisor has it under the name "Pearson Hotel Conference Centre Toronto Airport". The reviews seem to have tanked for it, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Unread 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #72
Gohan Som

I just booked my room at Indigo fairly easily. Even without the AN rate I'm only paying about $10 more then last year. The distance factor never really bothered me it didn't seem too bad at all but then I rarely have very movement limiting cosplays. Starting to get really excited for AN again can't wait to go.
Gohan Som is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #73
th3ch0s3n0n3

Just tried to book at the sandman and they said they're full? Two days ago they had plenty of room. I hate my life sometimes.

Edit: Just called back not 10 minutes later and booked two rooms. I call shenanigans.

Last edited by th3ch0s3n0n3 : 01-04-2014 at 08:24 PM.
th3ch0s3n0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #74
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3ch0s3n0n3 View Post
Just tried to book at the sandman and they said they're full? Two days ago they had plenty of room. I hate my life sometimes.
Well tickets went on sale so people are suddenly thinking about the convention. Makes sense.

Edit: Still seeing room though...

Last edited by DireKitty : 01-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #75
th3ch0s3n0n3

As I previously mentioned in my edit, I got my two rooms that i wanted. I'm just posting again to let anyone who wants to reserve a room at the Sandman that...

A) they should reserve A.S.A.P., as one of the times I called they said the place was full. So maybe they are running out of room, so book sooner rather than later.

B) Ask for the "Weekend Best" rate on the Friday and/or Saturday. I had to call 3 or 4 different operators to get this rate, but be persistent! I might even call back again to see if I can get a lower rate on the Thursday night that I'm staying there too. But my advice: book first, then call and complain later.
th3ch0s3n0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote