Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #1171
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

The thing with "Salsa" was that it actually messed up a plot point. I mean, in the original Japanese, the pirates thought her name was "Faris" because she had a lisp as a kid and couldn't say "Sarisa" right. How you get from "Salsa" to "Faris", though, is beyond me.

And yeah, Bartz and Reina aren't terrible (pretty much on par with changing "Tina" to "Terra" in FFVI), but I'd been referring to them by their official names for years, so it was just "WTF!" when the translation came out and changed them. :P I like Butz as Butz, frankly, because it suits him - dorkiest FF main character ever, and I adore him for it. I mean, for half the game your party is Butz - and three princesses. And the princesses can all beat him up. Even the little girl.

Unread 10-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #1172
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

I know XD; I guess it fits b/c of that. I like "Terra" better than "Tina" but both can work well tho. Poor..Butz..or Bartz..;;
Sunday - Espeon Gijinka (Pokemon)
snowkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #1173
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Andrea: I've only ever played the Advance release of FFV, so I knew them all by their properly translated names, the lone exception being Bartz. ^^;; Princess Salsa... that name troubles me... xD I prefer Lenna over Reina, even though Reina isn't really a bad translation. Butz... well, I guess you're right about it fitting, lol. ^^;; It never even occurred to me... but you're right. The princesses /could/ beat him up, couldn't they? xD

Last edited by Kazephyr : 10-03-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Kazephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #1174
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazephyr View Post
Envel: Hi. ^^

I adore Rosa's outfits; I can't wait to see your progress. ^^ Best of luck with it. ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkirby View Post
@Envel: yay good luck with Rosa! I love her new armor too! Those gauntlets are badass!

Thanks, guys! We'll see where I go with it. I've almost finished the embroidery and beading across the bottom of the bodice and I'm preparing to add the pleated (or gathered, I haven't decided) breast cups, so I might MIGHT have some progress pictures worth showing soon.

Tubes of Beads: 2
Packs of Embroidery Floss: about 10...

Envel: 0... I'm getting there.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #1175
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@Envel: lol glad to hear that Rosa's coming along ^_^! That's a lot of beads =O! Can't wait to see the pics when you get them up
Unread 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #1176
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Envel: I can't wait to see your progress for Rosa. ^^ From the sounds of it, I'm sure it will be beautiful. ^^ It sounds like you're really putting a lot of work into it. ^^
Unread 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #1177
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

A minor update I guess, but I decided to put up a pic of the few fabrics I found so far for both Amano Terra and my hybrid Krile. I don't know when I'm working on those two tho, but that doesn't stop me from saving up on nice fabric now eh XD? The pic is in my in-progress gallery .

edit--I got new shoes for Terra ^_^. My Target officially sucks with clearance items period (b/c they no longer have any except in the Women's section). I went to my Filene's Basement b/c their sales are love, and I got the most comfortable heels ever for ten bucks XD;

Last edited by snowkirby : 10-11-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Unread 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #1178
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Oh yay! I'm getting materials together for making my Otakon '09 group's FF3 sprite costumes. We have a black mage, shaman, and red mage (me). I'm at a loss for what fabrics to get, though. We don't just want plain flat color costumes, really, and were thinking that jacquard and fabrics like this for the costumes, but I've having a little trouble finding things in the right colors. Do you guys have any fabric suggestions? (I know nothing about taffeta, but it looks really nice >.>)

Envel: Your Rosa costume sounds really awesome so far! I really can't wait to see progress pictures

Last edited by ShaylaTheRoo : 10-16-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: wrong job class name, oops!
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #1179
Darksilverhawk
Now in 3 fun colors!

Does anyone have any pattern suggestions for Summoner Refia's blouse?

(I'm also thinking about making it out of a velvet-type fabric. What do you think about that?)

"Any problem can be solved with some sort of pin. Safety pins, bobby pins, any pins; anytime you have a problem, just use the corresponding type of pin!" - My friend. Not a cosplayer, but wise indeed.
Darksilverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #1180
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@Shayla: hmmmm I only know some on fabrics, soo I don't know a lot about jacquard. However from looking at the pics of it..it has a nice suttle pattern for it so it doesn't make it look flat, but just be careful not to pic a print that pops out too much. Most of the classic Job classes, even from FF3, sometimes don't have a lot of texture/pattern on their fabrics, so be careful when looking for a fabric that has a small detail so it doesn't look flat.

If you have a JoAnn's by you, I would quickly photograph the fabrics (preferably with a digital cam) to see how well they take to flashes, b/c even if they look suttle under the store's lights and even sunlight, when you get photographed, the pattern could suddenly pop up and it'll look like an eyesore :/.

Otherwise, the fabric you showed can go either way, b/c the picture's lighting worries me (I dunno if it was taken near sunlight so there's no flash, or it does look like that with flash). I would look around and compare fabrics, but in the worst-case that none of them work out, I would stick to a more plain fabric just to be safe. I hope this helps!

(I don't know a lot about taffeta either but it looks fun XD; )

@Dark: hmmm a velvet could work out, as long as it isn't too shiny. Simplicity #4177 has a general blouse pattern that you can modify. For the cuffs you can add on those easily, as they're thickly pleated and can be gathered onto the ends of the sleeves.

For the "triangle" ends on her blouse (the darker fabric) you can add those onto the end (none of the patterns I found had that detail obviously ^_^;; ). I hope this helps!
Unread 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #1181
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

I've decided to go plain on all of the fabric as far as patterns go after all. My personal costume requires such massive amounts of fabric (thanks to my cape) that I'd rather get a nice-quality plain fabric than a really cheapo one because it's decorative. eBay has become a good friend lately, ha ha. My group is hoping that if we find another person to split the hotel cost with us that they'll be willing to cosplay. If they aren't, though, they I have an excuse to make a plushie :3

::WV Pop Culture Con::
-Poison Ivy (Saturday)-
-Lady!Joker (Sunday)-

Read my nerdy rambles!
shaylatheroo.com
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #1182
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@Shayla: I love eBay too XD; I don't shop for fabric online since I'd rather see it in person, but other than if it looks good and it's a better deal on eBay, I get it from there lol. My wigs I've gotten so far (only three b/c my shelf room isn't too big :/) all were from there and they're fantastic XD;. Except I'm still combin through my long one for Amano Aeris. Evil evil!!

I hope your group cosplay goes well tho!! Ooh plushies are fun =O! Which Job class would it be??
Unread 10-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #1183
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

@snowkirby: I'm actually thinking an armored class of some sort, because none of us are melee classes (I kind of am, but I don't get armor really, ha ha). Felt plushie armor would just be adorable, so a viking or fighter are high possibilities.

::WV Pop Culture Con::
-Poison Ivy (Saturday)-
-Lady!Joker (Sunday)-

Read my nerdy rambles!
shaylatheroo.com
Unread 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #1184
snowkirby
Kaka powers - UNITE!

@Shayla: lol that's so cute!! I wish there were more plushies of armored characters (I bet there are a bunch but what I've seen don't look as cute ;; ). Good luck with it tho :3
Unread 10-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #1185
loveshacktardis
Son of a Submariner

I've actually just started an Amano-ish version of Daryl from Final Fantasy VI. I adore her character, and she's been on my to cosplay list for a while. I'm pretty excited, for some reason I really like cosplaying minor characters from FFVI

adventuresincosplay.wordpress.com
loveshacktardis is offline   Reply With Quote