Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #2131
Seifer-sama

@ Tabby Catty: That's probably a wise choice to have a bit of a practice before you tackle those detailed designs.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #2132
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

HI EVERYONE!

Man it has felt like it has been ages since I was last here. I hope everyone's progress is going well!

I'm slowly getting to work on Leila. Here's the latest shot: https://www.facebook.com/TifaIACospl...94577720629512 though I may scrap the skirt and start over. I'm just not liking how it's photographing with the flash. :/
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #2133
MissLunatic
Someone

@tifaia:
Welcome back.^^ That was exactly what I felt like when I wrote my last post here.
Your cos looks nice already and well-sewn. But I understand your problem with the flashy skirt. Sometimes it looks so very different in pictures than in RL -.-'''.
Maybe the details (and I have to admit I don't know what the character in question looks like at all) might really even it out.

@seifer:
There is a good chance now, I think . The con last weekend was really fun and it's not that I need attention but I was really surprised how many ppl were interested in our FF VI cosplays o.O. As already said here in Germany FF VI is rather unknown. VII, possibly VIII and now XIII are the games everyone cosplays from regarding the series. So it was a great surprise to be recognized nonetheless.

You are right about developing or learning techniques. But that's part of the fun to my mind.
And you are also right about the moving back part. Sometimes out of a lack of time (or very rarely better ideas) I add more details or accessories to a cosplay only later on. (e.g. adding a painted pattern on clothes or a whole weapon) I don't like wearing cosplays only once anyway. And sometimes I have to repair stuff and try to improve its stability or look.

Besides I guess I'm rather happy with my Locke cosplay in the end, although I made some last minute choices. So many thanks for your wishes ^^.

Upcoming:
Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)
Young Griff (A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance with Dragons)
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2)
Ling Yao (Gluttony's Belly) (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Upgrading:
Kagari Shusei (Psycho-Pass)
Okita Souji (Hakuouki)
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #2134
Seifer-sama

@ Tifaia: Welcome back! I just loved your progress so far. I am so sorry to hear that you had to scrap it. I hope that the next go around works better for you.

@ MissLunatic: I think it's so cool that you guys picked the obscure FF6 to cosplay and you found so many people who were interested in you guys! It's nice when the underdog gets some needed attention.

I do agree though, learning new and better ways to do things is definitely part of the fun. I also love challenging myself with costumes that might be a bit beyond my skill level. I think it's one of the many ways you can learn new things. If you keep doing things you know, you don't learn as much. And I totally agree on the not wearing cosplays once. I can't believe someone would put so much effort into something and only wear it once. O_O

In any case, I am glad to hear that you were happy with your Locke and that you plan on adding more to him.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #2135
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

yeah, nobody even recognized Ursula at all...
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #2136
Seifer-sama

@ Tabby Catty: Oh bummer. I worry I might have the same reaction when I finally cosplay Minwu. I wonder how many people will call me the Moonlight Knight. :P

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #2137
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Yeah, I did still have fun with my boyfriend at is first con (though it was kind of overwhelming for him, like, really overwhelming). People thought I was some generic woman in a qipao or something. One girl at the photoshoot thought I was Sheila and I was like "No, I'm the daughter, if I was Sheila I would probably be carrying around a frying pan"

When my boyfriend and I finally get around to cosplaying Cecil and Rosa, we might have a better shot, even though it is their After Years versions. We're both broke right now and its a few years down the road, but man, I just can't wait.

Last edited by Tabby Catty : 08-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Tabby Catty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #2138
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Maybe 5 people at Katsucon recognized my TAY Rosa. I might have faired better with a Paladin Cecil, but people just haven't played the game.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #2139
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

yeah, I just like TAY Rosa just due to the weather in Northern Michigan where it gets cold for nine months out of the year (but then those three months, it gets reeeeeeeeally hot which is why I may need a cooling vest for Cecil for under his armor since my boyfriend is very, very heat intolerant). TAY!Cecil is not too different than Cecil in his paladin armor in FFIV as opposed to Rosa who dresses more age-appropriately in TAY. So I'm sure I would be a little more easily noticeable. He hasn't cosplayed before so this will be a new experience for him when we cosplay together. He is one of those people who likes to be more under the radar though so it will definitely interesting how much he likes it when we do Dragon Quest V sometime next year.

