Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #1891
Seifer-sama

@ Zaiten: You are right to fear dyeing... At least with painting or embroidery, you can fix something if you make a mistake... it doesn't seem like you have the same luxury with dyes. At least, that's why it scares me. :P Well that and it always seems like an all day process.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #1892
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Ugh. Yes, that is the problem with dyeing. Once you splatter, etc. it's done and the only thing you can do is try to cover it up with paint, embroidery or clever draping. I had a few splatter/drip errors with the Yuna yukata and the only thing that saved me from attempt 5 was that it could be covered by the painted patterns.

For Rosa, I'm going to have to do two different gradient dyes (one on each end of the cape) with resists and then add the detailed bits by painting the dye around the resisted parts. It should be...interesting.
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #1893
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Dye is a wonderful and evil thing all rolled into one. Not for the faint of heart, but if you don't mind being a mad scientist for half a day, it's a lot of fun. XD

Celes progress: Finally patterning things out. I have a deadline of getting this finished by the end of the month. *looks at the calendar* Crap. *goes back to sewing*
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #1894
Seifer-sama

@ kaligoddess: I am glad you were able to save your Yuna. It sounds like your Rosa project will be a monster... and I thought my Terra cape was tough. I am sure you will do an awesome job though.

@ Tifaia: You are so right about dyeing projects. Ha ha!! I am glad you are getting some work done on Celes though! I am so excited to see this costume in person (even if you set crazy deadlines for yourself). :P

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #1895
Zaiten

Think I'll settle for practicing on some scraps when I'm not working on anything. =) Baby steps! But for now.. Micaiah's dress. And trying to figure out how to travel 45 minutes to another town to get to a Joann's.

Edit: I have some shots of my Micaiah wig and the very first in-progress shot of her dress on my tumblr. I'm so happy to see it slowly starting to come together. If only all my other ideas were this easy. :3

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer

Last edited by Zaiten : 11-14-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #1896
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

You know what's awesome? Finding silk in the right shade of ivory for 70% off so I can use regular dyes for proteins. So relieved.

Also, I now have 6 yards of poly 'silk' that I can now use to make another Rosa dress for after I have the baby. Win/win, I guess.
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #1897
Seifer-sama

@ Zaiten: It sounds like you are in a similar situation to me! I have to travel about an hour to get to the nearest Joanns as well. It never stops me from going there of course. :P I am glad to see you are making progress!

@ kaligoddess: Awesome find!! I love it when that happens.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #1898
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Decision time:
On one hand, I could use the Matilda or Ferrari from Arda into the wavy look of Rosa's illustarions. I vastly prefer this look.

On the other hand, I could finangle the half-up half-down version from an Ivy-Long by using the extra length as wefts and I have a $50 GC to the cosplay.com store (plus it's 2 for 1 atm)
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #1899
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

...Sorry I haven't posted here in forever! (or actually any posts on coscom) Do tell me what's up! I miss all you peoples.

Celes's opera dress has been keeping be super busy, too busy that I don't have enough time to work on my other FF cosplays. Dx I posted some very boring progress pictures here, but most of you I think have already seen them lol. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lilia...02981&type= 1

@kaligoddess: I hear you on the fabric dye part!! I always had to have my mom or someone hold onto the dyed piece of fabric for me, so I wouldn't have to worry about splattering dye. (*cough* like summoner Yuna's sleeves..) 4 arms are great to have.
I love those wig choices! I especially like the Matilda lacefront one (even though it's $65) XD Because it reminds me of Rosa's Amano designs. But Ferrari would work just as fine, and is miles cheaper.

@tifalala: Oh! You trying to get your Celes done by the end of the month too?? Can we be a team? 8D

@Seifer-samalalala: *glomp*
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1900
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

@Lil: I'd love to have you on my team. We'd get so much stuff done! XD I'll even be your dye buddy, because I love to dye. lol

@kaligoddess: I'm a big fan of the Ferrari. I've used it one 3 of my costumes now and have been able to style it multiple ways without worry. Really easy to work with. And there are ways to cheat the front so it looks more like the Amano design.

@Seifer: HI!!!!! Dude, Fanime is not that far away. >.> I'm so behind on stuff for that! >_<
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #1901
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

@tifaia, how thick is the Ferrari? I figure if I'm going to have to add some wefts in, I might as well just spring for the Matilda. I actually have The Dude (for Kain) and I know the lacefronts have a decent amount of fullness.
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #1902
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

kaligoddess: This might help as a reference: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/437189/

I guess it really depends on how thick you want it to be. Arda's are notorious for being much fuller/thicker then most other brands. But yeah, if you feel you're going to want to add in wefts you may as well spring for the Matilda. lol I guess as a comparison, it's much thicker then the CosCom one you posted, but not as thick as Matilda (which is only a slight bit more wefts).
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #1903
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifaia View Post
kaligoddess: This might help as a reference: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/437189/

I guess it really depends on how thick you want it to be. Arda's are notorious for being much fuller/thicker then most other brands. But yeah, if you feel you're going to want to add in wefts you may as well spring for the Matilda. lol I guess as a comparison, it's much thicker then the CosCom one you posted, but not as thick as Matilda (which is only a slight bit more wefts).
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I find Arda's wigs are fuller than most at the bottom and not so much at the 'roots'.
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #1904
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligoddess View Post
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I find Arda's wigs are fuller than most at the bottom and not so much at the 'roots'.
Oh goodness. You need to play with the Jareth wigs (from Arda) then. Even after doing cutting/styling it makes my head so big and thick! It's anime crazy. XD I keep trying to thin it out at the roots and it's still so thick...*thud*

Good luck to you on the hunt! ^^
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #1905
~H~
Original H

Hi Everyone ^_^

I'm a longtime fan of the classic FF characters. It has taken me forever to cosplay as one, but I've finally got a White Mage under my belt ^_-. I hope to do more in the future!
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote