Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #1141
han-pan

Honestly, I think the Amano versions of characters are absolutely GORGEOUS, but at the same time I feel like people just say they're doing the "Amano version of insertanycharacterhere" just to feel like they're actually a character. Or they'll have one thing similar to the Amano or original, but then the rest is just them going off and having a bumawesome time making random stuff to toss onto their costume because they think it'd be cool. That's just what I tend to notice, and it does make me kind of sad.

With that said, I have been contemplating doing both the sprite and Amano/FMV version of Celes from FFVI. Luckily for that character, the Amano design was taken exactly for the FMV in the PSOne version of the game. So there is actually a good amount of reference for that costume. I've also absolutely dreampt of doing the opera dress for so long... -tear- I absolutely adore that sequence, and her dress is just so gorgeous. TwT

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #1142
refia

I'm actually going to make a Rydia costume for my next con. :3
I caaan't wait, because I've wanted to dress up as her since I was 8. XD

Ugh.....amano characters. They are obviously just an excuse for cosplayers to show off their 'skills'. I wonder how much people they could blind with all that...shine. I think they're just...stupid. They don't even do the actual Amano designs. That's like saying, oh the costume is completely innacurate but it's still Rydia norly! ...agh.
But still, I shouldn't complain as my design's just a mix of her DS design and her original sprite.

..... /rant. lol
refia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #1143
han-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by refia View Post
I'm actually going to make a Rydia costume for my next con. :3
I caaan't wait, because I've wanted to dress up as her since I was 8. XD

Ugh.....amano characters. They are obviously just an excuse for cosplayers to show off their 'skills'. I wonder how much people they could blind with all that...shine. I think they're just...stupid. They don't even do the actual Amano designs. That's like saying, oh the costume is completely innacurate but it's still Rydia norly! ...agh.
But still, I shouldn't complain as my design's just a mix of her DS design and her original sprite.

..... /rant. lol
Well it will still be her recognizably well, right? I think mixing different versions (sprite, DS, amano?) could work so long as you can still identify the character. What makes me kinda "eeerrrhhhhh...." on Amano costumes is just what you said, those who don't even do the actual designs but just throw on every thing they can think of and then say that's who their character is, when there's no recognizable link to said character. >_> I guess it's their interpretation of it, and I think original interpretations can be REALLY cool....so long as you can still tell who on earth they are D:

Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

Unread 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #1144
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@han and refia: Ugh I hate the ones also that toss all sorts of garbage on it .__.! I'm almost done with my Amano Aeris, and I actually did use (one of the many) illustrations for my direct reference for it...until I found out her sash is a cape, which I thought was dumb b/c clearly it's a sash, so I kept it that way XD;. Other than that most of my "bling" (if you can even call it that b/c it isn't very overbearing) is from the jewelry and that's it lol. Amano never put too much designs onto Aeris' dresses anyway, b/c he kept it simple like Nomura did .

ANYWAY. I'm all for interpretations and stuff, or even hybrids like refia's Rydia (I planned one for Krile b/c I don't like how her colors/outfit are so much like Terra's .__.; her sprite colors are beautiful).....but Amano was never all about mixing all sorts of Swarovski crystals and adding a thousand sash belts together .__. In fact I think he's more of an artist that experiments with colors and textures/fabrics, and many times his illustrations don't even have this mysterious bling some cosplayers put on their costumes ;;;. It's sad to see it get all lost in translation, but if the end result still looks really good, I'll give them that lol.
Sunday - Espeon Gijinka (Pokemon)
snowkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #1145
han-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkirby View Post
....but Amano was never all about mixing all sorts of Swarovski crystals and adding a thousand sash belts together .__. In fact I think he's more of an artist that experiments with colors and textures/fabrics, and many times his illustrations don't even have this mysterious bling some cosplayers put on their costumes ;;;.
Yes! You hit the nail on the HEAD on what I was trying to explain :3 So...thank you. Hahah. I'm so happy that I'm not alone in this ^__^
Oh man how excited are people about Amano being at NYAF? Hahahah my friend is so upset--she was supposed to go up and interview him for FFXII.net, but it didn't work out which is a pity. Oh well. It happens.

I'm trying to decide if I want to make everything for my Terra costume straight from scratch...namely, the leotard is what I had in mind. I don't really mind making it, I'm perfectly able to. Am I lazy enough that I'd rather purchase one, or should I really just make it?

Unread 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #1146
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@han: lol I would looove to go to NYAF b/c I'm about an hour or so away from Manhattan, but my classes got in the way this year ._. (plus whoever heard of a NY con not in the wintertime? Other than last year's New York Comic Con, and when Big Apple Anime Fest used to exist). I would love to see Amano tho, he's one of my fav artists (and that says a lot b/c I don't have too many favorite artists, lmao!).

For your Terra, I'm assuming it's the sprite version you're talking about?? If you're up for the challenge I say go for it but otherwise I might look into buying one in case of a backup, or even to dissect it to see how the patterns work lol. Good luck with Terra ^_^
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #1147
lunaishtar

I suppose that saying "i'm doing amano version" is really a excuse to do wathever you like in the costume, but i think that hybrids just like the one refia mentioned are cool 'cuz you still can reconize the character. An example is the Rosa in our FFIV that mixed the amano and DS versions (but the most of it is the DS).
lunaishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #1148
Isadora

Well I think the chances and "no-gos" for doing an Amano costumes is, that depending on the character they are drawn more or less detailed. I did Amano Hilda /FFII) two years ago and the drawing was really vage in some areas. There are some really awesome Amano costumes out there but I a gree it should not end in "how much blingbling is possible to add before I break down".

Otherwise I am really curious about some plans I have read so far and I love to see that the older games get some more attention :-)
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #1149
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Hmm, I have a plan in the works to do what I'm referring to as an "Amano-ized" version of a character who doesn't have any official character art at all, just a sprite. Which basically is going to mean some patterned fabrics, possibly some fringe and/or tassles. Because otherwise, it's going to look pathetic next to the actual Amano versions of the characters I'll be cosplaying next to who DO have official art covered with patterns and fringe and tassles. (Same as what happened when I did a partial-Amano Edward, and realized my girlfriend would look REALLY LAME if I just stuck her in a plain sleeveless yellow dress with a purple belt to be Anna with me, except this time she's the one wearing partial-Amano. )

But obviously, I won't say it's the "Amano version", because everyone knows there's no Amano artwork (or any artwork) of such a minor character. "Amano-ized" works for me, though.
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #1150
han-pan

Quote:
For your Terra, I'm assuming it's the sprite version you're talking about?? If you're up for the challenge I say go for it but otherwise I might look into buying one in case of a backup, or even to dissect it to see how the patterns work lol. Good luck with Terra ^_^
Lmfao I totally meant "Celes" when I said that. But that's okay, because I've been considering doing Terra anyway. XD! I have sewn a bunch before, so I do have a pretty good understanding of how patterns work. Which is helpful. xD It's more of a matter of finding a good style that fits generally well and that I should be able to modify without much trouble. That's probably easier than finding a whole leotard that's exactly the style and color I want.

Unread 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #1151
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@han: lol ahh XD! Celes makes a lot more sense too with your leotard problem tho. My friend Kazephyr here at the forums is making a sprite Celes as well but I think she's doing more of a top-and-shorts than the leotard. Anyhow..you have a point lol. Leotards are a tough garment to find that fits well lol, so I hope your's works out well ^_^.

@Andrea: ahh was it your gf who was being the Amano-ized Anna that stopped by here?? It was months ago lol, but I remember trying to help her out when she had a question hehe. I love it when people cosplay the more uncommon/side characters it's a nice change of pace. Good luck with your's !
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #1152
Tiara

Quote:
@han and refia: Ugh I hate the ones also that toss all sorts of garbage on it .__.! I'm almost done with my Amano Aeris, and I actually did use (one of the many) illustrations for my direct reference for it...until I found out her sash is a cape, which I thought was dumb b/c clearly it's a sash, so I kept it that way XD;. Other than that most of my "bling" (if you can even call it that b/c it isn't very overbearing) is from the jewelry and that's it lol. Amano never put too much designs onto Aeris' dresses anyway, b/c he kept it simple like Nomura did .

ANYWAY. I'm all for interpretations and stuff, or even hybrids like refia's Rydia (I planned one for Krile b/c I don't like how her colors/outfit are so much like Terra's .__.; her sprite colors are beautiful).....but Amano was never all about mixing all sorts of Swarovski crystals and adding a thousand sash belts together .__. In fact I think he's more of an artist that experiments with colors and textures/fabrics, and many times his illustrations don't even have this mysterious bling some cosplayers put on their costumes ;;;. It's sad to see it get all lost in translation, but if the end result still looks really good, I'll give them that lol.

Really I don't think Amano Terra and Amano Krile look that much alike outfit wise. Terra is obviously wearing a dress while Krile wears more of a strapless leotard thing. Terra has a lot more scarves and other details going on as well. There is also a lot more artwork for Terra than Krile though. Krile's outfit actually looks more pink/rose color to me than red like Terra's dress.

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...7/5-cara-a.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...ed/Terra_V.jpg

Last edited by Tiara : 09-10-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Tiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #1153
han-pan

Quote:
@han: lol ahh XD! Celes makes a lot more sense too with your leotard problem tho. My friend Kazephyr here at the forums is making a sprite Celes as well but I think she's doing more of a top-and-shorts than the leotard. Anyhow..you have a point lol. Leotards are a tough garment to find that fits well lol, so I hope your's works out well ^_^.
Lol thanks XDD Even for Terra though, the sprite looks like she's wearing a red/pink leotard...idunno. Lmfao. I haven't done a good search for Terra sprites and stuff =P

I've seen a couple topandshorts Terras and they're verra naice x] I don't think, however, that I have the patience to either locate or try to dye both a top and shorts to be exactly the same color green.

There are enough patterns out there FOR it. I suppose I could just look around and alter one that I find. It's not all THAT difficult...

Unread 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #1154
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Wow, this board sure revived in the time I've been absent. xD Good to see it getting more attention, though. ^^ Sounds like everyone has some pretty awesome costumes planned. ^^

Anyway, I definitely agree with the people here when it comes to Amano costumes... Why do people treat Amano versions as an excuse to go off-the-chain wild with random add-ons to the outfit? Some designs are kind of hard to make out as a costume reference, but I always do my best to remain as true to the artwork as possible. Creative liberties are great, but... it shouldn't look like you just raided a clearance bin of assorted jewelry and hair-clips and called it Amano. -_-;;

Quote:
lol ahh XD! Celes makes a lot more sense too with your leotard problem tho. My friend Kazephyr here at the forums is making a sprite Celes as well but I think she's doing more of a top-and-shorts than the leotard. Anyhow..you have a point lol. Leotards are a tough garment to find that fits well lol, so I hope your's works out well ^_^.
Leotards+me=... not happening. xD They always emphasize things in all the wrong places for me... ^^;; My shorts are so tiny that they're practically as revealing, anyway... but at least they're not stretchy, lol. ^^;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
I've seen a couple topandshorts Terras and they're verra naice x] I don't think, however, that I have the patience to either locate or try to dye both a top and shorts to be exactly the same color green.
I made both from scratch, as I'm not fond of dyeing /anything/. ^^;; 90% of the time I'm much less afraid of having to make something than I am of having to deal with dye. ^^;;

Last edited by Kazephyr : 09-11-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Kazephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #1155
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@tiara: that's true, Krile's is more leotardish but the colors are rather close. Personally, I think it's a bit too close for comfort, but I think it's b/c I really prefer her sprite colors better. Yellow and blue are very nice together that and pink and green are one of my fav color combos XD.

@kaze: I know I'm so happy this thread got really kicking again XD; it makes me shed a tear in joy ;; I've been following this thread for way too long, plus after my last post nearly killed it for a full year .__. ;;; It was kinda depressing lmao. Don't you hate it when you're the last person to post and then no one does for weeks/months ;;;?? Happens to me a lot :/.

Anyway, augh leotards look so bad on me lol; I wore one for Batgirl, and despite me wearing it over my tights so it wouldn't be so bad (and I had the nifty bat-buckle)...just no lmao! I think it's b/c I'm a bit curvier so..leotards don't really show off the good parts ;;