But yeah, its kind of a shame more people haven't played those games. Sometimes I feel like my tastes are a little too unique compared to everyone else's.

Edit: Infact, if our cosplays aren't noticeable, maybe it will workout for my boyfriend who likes being a little more under the radar.

Last edited by Tabby Catty : 08-04-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Tabby Catty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #2140
MissLunatic
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby Catty View Post
Sometimes I feel like my tastes are a little too unique compared to everyone else's.
It may be difficult to be recognized sometimes. But all in all isn't this a good thing? I love
variety. It's good if not everyone dresses up in a uniform way. (Although I have to plead guilty of falling for "overcosplayed" characters as often as for very old stuff.)

Upcoming:
Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)
Young Griff (A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance with Dragons)
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2)
Ling Yao (Gluttony's Belly) (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Upgrading:
Kagari Shusei (Psycho-Pass)
Okita Souji (Hakuouki)
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #2141
Seifer-sama

@ kaligoddess, Tabby Catty, & MissLunatic: I think kali hit the nail on the head. Most gamers started with FF7 and never went back. Personally I think the old school games are where it's at. It seems to me that originally the old school fans were very out numbered by the FF7 and up crowd, but I think with the Dissidia games and some of the DS remakes people are going back to the older FF's. I am seeing a lot more FF4 than I ever used to. I also agree with MissLunatic, I love seeing the undercosplayed characters, even if most people don't recognize them, there are a few hardcore fans out there who know who you are and appreciate the fact that you did pick an undercosplayed character. Like you Miss, I am very guilty of picking the over cosplayed as well... Shame on me! I should practice what I preach. :P

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #2142
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Yeah, I personally grew up with the SNES version of FFIV and I played it with my cousins a lot so I always liked the game. Infact, Kain was like my first fictional crush, mostly out of pity and the fact that he was very similar to Lancelot, but yeah... the later games just never really appealed to me at all. Only IX appeals to me and some of the old-school-style spin-offs like Dimensions (which is AWESOME!) My boyfriend is the same way, as a matter of fact, we like Dragon Quest better since we find it tends to be more consistent quality-wise.

I'm kind of tempted to cosplay Barbara now I'll admit.
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #2143
Seifer-sama

@ Tabby Catty: That's awesome! I have to admit my first FF was FF7, and at the time I did like it, but when I got the chance to play the older ones, it fell out of my favorites. Like you, I think the later ones just fell short of the fantasy genre, it felt more like science fiction to me. Excluding FF9, which I now have a lot more respect for than I used to, now that I am more familiar with the older titles.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #2144
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

You know, that's the reason why I don't like the later ones. They are too Sci-Fi and not enough Fantasy. The earlier ones had a more Dungeons and Dragons vibe that I liked and well, it is called Final FANTASY.

Okay, woah, maybe I won't cosplay Barbara, I saw her official artwork and it looks heck of a lot more complicated, plus, the way she poses in the official artwork does not give me a good picture of some parts of the outfit especially her white sarong thing she wears.

Now Gawain the paladin, he looks pretty doable and again, he definitely helps me with
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #2145
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Tabby-Cat, your boyfriend reminds me of the first time I convinced my now husband to cosplay with me. We were Guy and Lee from Naruto and a little too popular. It was sadly the last time he ever cosplayed with me because he doesn't like the attention.

I love seeing obscure cosplays, even if I don't know the series. Even if a costume is well done, if I've seen 12 already that day I just can't get excited anymore. And yes, the hardcore few who know who your obscure costume is are usually awesome to talk to.

In actual cosplay news, I'm debating taking up my wonderflex to my parents house when we go visit in September so I can knock out Edward's armor. On one hand, I have to lug all my tools 300+ miles. On the other hand, free babysitting and lots of free time.